Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
So, what was decided? Is it legal or illegal to move to the shoulder to let faster traffic pass?

Some, who live in Texas, say it is illegal. CmdrDewey, who, by the way, is a practicing attorney, albeit in Maine, not Texas, quoted a Texas statute that appears to say it is legal. So, which is it?

--on edit-- I just emailed the TX DOT. Given tomorrow is Christmas, I do not expect a reply for a few days. When I hear from them I'll post back here.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #22
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
It is usually done as a courtesy, but wow you take a chance on picking up lots of debris in your tires etc. It is kind of like the pull outs on the Oregon highways, but you slow down and/or stop to let the 4 or 5 behind you pass. Too many variables to my liking. We do pull over when making a right turn. I will be interested to hear what the DOT has to say.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #23
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
It is fact that traffic does tend to throw trash and NAILS to the side of the road and you do run the risk and will have more flats if you move over to let traffic pass---
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Here's another one; using the left turn lane to merge into traffic. I have been told this is illegal in TX, but I was in Henderson a couple days ago, and sure enough, a DPS officer uses the turn lane to merge. He drives probably 100 yards or more in the turn lane before entering the traffic. Man that irritates me when I'm trying to get over for a left turn, and there is someone running along side me in that lane.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #25
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Having lived in Texas all my life, let me add my comments.

It all boils down to "you can pull over onto the shoulder to let faster traffic pass as long as you can do it safely." If you hit a guard rail, run into a disabled vehicle, or lose control and wipe out, you obviously weren't able to do it safely and are at fault. It comes down to judgment, which the law cannot give you.

I personally will do this if I can see the shoulder is clear of obstructions ahead, is in good condition and if it appears the traffic held up behind me will not be able to pass in the oncoming lane anytime soon.

I've never been ticketed or heard of someone ticketed for this. Maybe someone else has.

To answer some of the other questions & comments: Before you typify the Texas drivers, just remember that an awful lot of them came from somewhere else. The U-turns on the interstates are for emergency vehicles, in other words, so highway troopers can quickly come around and nail speeders in the oncoming traffic. For those who say they would never drive on the shoulder, they may be unfamiliar with the quality of Texas highways. They are generally good down to the state highway and Farm to Market level, many with wide shoulders with paving equal or almost equal to that of the main lanes.

Safe and happy traveling and come down and see us some time!
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #26
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thank you George for your insight. It is appreciated.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I might add that our experience is that most Texas drivers are very courteous. Most will pull over to let you pass if you cannot otherwise get around them. When I pull over to let them pass, the majority wave thanks. It's refreshing. This, obviously, is not in the big cities.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote