Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Max Aire for Regular Vents

I have already read the thread about the vent covers for the Fantastic vent. My question, is it worht it for me to go and get the regular vent covers for the regular vents?
Dont have them yet, and just am wondering how they perform and what the benifits are.

Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
WE have them & love them. The biggy is you can leave them open & leave & not worry about rain.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Absolutely get them. We have them and wouldn't want to be without them. The only time we close the regular vents is when it is too cold. We even keep them open when hauling the rig down the road.

Our Fantastic Vent has the rain sensor and so far I see no reason to put a cover over it. The rain sensor has never let us down. The thing even closes with a heavy dew. However we do close this one when on the road.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
On our previous TT I put the MaxxAire powered covers(but no thermostat) on the regular vents. It really helped with the air circulation in the rig, or you could just open the vents with out the fan going. Nice thing is that the fans in the covers worked for exhaust as well as incoming.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Will have to agree with Glenn as well. I have them on three out of four vents and would not be without them. I use my coach as a lake cabin when not traveling down the highways and like the fact that I can leave them open a crack to help with removing that hot air that occurs from being closed up all week. Also nice to be able to leave them open while traveling down the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
As the others have said that they are a great product, they are also very easy to install. It took me about 45 minuets to install 3 of them.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:11 AM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We found that all of the above is right. Plus we don't have any more PINE NEEDLES in our vents. Our rig is parked under a large Ponderosa and we found our vent covers and slide covers are worth there weight in not having to climb up on the rig and clean the slides every time we leave.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have covers on the bedroom and bathroom vents. We just installed a Max-air power vent with Thermostat on the vent outside the tub area. Can't wait to try it out.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I really want to get these on all our vents including the two fantastic fans so that I can run a fan in rainy or snowy weather. All of your recommendations help to confirm my "want", thank you.

Oh my so many things to buy and so many things to do.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with all the above reasons for getting the vents. We've had them on all our fifthwheels. Samantha, if you get them for your fantastic fans, get the maxxair fan/mate that's meant to handle the airflow of the FF. That's what we put on ours. I would personally still put one on even with the rain sensor so I could use the FF in the rain. That's just our opinion. And it seems there's sure been a lot of rain this year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #11
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Outstanding, just what i was looking for. Thanks for the tips.
Now, does anyone know if they happen to raise the max height above that of the AC??

Thaanks again, I will be getting them ASAP, anyone know where the best price is at?? I find, on a lot of producst, that Camping World is not the best price.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Ed,

I just saw them on sale somewhere. I'm thinking it must have been either at www.pplmotorhomes.com or www.camperschoice.com or maybe www.campingworld.com

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Another advantage they give you is being able to vent moisture from inside even when it's raining. Getting rid of moisture is very importent to prevent mold or rot especially around the windows where a lot of condensation can occur
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have them and really like them ...first thing we asked the dealer to throw in!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I was looking at them last night at Camping World, and they ARE on sale right now. The description there says they can be installed without putting holes in the roof. Is this correct? If so I might just spend a little more money on the Monty as I would like to have one in the bedroom. Our 3295RK only has one over the vent located above the bar.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Wordsmith,

The mounting holes are drilled into the side of the vents that already exist. So they do not penetrate the roof. Very easy to install. Simple instructions.

Other benefits include, if a branch or some other object were to fall onto your Rig and break your existing covers and then it rains, you got a wet rig. These are added protection for this event. I also had a vent that would open by it self going down the road, caused by the negative pressure acrossed the roof of my rig. Doesn't happen any more with the covers.

They are a must have for me.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy45

Outstanding, just what i was looking for. Thanks for the tips.
Now, does anyone know if they happen to raise the max height above that of the AC??

Thaanks again, I will be getting them ASAP, anyone know where the best price is at?? I find, on a lot of producst, that Camping World is not the best price.
Take a look at the Aero-Flo vent covers that Camping World sell. I think they are just a bit more convenient than the usual MaxxAir. The top on them opens to facillitate cleaning. Also, they have all stainless steel mounting hardware and a lower profile.

Be careful about putting any cover over a Fantastic Fan. Not Recommended by FF and there is not enough room for the lid to open fully.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Just ordered the MaxxAir and deluxe tire locking chocks from Camping World - can't wait for them to arrive. CW not only has it on sale but anything ordered over $75 shipping is $1.00 - was surprised about sales tax though, guess that is changing like everything else. I looked at all sites I could find and think CW had the best price. We looked at the Camco Aero-Flo locally but a little concerned about the construction and tabs to close the top and breakage compared to the MaxxAir.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:26 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
AZstar is correct about the easy installation and no holes in the roof. OntMont's comment about easy cleaning would be nice to have.

Another advantage is when you want to vent odors from the water closet and it is raining. With a cover, you can still do it. By the way, you might consider replacing that noisy bathroom fan with a 12v ball-bearing computer case fan. Much quieter and moves more air. I used the same wiring and switch.

We have the maxxair fan/mate cover over our FF. It is made specifically for high volume airflow and works quite well. It probably does restrict the airflow somewhat but we see it as a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to use the fan during any kind of weather. One of it's many uses is to vent moisture during showers. Our FF is in the bath hall. I would not put a standard MaxxAir or similar cover over a FF, only one made for high volume airflow. (my opinion, of course).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote