Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
ANOTHER OOPS!

Several years back at a fall rally I pulled away from the rig without disconnecting the cord from the truck. I have a Chevy, I found a replacement at the surplus store in Elkhart, but it was a Ford OEM style. The difference is that the Ford units are bolted to the mount. The Chevy plugs twist into the mount. I bolted the Ford style to the Chevy bracket. Yesterday is where the new OOPS comes in, I once again pulled away from the rig without unplugging and ripped the cap off the socket. We drove 120 miles today searching for a replacement and hit 5 or 6 places until we found Chico truck and RV. They had both Ford and Chevy style units. I got a Chevy style and asked for a second for the next time I get stupid. As it usually happens they only had the one unit but as soon as I get back to Wisconsin I will order another one. They only charged me 13 dollars for this one. When I broke the first one I checked with the Chevy dealer in Elkhart and they wanted 80 dollars. I will gladly do business with Chico Truck and RV again, long before I do business with the Chevy dealer in Elkhart.. "I am not always stupid, but when I am I prefer to correct the problem at Chico Truck and RV"

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just blame it on an air bubble Dave! They will get you every time! Only problem is that drive to Chico's to pick up that extra part!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I never buy parts from a dealer if I can get somewhere else.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I will NEVER again do business with the Chevy dealer in Elkhart.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Don't blame you, Jim! $6,000 for your problems! Absurd!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Exnavydiver...time for a check list.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
So far I've only done that once and so it may be I was just lucky. Also mine is located in the bed just in front of the wheel well so it pulled out sideways, but anyway my Dodge model wasn't damaged at all. Still using the same one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, do you have the connection inside the bed or below the bumper? Mine is below the bumper, so I see the cord when I go to lower the tailgate. I've always thought the inside connector would be nice but your post made me realize there is that drawback. Glad you were able to get another.

As for the GM dealer in Elkhart, before we bought this Dodge I drove the Ford at the Elkhart dealer and the GMC at the Elkhart dealer and the Dodge at the Nappanee dealer. I'd also driven all three in Kansas. Anyhow, I decided I wanted Vicki to go with me for a third test drive in each. When we pulled into the GMC dealership in Elkhart I really, really, really, really needed a nature call. I headed directly to the restroom while Vicki stood in the showroom. There were three or four sales persons, 3 men and 1 woman, standing in the showroom. All of them saw both of us there. Not a single one of them approached Vicki while I was otherwise busy. But as soon as I walked out of that restroom they all descended upon me before I could even get back to where she was standing. We left and she declared we will NEVER buy anything from that dealership. Period. It could have happened anywhere but it was probably that same dealership others mentioned.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've always had the truck connector in the bed and feel it is way better than down by the bumper hitch. I ALWAYS poke the camper cord, breakaway cable, and my rear camera cable up inside the pin-box for storage before pulling away. If I didn't I'd see them hanging down when I glance at the jaws on my hitch before pulling away. OK ... maybe someday that brain cell will be gone, but so far it's hanging in there with me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My plug is under the bumper still, I never got it into the bed of the truck. It goes over the tailgate and down to the socket. We spent awhile trying to get the rig even close to level. Then I blew several fuses on the landing gear, so I neglected to unplug before I slid the truck out from under the pin box. Now I have a new plug and a 40 amp breaker instead of a 30 amp fuse(or a pile of dead 30 amp fuses...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Steve,
One time, we went to buy a new car for my wife. When we took the test drive, I sat in the back since this was her car. The salesman kept turning around to ask me questions and then I would ask my wife the same question and she would answer. He did this during the whole drive and never caught on. We didn't buy from this clueless idiot.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #12
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
I like everything in one location in the bed just in front of the drivers side inner fender. When unhooking, I chock the Monty wheels, drop the front landing gear, raise to take the weight off the hitch, unhook the break-away cable, toss it over the top of the pin box, unplug the cord and toss it over also, remove the pin from the hitch, pull the release handle and drive off, everything is all in one location, it would be very hard to forget to unplug the cord, I also have a 5th wheel tailgate, so I don't have to worry about dropping that, because I suspect I would and have a screwed up tailgate
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I am glad you were able to find the part. It is a real pain when something happens and you don't have a replacement handy and have to go look for one. Safe travels on your continued trip.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Gang, the car dealerships in Elkhart have an agenda and I've not ever been able to figure it out. When it comes to my truck, I bought it and have the service done at McCormick Motors in Nappanee, IN. I tried having Naquin's in Elkhart do service on it but, they gouged me and had my service records and schedule all screwed up! So, back to McCormick's. They now handle both the Silverado and Sierra lines. As far as Ford, I have a brother-in-law who swears by Eby Ford in Goshen. I have not done any business there since 1969 when I ordered and bought my first car. A '69 candy apple red Mach 1!!! (I wish I had that car today. It'd be worth 10 times what I paid for it.)
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have never done that one! But I did forget to unplug the AC from the Camp Ground Plug. My Wife notice as I was pulling out,No damage!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, we bought this Dodge from Downey Dodge in Nappanee. We had no real service done there since we left the area shortly after purchase but I was pleased with the dealership and the delivery process.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote