Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Clothes Rod

Anyone who's gone full time will understand this one. We had way more stuff than we had ever imagined and particularly clothes. Having stored some in our storeage building and in the basement we still had a full clothes rod full in the closet. Opened the closet after we set up yesterday and there was the metal rod off the supports and bent beyond repair.
Got a home style wooden rod and some real rod holders for the ends (ours came with plastic) and went to work. Had to mark the rod and take the supports into the shop and drill a pilot hole for a screw and then use a hammer to fit them on the rod. Put the supports and attached rod back up. Ran screws in the holes to hold the rod (I have no idea how the rod kept the old metal rod in place so long) and then attached the rod holders to the wall and now we have one that can support some weight. We did sort a bag of clothes for the thrift store out before we put the others back however.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I ended up placing a piece of pvc from the floor to the middle of the rod. That took care of all the rod support problems and keeps my wife on her side of the closet.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good fences make good neighbors!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I ended up placing a piece of pvc from the floor to the middle of the rod. That took care of all the rod support problems and keeps my wife on her side of the closet.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just what size closet space do you need anyway? A couple pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans and three or four shirts on the closet rod and a pair of tennies and a pair of sandals on the floor! No need to have anymore space!
Dick- where are you at now? Thought you were still in Kansas with Dorothy!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Charlie, Your idea of a pvc support is great. I like the idea of dividing the closet into his and hers. I just wondered how
the support rod would work when placed on the 8-9 inches of my side of the clo
set which is all I am allocated.
instead of the middle.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Charlie, Noticed you said her side, not her half. Bet the piece of PVC is not in the middle of the rod! Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Dave, Look at the time stamps on our post. Marital reality must of hit us at the same time. Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

Charlie, Your idea of a pvc support is great. I like the idea of dividing the closet into his and hers. I just wondered how
the support rod would work when placed on the 8-9 inches of my side of the clo
set which is all I am allocated.
instead of the middle.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dick, we had one bust at the fall rally a couple years ago. I went to hard ware store and got one that has the center support and installed it. No problems since. We do not realize how heavy those clothes are until you try to lift them all at once.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The closet rod is one thing that I am actually impressed with on the 3750 model. The 3400 did not have any supports but the new model actually has two supports that are mounted to the top of the closet. So far no problems, but I do remember that many forum members with the 3400 model had to add supports to the rod.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Just what size closet space do you need anyway? A couple pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans and three or four shirts on the closet rod and a pair of tennies and a pair of sandals on the floor! No need to have anymore space!
Dick- where are you at now? Thought you were still in Kansas with Dorothy!
Generally in life, it's not what you need that determines what you own. Just had and continue to have a problem throwing out perfectly good stuff. This was a wakeup call and some more stuff went (probably still not enough). I'll know we succeeded at full timing when we've worn out and thrown out enough that I get to your inventory level. Wait Don't you still have a stick house
Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Dick, we had one bust at the fall rally a couple years ago. I went to hard ware store and got one that has the center support and installed it. No problems since. We do not realize how heavy those clothes are until you try to lift them all at once.
No Kidding!! Another time when I had to acknowledge that "I'm not the man I never was"
Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The closet rod is one thing that I am actually impressed with on the 3750 model. The 3400 did not have any supports but the new model actually has two supports that are mounted to the top of the closet. So far no problems, but I do remember that many forum members with the 3400 model had to add supports to the rod.
Bingo
Ours actually had two supports screwed to the angled front in front of the cap. Because of the angle those supports were almost open at the bottom. That's why when I replaced the rod I hammered those supports back on and drilled the holes for the screws so that this time the rod couldn't jump out. My guess would be that a rear bedroom would have a flat ceiling above the rod and would be easy to attach the supports so the actually held something.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When ours bent it just barely fell out of the end caps. I got a broom stick and shoved it into the metal rod after I rebent it. there was a center support screwed into the bottom of the top shelf and there is a 3/4 inch wooden plate up there as a strength member but the screws that held the center support were stripped so I filled the holes with toothpicks and gorilla glue and used BOLTS this time. It will have to take the whole shelf next time.. I also cut down my hanging stuff to a jacket, a coat and a rainsuit.. The rest can fold into a drawer since T-shirts don't need to be hanging up...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
On our 3400 the rod also bent right in the middle. Jim straightened it out and put a wooden rod through it for extra support.

Admit that I did change the amount of clothes that we (I take) but for all of you ladies, I bought very light weight clothes hangers......
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
For your future reference- When the closet rod comes down, replace the rod with a piece of 2 inch electric conduit- Ours has been holding up for about 6 years without any problems- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
When DW opened the closet door on our 1st trip to the Q and saw all of her clothes on the floor, she commented that perhaps she may have packed too much. That thought quickly left as she said it must have been crappy materials. I replaced mine with a 3/4 galvanized steel water pipe. Now she can include Stanley's wardrobe. I'm allowed a small drawer in the corner.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I know what you mean.