Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Charleston SC

I just got word this morning we will be heading to Charleston SC the beginning of March for a 8 month stint of work at the Air Force Base. I was just wondering if any of you could recommend a nice and affordable campground near there. I have looked at Lake Aire RV Park in Hollywood and New Green Acres RV Park in Waltherboro.

Between those two I was liking New Green Acres, but that is a bit far from the job (47miles). I really don't want to stay at a KOA,which is the closest I think, as I feel they are overpriced(more than twice other parks). I would like something real close because of the hours(14-16 a day x 6) we work. I don't want to spend my few hours I have left each day commuting for work. That is the good thing about having a home on wheels, you can choose how close or not you want to be to work.

It is just myself and wife with 2 small dogs, so we don't need a playground, swimming, or etc.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Sorry I can't help with the parks but you may want to call the KOA if it is close to where you want to be. I have found that even though they are usually higher on their daily rates they often have monthly rates that are more in line with the surrounding area. May be worth a phone call.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Campground at James Island, several MOCers report that they really like it.

Even tho my daddy lived on James Island MANY years ago, I have never been to the park.

Have no idea if there are monthly rates or not.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Thank you so far.

I have called the closest KOA and was very shocked at the LOW price they quoted me. I am glad I did take your advice Phil and call,because I had my doubts. 2 years ago we had to stay at one because it was the only place available. We paid close to $1500 a month . This one quoted about a third of that, which would be great .

I have checked a few others I have found online, but have'nt got ahold of James Island yet. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
We stayed at Lake Aire RV a few years ago, it rained pretty hard and the site we had was flooded. I wasn't sure if we were going to get out cause of all the mud, the sites then were just grass.

Oh, and the train every hour of so, 24 hours a day got old real fast.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Junglejim you need to ck on James Island County Park. I have not stayed there but a friend has and it is suppose to be really nice and rite across the river from charleston. I was stationed at Charleston AFB along time ago!!!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
James Island is a nice park. We've been going to "Chucktown" for about twenty years. Had two sons grad. from Citadel. J I is our favorite. Although it is a county park, it is excellent. Many ameneties. They do have opportunities for work to offset rent. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
We have been staying at James Island park for about seven years now. It is a very nice park. If I recall we got a E-mail from them advertising a 30% seasonal off rate Per month. You should check it out. We like the location.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We'll be going to St. James Island for a long St. Paddy's Day weekend. It will be our first time there but have been told by many (including HOOK) that it's a great place to stay.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Wow, thanks for all the responses. And it looks like the yeas have it for James Island. However I called this morning and 2 things will keep us from parking there.

First is they have a 28 day limit. We will be in the area for about 8 months, and when I get set up I like to stay until time to leave.

Second, she said they will have a canoe ralley going on in april and unless you're registered for the ralley you are not allowed in.

She did let me know there is a rv park at the base. I have to fly in on the 30th to finalize my clearence so I will check with them about that and what it would take to stay. It seems there would be alot of red tape though-Searching the 5er for terrorists(hahahaha),clearence for the wife and dogs to be on base and how easy it would be to come and go at our liesure. Besides, I have always perferred the camping atmosphere. BUT if it gonna be free, that's all my per diem in my pocket .

OH, and oldelmer1 thank you for letting me know about the trains. I do like my sleep at night! So Lake Aire is out for sure.

I don't post here to often but I do check in every couple days. I have learned so much from you folks and when someone needs something you guys come running to the rescue. I appreciate all the replys and if you have any more suggestions I am all ears. I will post eventually where we pick and how we like it, but it may be a little while as we are not to be there until March.

Again THANK YOU.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
You could try Hardyville Campground, I don't know if it will be close enough for you. I've never been there, but someone on here work camped there for a while, and seemed to enjoy it. And they are Passport America, unlimited stay, if I remember correctly.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I don't know where the base is located, but just down the road from the Lake Aire Park is Oak Plantation which is a little (daily rate) cheaper than Lake Aire. It was nice - paved roads and I think paved pads(but can't remember). Only drawback is speed humps about every 100-150 feet in the street. This is a pretty large park with full hookups and wi-fi.
As to the on base park, we have stayed at a military base in Cape Fear, NC (via son-in-laws ID). It wasn't on a base, so easy in and out. We also stayed at the one on Great Lakes Naval station in Chicago. Again son-in-law got us in. We did have to go thru the gates with an ID each day, but it was right on Lake Michigan, tho no sewer hook up.
Good luck in your choice.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Maybe you could try Oak Plantation Campground. They are south of Charleston. We have not stayed there,but have visited the campground. The grounds look nice and the people were friendly. There web site is: http://www.oakplantationcampground.com/index.html.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We have stayed at Foster Creek Campground in Goose Creek, multiple times. It's a military campground, not on the base, has concrete pads, full hook-ups and a short drive to Charleston. It's very reasonable, not sure about a 8 month stay. If you are qualified to stay in military campgrounds you can check them out on line. Know that there is another one in the area ,Charleston AFB, have never been there.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We stayed at Oak Plantation Campground also and it is a very nice campground, reasonably priced.

http://oakplantationcampground.com/
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
More replys-Thank you.

oldelmer1- I pulled Hardeeville up on the map and it is farther than I want to drive, but thank you for thinking of another one.

twindman,The Old Fogies,TheCoachPotatoes- I called Oak Plantation and did not care for them. The woman on the phone was very RUDE and acted like I was interupting her Oprah . Said for a stay that long I would have to interview with the owners and OP is about $300 more a month than everywhere else I been checking.

mainer-thank you for this suggestion. Did not know it exisited. The ones I have been checking is what is listed in Woodalls online and that one is not. I will google them for info and call them today.

As far as the bases, Charleston AFB is where we are going to be working replacing the 5280' runway. I did find Woodalls online does have a base campground listed. But it is for military only. Military ID required. I will just wait till I fly down the 30th to ckeck on the base camping.

Again thank you for continuing responses, they do help!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #17
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Well March went out the window. My boss called and asked how soon I could be in Charleston . So we made reservations and pulled into the Charleston KOA yesterday. It is the closest to where I will be working and the most reasonable. They gave us a 50amp full hookup pull through. Very friendly and accomadating people, I think we will like this place for the next 11 months ( as I am told from work).
Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Jim,
Are you in the Mount Pleasant KOA north of town? If so and your work keeps you there a little longer than eight months, we will be staying at that KOA for the week of Thanksgiving. Always looking forward to meet other MOCer's when we are on the road and the opportunity presents itself.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We'll be at James Island from March 16th to the 21st. Maybe we can get together for a meal. Like Bingo said, we love to meet other members when we're on the road.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
No Bingo, we are in Charleston KOA that is actually in Ladson on 78 which is NW of North Charleston. It probably isn't as nice as Mount Pleasant from the website but it was the closest to work which is most important for me because of the hours I work. If we are still here I would like hooking up. As we traveled down 77 along a river with houses that had docks on the river I thought of you. As time gets closer email or pm me.

Jim, we looked into James Island,looks nice and lots of compliments, but to far away and they have a max stay of 28 days. Shoot me a email or pm and we would be glad to meet for a meal or something. We enjoy meeting other people to, just don't happen to much because of work. We did get to meet scductman,richfaa and dsprik in Florida a couple years ago though. We were all in the same park for a little while.

There are 2 other Montanas in here. Haven't got to see them yet, too busy getting set up and cleaning. Will try today.