Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mt Shasta KOA

Again, couldn't get reservations at Lake Siskiyou so we booked time at the KOA 9-5 thru 9-10. Anyone have anything to say about this KOA???

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
The campground has a great view of Mt. Shasta and if you like trains, you will really enjoy your stay there. We have stayed there three times and don't notice the trains quite as much as the first time we were there. Be sure to go see the headwaters of the Sacramento River, it is less than a half mile from the KOA
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I think you would be happier at the RV park in McCloud that someone mentioned before.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,
I agree with Carl. Dance Country at McCloud would probably be a better choice. I think that is the name of the park. We have stayed at the KOA and it is OK. If just staying one night it would be OK but otherwise I'd stay somewhere else.

We have not stayed at the park in McCloud but have driven by it many times and it looks nice. Even if you don't end up staying in the park you need to visit McCloud and the area around. There is a GREAT candy store in McCloud.

Also Don(Searchers is his MOC user name) and Claudia Moore live very near the KOA.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are at the KOA now Phil and will be here for a week.. Lake Siskiyou was so busy when we went there and we did not like the sites that were avaiable for us.. With the weather so hot everyone and all the kids have tried to find cool places.

So far we have nothing to complain about at the KOA except of course the price...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

So far we have nothing to complain about at the KOA except of course the price...

Helen
If at all possible, we avoid KOAs for that reason. You can stay in a Super 8 Motel for what most KOAs charge to camp.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Phil
We lived in MS for 25 years and KOA is okay. It's not like you use there beds etc.
One big plus is location, you can bike and walk to town, park and restuarants from park. Just nothing fancy. If you don't mind driving into town Dance Country RV in McCloud is nice, you just have to drive to do anything. Enjoy the weather it should be perfect. Teresa and Dave
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
In defense of price of KOAs... We find on average they are comparable to other private owned campgrounds and sometimes are less!

That being said... of course they do not compare to Passport, Escapees or any other "club" discount rates.

Then on the other hand... if you know what you are looking for... Do you NEED 30 or 50 amp... do you NEED deluxe ... or do you like "camp" sites....etc. The secret I think is to ask questions when you call.

If you travel and do not make advance reservations until a couple hours before.... We find they have always had room! Yes, you may pay a price for last minute sites, but.... as some people say... you get what you pay for... and last minute sites can be very expensive..OR NOT!

No, I/we do not work for KOA or do we have family who does. Just sharing my experience in this current traveling economy.

JMHO. Thank you for letting me get something off my mind that has been bugging me for a little while!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Phil when we spent a week up there at Lake Siskiyou a few years back we checked out the KOA, as others have said it is close to town and when the black berries are in for the picken there are gobs of them around the KOA. I cant say anything about train noise but there are train tracks right next to it and going through town so that means you will get train music. the pool is nice in hot weather compaired to the Lake Siskiyou beach. and food at the Black Bear Resturant is very good.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have been at the KOA for two nights now and it is great... I really like the location.. Don't have a problem with the trains at all... I just take my hearing aids out at night.

The weather is perfect...Hot during the day and cool at night.. 52 degrees this morning but rising to 90 by late afternoon.. Since we are not in a shady area the 50 amp comes in very handy for the AC'S

Helen
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks to all who replied, looks like we will keep our reservations at the KOA. Actually, I love the trains, maybe not the noise, but what the heck, we are camping, RIGHT????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
If it means anything Phil, we went to Mc Cloud today and hiked to all three waterfalls... It was wonderful but what started out as shade became full sun..., I am exhausted and burnt to a crisp. WE went into town after this and found only two restaurants that are still open,,If I wanted a glass of wine with my meal I could bring my own in... The candy store was out of candy but they did hacve ice cream... We came back to Mt Shasta to have what turned out to be a very late lunch.. The campground there did look very nice but I prefer where we are at the KOA... After reading the brochures, there are a lot of things going on here that week... You are lucky to get in.