Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Tools?

I have to upgrade my tools. What brands can you all recommend? I prefer to get them at a national chain that has stores in Canada, e.g., Home Depot, Lowes, so I can get consumables, service or replacements wherever we are at the time. HD's brands here are Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, Ridgid, Ryobi.
I think of three categories: electric power/battery tools, pneumatic tools and wrenches/sockets. For battery-powered tools, I think that once I buy the battery, I have to buy the brand for forward compatibility, e.g, DeWalt uses the same battery for their 18V drills and saws. I now own a decent air compressor, but no tools for it. I want sockets that don't split open.
I'm looking for good quality, reasonably priced. Any ideas will be greatfully appreciated.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
When it comes to hand tools like sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers I get nothing but craftsmen.I don't like there power tools.I prefer Dewalt power tools for the money and quality.I'm sure you,ll get a lot of feedback on this but this mine.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Well iam gona agree with garyka, as the hand tools from craftsman i like there warrenty and dewalt is a good power tool..........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have always been a craftsman guy myself for the hand tools and some power tools. But the Kobalt tools from Lowes is a very good hand tool also. Dewalt is hard to beat anytime. I am a racer that raced 31 yrs, and good tools are worth the extra cash.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
What ever brand you buy, be sure to keep the purchase receipts. Most stores require proof of purchase for warranty service or replacement of tools.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
hand tools, get Craftsman from Sears. Lifetime no BS warranty, and Sears is everywhere. Here, anyway, probably the same in Canada.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
For handtools, I use Craftsman or Ace(Husky?) here, but I am starting to eyeball Cobalt because they have some clever variations of wrenches. I don't like cheap stuff and have lots of those I received as gifts, but they slowly break and end up in the recycle bin. I used to like Craftsman but unless you get them on sale I find them to be overpriced (lifetime warranty has got to be paid for). I prefer a tool that does not break in the first place (it's happened several times and I have since given up making the trip to replace them).

For power tools I have been using 18v Ryobi (the blue stuff) because I was not having success with Black and Decker and some Ridgid tools and other than I have almost every power tool they offer, the batteries don't last long enough. I've seen the new 18v lithium Ryobi (the green stuff) but don't want to replace everything. I just keep a boatload of batteries and don't need them that often.

I would go with something else like DeWalt from what my contractor friends use. I hear from them that Makita stuff is great but maybe too expensive and most are going to DeWalt. I don't know about the other brands but expect they are all better than the Ryobi tools I currently have.

Can't help you on compressor tools but will be listening carefully from the membership because I do need some.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
I've had good luck with the few Kobalt tools I have. Haven't had to use their warranty yet. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman and their warranty service is outstanding - bring to any Sears and they'll hand you a replacement, no questions asked.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Like others, I feel strongly about the Craftsman, and thanks to the package deals at Lowes, my power tool collection is Ryobi (Christmas gift additions every year from DW). The only drawback is that I had to make sure I had two battery packs, since the life seems to be only about three or four hours at the normal.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Caseclosed
Established Member

M.O.C. #8423
I think Snap On is the best but I have Craftsman because of the cost.
Caseclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Snap On is the best but over priced, especially for 99% of home users. Craftsman is an excellent choice for value/warranty, but try to get them when they are on sale if possible. Also watch out because not all the tools Sears carries are Craftsman. They have a cheap line called Champion that are not warrantied the same as Craftsman. For power tools, I use Dewalt or Milwaukee. If you are getting cordless, get the same brand with the same batteries so you can swap them if needed.

One tool you didn't mention was a soldering device. I can't live without one, and recommend a high quality butane powered unit such as the Blue Point tool (again, Snap On). I had never used one before getting mine a couple years ago, and absolutely love it. No cords, nearly instant heat, and multiple tips including one designed specifically for heat shrink tubing. I haven't used an electric iron or gun since I got it.

EDIT: Forgot about the air tools. Ingersoll Rand and again, Snap On. The 3 indispensable ones: 1/2 impact, 3/8 ratchet and an air chisel. To save money, consider buying them used from Craig's List. To prolong their live, always add a few drops of oil to them before use and consider adding an oiler to the air line. My 1/2 inch Ingersoll is nearly 40 years old and going strong. A few years ago I bought a Dewalt cordless impact for use on the road, but have been disappointed with it. I still have to break lug nuts loose by hand. Even so, when you are loosening/tightening 8 lug nuts, it does come in handy. I also use it on the rear scissor jacks.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #12
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I own two "levels" of tools - one for home use that I use regularly and one to keep in the TV/trailer. For the trailer (which I only use rarely) I buy wrenches, sockets, etc. from PepBoys. For the $$$ they are hard to beat. For home I used to buy Craftsmen, but I had a problem with Sears several years ago when water softener I bought from them self destructed and dumped resin in all the plumbing in my stick house causing me to replace two water heaters, numerous faucets, and all of the guts to the toilets. Cost me about $6K (big house) and when I called Sears (only had the softener for about 18 months) all they wanted to know was did I want to buy a new softener from them? Anyway, as far as power tools go, all of the pros I know swear by Makita for frequent/daily use. Their batteries, in my experience, last longer than anybody's. Hand tools for home I have gone to Kobalt (Lowes) because they have the same warranty as Sears but I have yet to have to use it. Just my $.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You will be surprised what tools weigh as we recently found out. We had all kind of tools in a large tool box in the front compartment. First we realized that we would never use most of the tools we had and some we did not even know how to use. If anything broke that could not be fixed with small hand tools we would be calling road service or a repair facility. We off loaded many lbs of tools. I am not very handy so most tools are useless to me. My most valued tool is "the cell phone"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Remember that a craftsman is only as good as his tools. Cheap tools cost more that name brands if you have to replace them more than once. I've only broken one Craftsman socket and it was replaced no questions asked.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have to agree with the Craftsman for the handtools. As far as powertools I use the ones from Harbor Freight for the Monte that are rechargable and I always care an extra battery with me also for them. I use several of their combinations at home also. The battery powered units from Sears are OK but they change their batteries so often that you really have to watch what you are buying! Their replacement batteries are REALLY expensive also! I have Skil for most of my power tool at home but they are also not cheap but can be bought nearly anywhere. The Ryobi and others at Lowes, Home Depot and Menards are great units but just never bought any YET!! Christmas is coming!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

As far as the hand tools I prefer Craftsman.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Been in construction for 45 years (whoops- was in) Have found that the Ryobi battery tools are the best for price/quality.
over 25 tools that use the same battery, including many no one else makes like a small work fan that DW stole for under the awning. The 18v chainsaw is great where they let you gather downed wood. If buying new go the extra for the Lithium-ion batteries, they last for 2-3 times longer/charge, have charge gauges built in, and no memory effect. I rarely get out an extension cord or power tool anymore.
I don't use Craftsman hand tools because they won't warranty them if you are a contractor, even if you don't use them at work. DeWalt are over priced yellow Black and Decker IMHO. Milwalkee is the top of the line and pretty much top priced.

Tom and Georgia
Firstime workcampers
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #18
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've gotten to using Harbor Freight for hand tools. Very inexpensive and the warranty is the same as for Craftsman.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I like craftmens too good quality, often on sale and great warranty on hand tools. Others offer a good warranty but almost always require a receipt but sears doesn't. Buy battery tools all of the same brand so can share batteries. I like Dewalt because be batteries last a long time for for each charge and overall life. I generally but small sets on sale and often get a drill for the price of two batteries. The batteries alone are very expensive but if you check storage capacity you get what you pay for. My experience is that Dewalt and Black & Decker are very different even if same company. Like Chev. and Caddy???
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Most of my hand tools are Craftsman. Got my first set in 1969 and still have the first set, but I did loose one socket 1/4". The only warranty was a ratchet, but I actually abused it by puttin a pipe over the end to have more torq. But I returned it to Sears and the sales person ask how did this happen and I told him the truth and he laugh and handed be a new ratchet, and I still am using it. I'm a firm believer of having some tools if you own a 5th wheel. There is always something to fix or repair. And at times it's a hassle to move a 5th wheel to get it repaired when you can do it your self. Most of my heavy tool boxes rides in the side box of the Freightliner. I actually need a few hundred pounds more of weight for traction when I'm bobtailing. Again Craftsman is my choice, however I have begin to buy some Kobalt tools from Lowes. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote