Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
mholman

M.O.C. #8633
City water check valve

When winterizing my trailer, I took the screen out of the city water hook up and pushed the check valve in to let the water drain out of the city water line. the pump was on and it squirted in my face. now thw check valve leaks. I looks like you have to replace the whole panel with the tank fill inlet and city water hookup,instead of just replacing just the check valve. Any help?

mholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Mine began to leak when we wre in Billins,Mt. this spring. Went to an rv place in Graet Falls when we got there to dicuss it and they told me yes I had to replace the whole thing, so I bought one. $65.00. When we unhooked the following monday all was well. Guess the valve was just cocked a little and straghted when unhooked. Has not given any trouble since, but I have new one on hand. I would try to reseating it by pushing on it again and seif it rights itself. Good luck.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I had to replace mine also and mine cost me $75+! The main reason for the replacement was that the spring came out and so did the keeper and the keeper ring broke for some reason. I fixed it last year when it came out but all I had to do is take a pair of needlenose pliers and grab the post that holds the gasket and twist it a little to get it to re-seat. I have found out by talking to others and the tech at the dealer-- that if you open a faucet in the unit you won't get that squirt in the face or on your pants (in a very embarrassing spot I may point out. I'll try that next time but until then, I'll replace the whole city/tank fill unit and be a lot more careful next time!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I didn't know where mine was and I just checked. Thanks to mholman, I pried out the screen and washer assy. There it is as he said, since I am already winterized i left it alone.
The problem and fix $ makes me think that the air pressure winterizing may be worth the cost of the adapter just to blow out the line.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I didn't have a problem until this year except for the pin sticking last year which was an easy fix. This year is just a problem I caused myself by not taking the pressure off the line before trying to bleed it and then pushing to hard on the button. I did a temp fix on the unit to winterize it until I had time to replace the assembly and it is totally winterized and I have no fear of any of my lines freezing because they all have the pink stuff in them except for the black tank flush line and I put the $.89 blowout attachment on it from CW and blew out any water that might have been in it with my portable air tank. I frankly don't feel there is much water in it because of it's location on the Monte (up high on the side)and the angle the line goes down to the tank at. I'm sticking with the regular way I've been doing the winterizing and if I have a problem-- again it's my own fault and I have no one else to blame!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
This must be a fairly common mistake. I learned the hard way myself! In my case the o-ring in the valve had completely blown in behind the valve seat. With a LOT of patience I was able to get it hooked and pulled back into proper position. It would probably be somewhat easier to fix if it is still partly in position. If memory serves, I think I had to remove the assembly from the trailer to make the repair.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote