Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Don,
We are planning to go to Carlsbad in October of this year and then on further north into New Mexico and Arizona before the real winter gets into the mountains. I think the Carlsbad RV Park and Campground looks really good to me and we are staying there. Also you might visit Guadalupe Mountains National Park that is a little further south and west of Carlsbad Caverns.
In the Benson-Ft. Huachuca area we visited Tombstone, Bisbee and the Chiricahua National Monunent that was really beautiful. These are all desert areas so the weather should be perfect.
If you really want an adventure, visit the Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas. You can camp at the RV park in Presidio and then drive into the state park. Check for programs on the Texas State Park website. Further along in Texas, at Seminole Canyon State park, near Del Rio, there are Indian pictographs you can hike to that are about 1000-1500 years old near the Pecos River. We did the trip after the MOC rally in Tucson in April 2008.
Our trip is described on our trip journal http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/millingtontravel

We love that area of the country and I hope you have a great trip. Write me if you have any questions.

Tim Millington

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I've not been to Cloudcroft but I understand it is a beautiful area. But Don't plan on taking the trailer. I believe the road is steep and very curvy. This is all just hearsay since I've not been there. During the winter they get a lot of snow. Otherwise would be a good route over to the Caverns.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don,
Don't think you will see the bats in the middle of winter. I understand they are only there from spring until late fall. Even without the bats the Caverns are fabulous. Dennis makes the point of inclimate weather on the road to Cloudcroft. We were warned of that when we were there in early Feb. We were told it was a great shortcut to Las Cruces even with the 5'er but storms are so unpredictable at altitude they recemmended the southern route through ElPaso.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
thanks for the good information Timandsusan I wish you a safe jurney, Ok jimcol, I guess I wont get to see bats if its winter time, but it's Febuary it has to be hot it's the desert.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
OK Don I guess things work different in the desert. When we stayed at the KOA north of Carlsbad in Feb of 09 the campground water was froze up two different mornings. Not the hose but the campgrounds water spikot. Also two different days at the caverns produced no bats. The good part was you never needed more than a light jacket during the day. No bats, no water a couple of mornings but still a great time.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

OK Don I guess things work different in the desert. When we stayed at the KOA north of Carlsbad in Feb of 09 the campground water was froze up two different mornings. Not the hose but the campgrounds water spikot. Also two different days at the caverns produced no bats. The good part was you never needed more than a light jacket during the day. No bats, no water a couple of mornings but still a great time.
Thanks Jimcol, I can live with that, I do not like the heat, it's just no fun sitting in the trailer when it's hot. my wife likes it but she is a Vally Girl, so she is used to it.
I guess if its cold the bugs arnt out so the bats just kick back and relax.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #27
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
I second the recommendation to visit the Kartchner Caverns. They are great. But you will need a reservation and that time of year is a VERY busy time of year. I'd suggest making them ASAP. By the way there is a State Park very near the Caverns. I've not stayed there but some folks have reported it is a nice park.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Dennis I have the information recorded I'll check it out.

Don
Old 09-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I also recommend the KOA. Very nice, when we stayed there they had a get together in the lounge. They have a hot tub as well. There might not be a lot is Carlsbad but it is in the middle of a lot of history. I want to go back there and spend more time. If you are a history buff there is the Billy the Kid Trail. There are several towns in the area that have preserved the legend. If you like Mexican food, there is a place in Artesia that is pretty good.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #30
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We always stay at the La Hacienda in Las Cruces. Great place! Right on the Interstate. Easy on easy off. Very clean and free breakfasts. Not cheap but good break from traveling. Great Mexican food close by in the old town.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We were in Carlsbad just a couple of weeks ago. I accept the recommendations that the KOA is an exceptionally nice RV park, but we could not justify the extra distance from the Caverns and from our route to follow our visit to the Caverns.

We stayed at the Carlsbad RV Park in the town of Carlsbad. I had read truly "awful" reviews, but I did not find it that bad at all. It was just an overnight stay and I found it quite acceptable.

We decided NOT to go on via Cloudcroft, but back through Guadalupe Mountains to El Paso. The drive through the Guadalupes is worth it, I think.

We are in Santa Fe this week-end, and will head home tomorrow after a full month on the road, and over 5000 miles on this trip: across Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Colorado, and now back across New Mexico and most of Texas.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #32
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
WOW I'm overwhelmed with all the comments and recommendations from all of you. we have decided to do the KOA in Carlsbad.
on edit,
But we still have the Benson stop and one other to decide what town say about 300 miles from Benson for our camp site for all going on the trip to agree on.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

I've not been to Cloudcroft but I understand it is a beautiful area. But Don't plan on taking the trailer. I believe the road is steep and very curvy. This is all just hearsay since I've not been there. During the winter they get a lot of snow. Otherwise would be a good route over to the Caverns.

Dennis
It is trailerable but I wouldn't tow the house if my plan were to visit Cloudcroft. I'd stay down below and just drive up. I would tow it if just passing through, though. We planned on doing just that but the weather report stopped that idea so we took another route and then drove solo to Cloudcroft. When we got there we found most of the snow already gone. These links show a couple of pictures of the road to Cloudcroft. Really not difficult.

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/Mar..._NM_page_1.htm

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/Mar..._NM_page_2.htm
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #34
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
Was at the KOA last May or June (keep loosing track) it was great. White Sands is a great place.
Tom
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote