Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Montana_6513
Established Member

M.O.C. #6513
Back up cameras

We just picked up our brand new Montana 2980, which is actually 34 feet. I don't understand why they call it a 2980 if it is really 34 feet, but anyway, we love it. It is our very first rv. We will be fulltimers,sold the house and almost everything in it.

I have a question. Does anyone have back up cameras? Does anyone think they are helpful or necessary?

Montana_6513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all the numbers that are used for the model number have absolutely nothing to do with anything other than a model number. Be it a 2980, 2955 or a 3400, they are model numbers only. However the letters do have a meaning, RL-Rear Living room, RK-Rear Kitchen, RE-Rear Entertainment
My 2004 2955 is listed in the brochure as 32 feet when in actuality it is 34' 3"

I don't see the necessity of a rear looking camera other than a means to see traffic directly behind the trailer. It may come in handy for backing but being an ex truck driver I prefer my mirrors. I have been thinking about the wireless cameras you can get for around the house. Sam's Club has them for under a hundred bucks. The lap top's screen can be your monitor.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Our system works great. My DW has a handie talkie, and I do, too. I just listen and tell her where I want the tires of the 5er to go. Since she gives me the confidence that I won't hit anything, I can concentrate on getting the 5er where I want it.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
We bought some walkie-talkies too. We have only used them once so far but they worked like a charm then. I bet the rear camera would be great if I was by myself though
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We use the radios too. But that's no guarantee - I backed into the garage roof (LOL now, but not then).

I have a backup camera on my truck and I really like it. But, it doesn't do much good when the 5er is hooked up. I'd like to get a wired camera, but I'm concerned about running the wire from the back to front so it doesn't like the cable guy stopped by to help install. I've been thinking that a wireless camera might work. But, I've read on another thread that the $100 - $200 Wally World specials don't get the job done because of interference from cellphones and Internet Air cards. I've seen some more expensive models $300+ that should work okay.

So many toys and not enough money.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
See www.rvcams.com several of us on the forum have them.. Helen and I think they are a necessity with these large rigs. They serve well as a rear view mirror. You have a clear field of vision to the rear of the camper particularly those few feet right behind you where trucks and cars like to hid from your view. We do not rely on it as a true backup cam although it will do that job.One of us is always guiding when backing anywhere. The wireless cams are iffy due to the length of our rigs and interference. They are not a big deal to install . If I can do it anyone can do it. A Backup cam was on our list of "things we had to have" 0n a 5th wheel long before we bought the Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I had a backup camera from RV Cams when I had my class A and it was very useful in traffic and to keep an eye on my toad back there. Never used it for getting into a camp site though, I have a backer upper with a walkie talkie and she doesn't mind telling what a great job I am doing.

If I had one on the 5ver I would more than likely use it for traffic purposes and still rely on my offical backer upper with the hand held radio (that she really doesn't need the way she screams at me.)
I seen a unit at Wal Mart last night for $98.00 but don't have a clue as to quality.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have one of the rear view cameras from RVCams that has a good quality picture and excellent low light capability. Stringing the wire inside the rear cap, along the frame inside the belly pan, under and out the fiver portion isn't all that difficult. Like others, I use it mainly for keeping an eye on my boat and helping to be more aware of what's behing me in traffic. They all have some fasion of a "fish eye" effect, so using it soley for backup purposes would test your abilities unless like others, you have a spotter. I did try one of the higher end wireless cameras ($400-$500) from Hitch Aid Company down in Oklahoma claiming a 60' plus range. Although the owner did try and work with me on interference issues, it just didn't work well with the aluminum frame and I ended up returning it. I would imagine the $100 cameras found in Wally World or Radio Shack would be even more of a dissapointment. I just don't believe to still be affordable that the technology is there yet as far as wireless goes.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have been considering one, but just to keep from running over the DW standing back there with the walkie-talkie
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We use his and her cell phones rather than radios...never use all the minutes anyway. As for the camera, I don't back unless the DW is back there, and, they are expensive and something else to break.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I would be concerned about overhead obstructions so would rather have somebody back there.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote: Cat320 - Posted - Nov 26 2006 : 4:07:29 PM We use his and her cell phones rather than radios...never use all the minutes anyway. As for the camera, I don't back unless the DW is back there, and, they are expensive and something else to break.
Was that the camera or DW was too expensive and easy to break. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DONnANNIE

Quote:
quote: Cat320 - Posted - Nov 26 2006 : 4:07:29 PM We use his and her cell phones rather than radios...never use all the minutes anyway. As for the camera, I don't back unless the DW is back there, and, they are expensive and something else to break.
Was that the camera or DW was too expensive and easy to break. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist.

BOTH!!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you have the extra $$, get the color camera from Tim at RV cams, you will love it, and it will save you much stress on any trip you may make.
Money well spent. I glance at my monitor to see closing traffic while at highway speed, check it when passing to see when to pull back in, monitor the stop and go rear bumper traffic, and check clearance when backing. (It has sound, so you can hear any spotters you may have helping)
What is your safety and peace of mind worth?
Off the soap box....for now.
Get-er-done.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - where did you put your monitor in your truck?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I made a wedge from hard wood, attached the monitor to it and placed the wedge in the slot to the left of the cup holder.
It works well, and is removable for non towing times.
Ozz
Old 11-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Ozz, sounds like a good spot.

When we were shopping for fifth wheels, there was one brand or two that put a video monitor under the cabinets in the bedroom. It wasn't turned on, but the salesman said it was connected to a camera at the door. Wonder if you could use your monitor inside when not towing as a security camera? Probably take some extra cable run, and may not have the camera in the right place - but just a thought.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OZZ did not want to loose his cup holder space hence his installation.Actually the base of the monitor slides into the cup holder as if Ford made it for that purpose (they didn't) And yes you could use it for security..would take a mod or two..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:01 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad, I have the space for the camera taken by the motorized 30 cal., it is noise activated, so if you come knocking, do so at the front cap of the monte....
Like Rich said, I wanted room for my coffee cups in the holders, after breaking camp, I have 2 cups on the road.
I also wanted the monitor low on the dash for glare reasons.
Ozz
Old 11-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - thanks for letting me know about the machine gun! Next time I need to wake you up because you left your scare lights on, I'll know how to approach .

I couldn't dream of surrending a cup holder - between me and the DW there isn't enough now.

Brad