Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
bking
Established Member

M.O.C. #4597
Toolbox for Truck

We do not have our Monty or our fifth wheel hitch yet so hoping someone can help us. On Oct 3rd we ordered from Hiway Products in Oregon a lifetime guaranteed tool box to fit our 2005 shortbed Dodge with the plastic bedliner. It finally arrived yesterday and would not fit. We are sending it back but don't want to do this again. Anyway can anyone who has that truck tell us if a toolbox that is 24 inches wide will fit. This one should fit between the wheel wells where the other one is supposed to fit in the space between the well and the front of the truck.

Thanks for your help.
Betty

PS we sold our house on Saturday (29th) and go to closing on the 17th of November. Then we are off to Elkhart to buy our 5th wheel and take the Montanna tour. Still not sure if we are going out there before Thanksgiving or the Sunday after.

bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't have the Dodge, but I do have a Ford. When I ordered my Highway products tool boxes (yes, we also got the 5th wheel companion box--we have a long box on the truck), I provided the make and model of my truck and they sent the exact fit. I don't understand why yours didn't fit.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I bought mine at Lowe's It was about $199 It sits flush with the bed rail. They had the kind that goes over the rail also for a little more.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ditto Ishler. I also got mine at Lowes but I have a GMC. But go to Lowes and ask if you can try it first.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...901&lpage=none
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We don't have our Montana yet either and with our TT we carried a large under the rail 'box" were we stored all kinds of camper stuff, tools, jacks, jumper cables,,you know all that stuff.That big ole box is setting in the garage and today I went through it to see what was in there and realized that the reason we carried that big ole box in the truck was because we did not have room to put all that camper stuff in the TT. We will have a 3670 and realized that there will be plenty of room for all that stuff and we will not need that big ole box..Give it another think..maybe you don't need the box.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have a Weather Guard toolbox. They are a little more expensive but are steel and have a great warranty. It sets flush with the rails. It doesn't necessarily have camping stuff in it but more for tools, compressor, emergency kit, the last chock as you are pulling out (saves having to open up the basement doors again). It isn't full yet but I would imagine by the time we are fulltiming it will be. It was the first thing we bought when we bought our new truck. We been doing this a lot of years and have always had a tool box in the truck.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
"This one should fit between the wheel wells where the other one is supposed to fit in the space between the well and the front of the truck."

I'm not sure what you mean here but it seem you want to put the box where the hitch goes. You also might want to look at the load carrying capacity of the TV, a box w/contents along with everything else may put you way overweight.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
Normally the boxes for the short bed trucks have a notch made into them so they can sit flat on the floor and clear the wheel well.Hope this helps.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a hesitation about tool boxes and the added weight. I agree they would be nice, but I know they are not light and I would probably start out with plastic tubs (w/ lids) held down by bunge cords, as these are very flexible as to placement, tub size, or how many you actually need or want in the back of the bed on any given trip. Maybe this won't work, but I will probably give it a try first. Cheap and light.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
David..The plastic tub is what I have always used,,held in place with bunge cords.May not be as pretty as the fancy boxes but does the job.The boxes tend to collect "stuff" just emptied my box out and wondered why in the world most of that "stuff' was in there..Example...4 bricks..have never used them for anything.After tossing all the ..what the heck is this for stuff..don't think we will even need the box. Think the big plastic box was maybe 18.99 at wallmart.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I probably read something about this on one of your past posts, Rich. Just when I thought I had come up with an original idea! Wonder how many other "brilliant ideas" I've had that I subconsciously picked up off of MOC??? Don't tell my wife... she thinks I'm pretty smart.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Having experienced a few thieves along the way, we like the option of locking up the items in our tool box. It doesn't have junk in it, all things are used. (Well, except the emergency kit so far.) For our GMC 3500 dually we have plenty of wiggle room on weight.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That is a good point, Sue. Unless I just wanted to mark "Come and get it!" on the bins, I'd have to figure out a way of securing them. A cover like Rich has would help prevent stuff from disappearing. Also, once we are rigged up at a CG, we would probably take out anything out of the back of the truck that might "grow legs". I would think that overnighting at truck stops and/or rest areas would be particularly dangerous for this type of activity, so you would have to figure something out there, too.

Maybe you could strap down and padlock the plastic tubs in the bed instead of using bungie cords. I also understand that some thieves are undeterred by Fort Knox, let alone breaking into a tv or camper. I thought I read once where thieves quickly drilled out the locks on a pickup tool box to get at the inside, using some sort of hardened carbon steel bit and a powerful cordless drill. I'm sure sure most thieves are not that determined, however. So moderate preventative measures should be adequate.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:22 AM   #14
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Hi: I have read all the posts, concerning the pros and cons of a truck tool box, but I still have a question. I hope someone can give me some feedback on this. Is there anyone out their on this website that has installed, what is called a low profile full length tool box? They sell them at Sams Club for a reasonable price and I just want to be sure that it would not interfere with the Monty when turning a sharp corner or when backing into a tight spot. If anyone can give me some info, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all the good posts, reading this forum has taught me alot and happy travels to all.

ksboy
ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have low profile full box I got from Tractor Supply. Sits below the bed rail so it does not interfere in any way with the 5th wheel. Mine is full of tools, air compressor etc.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
BKING & KSBOY,

I have a SWB Dodge, and I bought this Kobalt toolbox at Lowe's. http://tinyurl.com/qma38
It works perfect with another purchase of the clamps that attach to the rails of the truck without having to drill holes. I like this box because it holds my hand tools etc. rakes, shovels and it does not sit on the floor of the truck, I get to use the full 6'3' of floor space to hold my 6' folding ladder. This box sits on the rails and is about 2" above the rail. Works for me!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We bought one at Home Depot - works great!

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...27219940_3.jpg

for $229
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote