Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Montana_820
Established Member

M.O.C. #820
Gas Charged Door Opener

We have a 2004 3685FL, and I have seen some of the "front" doors being opened with about a 20" gas charged shock mounted above the door(the small ones that generally open a rear window lift gate on a small car) so that it does not collide with the passenger side front living room slide. Wondered if anyone may have a picture of an install as described (if you understand what I am talking about).

TIA

Montana_820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I have seen it on some class C's to avoid the awning arm from getting hit.
I believe Camper's Choice has a selection of gas struts that can be used for this purpose.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how things go,

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Is your's missing one? My front door came with one already installed.

My question is, if Keystone can put a "Door Holding Open Device" on the front door, why can't they:
  • put one on the storage door above the fridge,
  • put one on the door that hides the stereo/DVD player?

Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Could someone take a photo of this Front door shock thingy and post it somewhere for us to all see?? Maybe my late illness has my mind totally befuddled, but, we have no such baby on our door, (we only have one entrance door).

Thanks

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Carol I think he may be talking about the latch that we have on our doors to hold them open You have one part on the trailer and then a little brkt on the door. I think they are talking about two different things. I may be wrong.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Camping World Gas Props
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Glenn, now, can I see one installed on the "front" door of a Montana/Mountaineer??

Cheers, Carol
Old 02-15-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
The 3685FL has two entrance doors. The front door has to have a means of preventing it from opening too far and hitting the slideout. If you look real close at the picture (best I could do on short notice) there is a gas strut at the top of the front door.

I may be visiting my Monty this weekend at our campground. If you need better pictures or some dimensions let me know.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:00 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks George, NOW, I understand!

Carol
Old 02-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Montana_820
Established Member

M.O.C. #820
Yes if you wouldn't mind swinging over and taking some pictures/measurements I would appreciate that. I'll then add them to mine.

Thank you
Old 02-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What do you all see as the advantages of having the gas prop on the door? I'm trying to decide if we'd want to do this or not.

Being on the outside, I guess the door would open against the pressure which would mean when you release the door the prop will push it closed. Right?

What about when the wind catches the door and whips it open farther? Is the prop strong enough to keep that from happening? If not, is it going to rip the prop mount screws out of the door or the sidewall? Or bend the prop rod?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #12
Montana_820
Established Member

M.O.C. #820
The reason why is for exactly what you stated. If you look at the front door plastic holder that keeps the door open (on the 3685 is a little "L" shaped plastic piece that comes from the factory) when the wind cathes it (and has 3 times) it just breaks off and slams into the front slide extension. These gas "hinges" prevent the wind from doing that kind of "damage", especially the heavy duty shocks. I have operated a few doors that I have seen on the lots, and they work great.

Once I get mine done, I'll post a few pictures and you can decide for yourslf if you'd like to give it a go. I may take a spin up to the RV lot and snap a couple of pictures and get this project rolling.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Steve and Vicki,

Actually the door opens with the pressure so there is no requirement for a latch to keep the door open. The door itself only opens to about 90 degrees because of the front slideout, so adding a strut to your door will probably not allow the door to open fully as in your picture.

Jan and Bill

I am surprised yours came with the plastic latch. My 3685 came from the factory with the gas strut installed on the front door and the plastic "L" shaped latch on the rear door.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
Montana_820
Established Member

M.O.C. #820
I have on the rear door a "straight" latch as my awning covers also the rear door (its 23' in length). I have a "rain gutter" lip above that front door I am describing, so I may have to remove it, or "shim" the mounting to the door itself to clear that lip. I recall seeing one here in Colorado Springs that I think didn't have that lip, and the strut fit real flat. I can't see from your picture if you have that lip or not, but yours is what I am looking to do.