Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
50 amp surge guard

well after reading the post on surge protection I bit the bullet and ordered the 50 amp one.Got it at www.rvpartsoutlet.com.it was 56 bucks cheaper their then Camping World.But did purchase the lock for it at Camping world.It will give me some peice of mind incase the unexpected does happen

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:12 AM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Opps try this link www.rvpartsoutlet.com
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I went to the website and thought that the surge protector offered was really pretty slick. However I also thought it was a little pricy, but worth every penny if it were the only option.

On my stick house, I have an "all house surge protector." Now, I have also been concerned about surge protection since I recently experienced a near lightening strike that cost me about a $1,000.00 in losses (of course, before I bought the surge protection). I asked the folks at the electrical parts house where I bought the one for my house. "Will this work on my RV?"

Answer: "Yes."

"How do I wire it up?"

"Wire it into the line just before it enters your converter/inverter."

This device is manufactured by Intermatics and I payed $55.00 plus tax. My plans are to remove it from the stick house and put it on the Monty when I sell. You can check it out here: http://intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=138. Here's what they say:

Quote:
quote:Residential Whole House Hardwired Tranmsient Voltage Surge Suppressor (TVSS)protects AC power. Designed for 120/240 VAC single (split) phase. Installs using a 15 or 20 ampere 2-pole breaker. Two single-pole breakers may be used. NEMA 4 rated enclosure for indoor or outdoor installation. Product has 5 year warranty as well as $ 10,000 Connected Equipment Limited Warranty for appliances and electronics.
The usual disclaimer applies here, i.e., no stock, not an agent, no fiscal interest.

By-the-way, I did have those strip surge protectors, but they did not protect.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
We bit the bullet after a 'brown-out' situation during a stay on the gulf coast.

The unit we purchased protects against both surges and low power and turns off the power after a certain amount of time. It will automatically reset when power is detected to be correct again.
Costly, but like it has been noted cheaper than A/C units, etc.

travel safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:21 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Stiles, the only problem that I see is the fact that our breaker panels (or most of them at least) don't have a spare breaker or expansion slot for the protector to utilize.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 AM   #6
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I ordered that 50amp "outside" Surge Protector from rvpartsoutlet.com as well. It's on sale for $299 plus shipping of $8.25 to my son in Columbus Ohio. That's a whole lot better than the $995 Canadian they want up here for the same unit. I've taken this complaint to my RV dealer/friend and he will be appraoching the wholesaler on this to see if the price here can't be brought more in line.

Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hillbilly,

On my stick house, I didn't put the wiring on separate breakers. I just wired it into two existing breakers per the instructions. The devise does not draw any current except whatever minute amount required for a couple of very low power led indicator bulbs.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote