Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
Adding functional door

In our changes to our new used Monty, I added hinges and a latch to the cabinet door that covers the back of the water heater. When we bought it, they had two screws that held the door in place. Now we can open it easily to get to the back of the water heater for winterization or the water filter.

I do have a couple of questions though. One, where can I get a handle to match the rest of the cabinet handles? We looked in Lowe's, but didn't find an exact match. Two, the water filter is an Everpure unit. When I put a new filter on it seemed to seep water from the top of the filter. Is this normal? Or was it due to the fact we were just using the water pump for pressure?

Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You might try an RV dealer for the handles. Or an RV Salvage place. As for the filter, that must have been installed by the prior owner since Montana does not offer a filter as an option. Is the water filter one of those that fit externally on the faucet, like our Brita? If so, the o-ring may be out of place or missing.

I like the idea of the cabinet door. Good idea.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The leaking Naturepur water filter is not normal---shouldn't make any difference with the water pump on. Usually the pump produces less pressure than city water. Have had a water leak where I spliced into the line while under high city water pressure.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Rescue 1,

Check your local Home depot for the handles. We have put in several new cabinets and found identical handles there.

Lamar & Debbie
Cumming,GA

Our Website
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedreamer2004

'03 Mountaineer TT 335 RLBS
'03 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 7.3 PSD

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rescue1, did you replace the decals on the nose of your Montana? For the 2001 model, the "Montana" was off to the driver's side. Like this (an old picture of our 2001 2880RL). I like the way yours looks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
The filter was an add on. It is mounted in the cabinet behind the water heater. As far as an o-ring out of place, it was a brand new filter when I installed it. After staying in the camper for a few days last weekend, it leaked about a cup. We just put a small bowl under the filter to catch the drip. No biggy I guess.

The front decal was replaced. The front at one time had another mural painted on it. Another lighthouse of course. I guess that it started getting marred from bugs and they replaced the decal. Thanks for the info on the handles.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 AM   #7
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
Well here is the finalized project. Please don't mind the messy cabinets...