Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
internet hookup

Thought this info might help someone else. The RV park that we are in now has cable and internet hookups. Leon tried for several hours to hook up the internet in the interior of the Monty. The Cox cable guy told him that the cable and internet have to be split on the outside of the trailer and two cables brought into the trailer. He said that is the only way it will work in these trailers. He put the internet connection in through the phone hole. (My technical term). Works great.
This forum has been a big help and encourgement to us newbies.

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Charloote,

When we have had that kind of service, we have put the internet portion of the cable wire through the edge of the slide, so, slide partially out (or in, as your preference may be ) THEN pass the wire through the most convenient place for your rig. Be sure to get enough wire in, or you will be moving the slides again. Yes, you will be going in along the EDGE of the slide, we used the back side of the living room slide as that put us closest to the desk in the 3295. Now, put the slide in "camping" position, hook up the computer and away ya go. We had ours like that for 2 months, no damage to the slide or to the cord. Surfs UP!!!

Carol

Hope that is clear, maybe mud this AM, COFFEEEEEE!!! Must need more. Sounds confusing to me. Sorry.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Charlotte,

I wonder if you can say what sort of cable the “Internet” cable was. It sounds like it was an Ethernet Cable. Like a phone line, but with an end piece with eight pins on it instead of the usual four or six that phone cables have on them.

Click here to see a standard Ethernet connector: http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/lif...ernetPlug.jpeg

Of course the TV cable would be a standard coaxial one…Right?

If they used the phone connection, do you know if it only took an adapter to knock down the 8-pin connector to the 4- or 6-pin size these phone connectors on the Monties are?

And when they got it into your Monty, did you then plug it into your PC/laptop, directly? Or did it have another box that it used, which then was connected to your PC/laptop?

Thankfully, (since we’ve had DSL at home,) both this PC, and my wife’s laptop can connect either via an Ethernet cable, or over Wi-Fi.

Reason I’m asking is that some campgrounds advertise as “Internet Friendly.” All that seems to mean is that they have phone jacks you can plug a modem into!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had a cable internet connection in our stick home. It was as Charlotte described. Split outside the home with tv to one or more locations and the other to the internet router. That was all cable coax, whatever the number. Ethernet took over from router to pc unless you're using wireless.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
I don't know all that. I will ask Leon when he gets home. By the way, the reason went this route is because our Sprint PCS card would not work here. Leon called support when we got here and they worked for quite a while on it with not result. I called the next day and said that our cell phones were having problems here and asked if reception could be the problem. I was told in this know-it all voice that "no, no way, it operates differently then the cell phones". They worked on it quite a while that day with no result but said they would research and call us back. Which they did, two days later. What had they decided was the problem - the reception in this area! Very frustrating. But, they did let us out of our 2 year contract without paying the $150 penalty.
Charlotte
Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
It is cox cable,coax, from the cable box it enters the PC thru the "SUB" port, had to have driver to do so. My PC does not have the ethernet connector. It was much easier to enter the coach thru the phone connector for me. I took out the phone wires and made the hole slightly larger and pushed the cable thru, and able to put wires back if I need to.
Leon

Old 07-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Leon,

That 'splains it.

Then there must also be a router box that converts the cable signal to interface with a USB port?

Steve

P.S.

If we EVER need to connect to a land line, and had also used that hole for anything else, it'd be easy to throw a wire through a window sill. Phone wires are flat enough. Just like that flat coax pass-thru cable we used for a while for one of our receiver's satellite signals.

S
Old 07-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Steve,

You would not need to go through the window sill if you were not using it for cable, just put wires back where they were, should work just fine. You might need to put a little silicone on to seal out moisture. The hole is just slightly bigger than original.

Leon

Leon
Old 07-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Leon,

Well, I've already drilled holes through my Monty for the two satellite dish cables. Actually, I'd love to have a landline that I could plug into my TiVo, so it could "Phone Home." It's been just over a year since I took it into a DirecTV shop to have it call in and get updated. And it's getting boring seeing the daily reminders to call.

We'll see if I'll need to connect an Internet service like that when we come to it. For now, we've been blessed with Wi-Fi at most sites, and can fall back on our Verizon cell phone and Mobile Office, as well. But for me, that’s' considered "dry camping!"

So you can reinstall the phone wires if you need to? That'd be great. I like to do things that more or less leave this thing as pristine as possible, in case of a dire need to upgrade to a newer model, again.

Steve