Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Banks Power - How good is it

I have been looking at adding some equipment to my TV. I have looked at the equipment offered by Banks Power. My questions; If you use banks equipment how has it performed, how is the warranty and will the install of the equipment void my factory warranty? I am lloking at adding a exhaust system, exhaust brake, gauges and six gun tuner.

DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
If you have an automatic transmission on your Dodge Ram, the exhaust brake will be a problem. See discussion at:

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13407.asp
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
From other posts and other forums, some folks swear by Banks a some folks swear at them. I have no personal experience.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
A fellow I met at the Pelican Roost last week almost talked me into a complete banks system. He claims 5 to 7 mpg better mileage on his Ford F-350 when towing. That would be about a 40% improvement for him. That might be worth it.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonPd

I have been looking at adding some equipment to my TV. I have looked at the equipment offered by Banks Power. My questions; If you use banks equipment how has it performed, how is the warranty and will the install of the equipment void my factory warranty? I am lloking at adding a exhaust system, exhaust brake, gauges and six gun tuner.
Don,

I put the Banks Cat Back exhaust on my '04 2500 and gained just under 2MPG. Unfortunately, I lost all of the back pressure that the stock exhaust provided. I have the auto trans and there isn't an approved exhaust brake for it yet. When I take my foot off the accelerator, I coast forever.
But, don’t despair, we do most of our RVing in mountainous terrain and with a little care, you’ll do fine. I’ve pulled our Monty up and down Hwy168 out of Fresno, Ca. with several miles of 11% grade without incident.
Use a low gear and short firm application of brakes, allowing them to cool between applications and you can keep your speed under control.
As for the Six Gun, my truck has plenty of power in its stock condition. I’d rather not jeopardize my engine and drive train warranty. Read the forums on the Turbo Diesel Register. Most everybody will tell you that if you chip your engine your stock tranny will suffer. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
I’ve rambled enough now.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonPd

Don,
I've had the Banks Power Pack on my F-250 for four years now. If it is extra power you want, you get it. As far as extra mpg goes, you will not get a lot. You do get 1 to 2 mpg increase while towing. I don't know how much I get empty because I'm rarely empty.

The Banks exhaust brake is a superior exhaust brake. I don't have experience with Pac-Brake or any others. I do like the Banks. Now, you have to remember, those who have the system will swear by it. Others will say it costs too much money. For me, since I travel coast to coast and border to border all year round, the Banks equipment filled my wants and needs. You get what you pay for.

The warranty is superb. Banks has even run my system through their diagnostics after I had some transmission work done and did some repairs that the other people missed. Didn't charge me a penny.

If you want more information directly from an engineer at Banks, call Tom Boardman at 800-438-7693 or 626-969-9600, Ext 4126. He will get all the information to you that you want. Tell him that it was suggeste that you call him.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I still have the belief of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Now I don't know about Ford's or Dodge's but I do know that my current "stock" 2005 GMC D/A and my previous "stock" 2003 Chevy D/A had all the pulling/stopping power I could possibly need and a gain of 2 MPG is hardly worth the cost of these add-ons not to mention the possibility of warranty issues.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Stiles said it pretty well re. swear by or at. I added Banks Monster exhaust and 6-Gun to my '04 F250 PSD before driving to AK last summer. My engineer/"motorhead" son did the install in 3 hours in his driveway. The power is awesome and she breathes (EGT) very well. I agree w/advice I got here, that adding EGT and boost gauges is step ONE! I think Steve Reigle added trans temp gauge, too. 6-Gun has six settings, and my dealer said going above 4 while towing can do serious trans or engine damage. As for mileage, discount the claims. I did get 11.5 mpg for the entire 15k mile trip last summer, including SD head winds, the Rockies going and returning, BC and AK mountains and slow going on rough roads. I like my Banks system, but it is a lot of money, and adding is a matter of personal preference. Today's diesels seem plenty strong w/o the add on, IMHO.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I still have the belief of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Now I don't know about Ford's or Dodge's but I do know that my current "stock" 2005 GMC D/A and my previous "stock" 2003 Chevy D/A had all the pulling/stopping power I could possibly need and a gain of 2 MPG is hardly worth the cost of these add-ons not to mention the possibility of warranty issues.
I agree entirely with Glenn. Though my experience with diesels is limited, I have had considerable experience with modifications to Jeeps for off-roading. The major lesson I learned from those very expensive adventures is that the people who design and build Jeeps not only know what they are doing, they know a great deal more than I will ever know. Until something comes along to prove otherwise, I will assume that the folks who designed and built my Dodge Ram and its Cummins engine know what they are doing also. I have had absolutely no reason to consider modifying my "stock" Dodge ... and my VISA bills are much lower than they were back in my Jeepin' days!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #10
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Thanks to all for your advice.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
i agree with ols1932. I have the banks stinger plus and have no problems with it and makes a lot of hp. Only got 1 to 1 1/2 miles more per gallon pulling but i average 70 to 75 mph pulling. I did try doing 60-65 and got 13 mpg. So if you like power and want what i concider the best bang for the buck then go for it.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #12
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Power boxe/boxes for diesels is very addictive. (I stack 2 on my Duramax) FTR, You probably can't add much more than about 40 hp while pulling with a stock transmission and or clutch with a standard.
In our "loop" I know of some guys running the Banks and like it. You do need the guages for boost and EGT readings.

For anyone who has never driven or ridden in a (modded) diesel truck (AND CARES ABOUT POWER), you are really missing something.
I dyno 500 rear wheel HorsePower and 937lbs of torque.
Also, I have upgraded my transmission to hold the power so my tranny improvements is not for everyone. The upgrade is expensive.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote