Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #21
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Anyone know where the check-valve is on the 2014 model 3402. Thanks.

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

If these are needed for a 'vacuum' breaker, then why the roof mounted vent. I can't see any chance of any tank vacuum if that roof vent is clear. ........
It has nothing to do with vacuum in the tank. It is an anti siphon vacuum breaker valve to prevent possible siphoning back into the fresh water line from the flush line. Likely some time in your past you have tried siphoning gas, or some other liquid, by putting one end of a hose in the liquid, sucking on the hose until you got flow started, dropped the hose lower than the source of that liquid, and it would run until you pull the hose or lifted it higher than the source. That same phenomena could occur in the flush line under certain (unlikely) circumstances without an anti siphon device. When flow is cut off to the flush line, the anti siphon valve vents air into the line to allow water to drain from that line into the tank, by relieving any possible vacuum due to that water draining.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #23
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
The anti-siphon valve is not there for a vacuum breaker. It's there to prevent waste from getting into your fresh water supply. When mine leaked, I called my dealer who had me run the backflush and then turn the water off. About a minute or 2 later the water started dripping from the bell at the top of the anti-siphon valve. He had me disconnect the hose and release the water. The drip quit. He had me hook it up again and run the backflush. No drip while the backflush was running. Turned off the water and immediately disconnected the hose - no drips. I asked the dealer why it dripped and he said as I turned the water off, the anti-siphon valve started to close and while it was partly open the water went around the side of the valve and out the top. I tried to argue that it was leaking then. He said no it was designed that way. I asked why. He said when the valve is closed and if the black tank filled up under pressure like from a reverse flo valve, waste would travel all the way to the convenience center connection and if a hose was connected to the backflush then into the hose and possibly all the way to the faucet. I asked where the waste was going to go when the water is off and the valve is closed? He said out the top of the valve as it is designed. I said "Into my bathroom and garage"? He said "Yup, better there than in the water supply". I don't want e coli in my drinking water.
Attached Images

whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #24
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Anyone know where the check-valve is on the 2014 model 3402. Thanks.

Probably the same place as on our 2012 3402, between the pantry cabinet and the shower.
Attached Images

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #25
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Probably the same place as on our 2012 3402, between the pantry cabinet and the shower.
Other words Bob you are saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. Mine doesn't seem to be leaking so I guess I will leave it alone even though I like preventive maintenance. I don't think I want to tear out the pantry to correct what might not ever happen. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If it is not under the kitchen sink, and not under the bathroom lavatory, it is probably in the shower wall. If you can look in the basement and see up under the shower floor, look for 4 pipes going up. That would be one for hot to the shower, one for cold to the shower, and two for the up and down to the anti siphon valve.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #27
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Texan, It is under the bedroom sink. Two white lines running from floor to just below the sink at back of the cabinet. My unit is also a 2014 3402rl.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #28
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
The anti-siphon valve is not there for a vacuum breaker. It's there to prevent waste from getting into your fresh water supply. When mine leaked, I called my dealer who had me run the backflush and then turn the water off. About a minute or 2 later the water started dripping from the bell at the top of the anti-siphon valve. He had me disconnect the hose and release the water. The drip quit. He had me hook it up again and run the backflush. No drip while the backflush was running. Turned off the water and immediately disconnected the hose - no drips. I asked the dealer why it dripped and he said as I turned the water off, the anti-siphon valve started to close and while it was partly open the water went around the side of the valve and out the top. I tried to argue that it was leaking then. He said no it was designed that way. I asked why. He said when the valve is closed and if the black tank filled up under pressure like from a reverse flo valve, waste would travel all the way to the convenience center connection and if a hose was connected to the backflush then into the hose and possibly all the way to the faucet. I asked where the waste was going to go when the water is off and the valve is closed? He said out the top of the valve as it is designed. I said "Into my bathroom and garage"? He said "Yup, better there than in the water supply". I don't want e coli in my drinking water.

It really is an air gap/check valve. We have been full time for over six years and have flushed our black tank weekly the entire time, and never had an issue with this valve. When I flush, I connect the hose, turn on the water and when the flush is completed, I turn off the water, and disconnect the hose. The water in the black flush line drains back from the air gap/check valve out where I connect the hose, and the water on the black tank side of the valve drains into the black tank, and this way, there is no or very little water in the flush line. For those who have removed the valve and use a check valve at the hose inlet, there is always water in the line, and for those who have to winterize, they must remember to winterize this line also. When these valves are installed, they must be at a level higher than anything in the black tank system, which is higher than the top lip of the toilet.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 AM   #29
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Black Tank Anti Siphon Valve

Great information. I have that same problem. My belly pan was full of water. I did notice a leak at the anti siphon valve under the sink. I am not sure how the water gets down to the belly pan? I will try unhooking the hose after flushing the black tank. I will let you know if it works. Any ideas how the water gets down to the belly pan?

Jim Bonhote
2014 3582RL; 2015 Ford F350 Platinum SRW.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #30
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
Jimmer, mine was dripping back down the water line to the basement where it would fall off into the belly.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 3820FK
2019 F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #31
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
When the water comes out of the top of the Anti-siphon valve, it will follow the outside of the hoses connected to it down. In my case those 2 hoses (one going to the hose outside and the other going to the black tank) made a 90 degree bend just under the floor, inside the garage and then they bent back up as they followed the aluminum floor joists. So the 90 degree elbow was the low point and it just dripped from there into the garage. If that hadn't been the low point, the drips would have continued following the line out the garage behind the backside wall of the garage and right into the underbelly. If your hoses touch a plumbing drain as they go thru the floor the drips can actually transfer to the outside of that drain and just follow the drain to where it goes which is to the plumbing in the underbelly. Or it can follow a wall or wall stud if it touches that.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #32
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Had the same problem with that valve or whatever it is. It was located between shower wall and TV cabinet. Went thru shower control opening and cut out the valve and made solid connection where I could reach with sharkbite connectors. Been that way for several years and no more leaking.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #33
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Water in the Belly Pan

I pulled my basement walls off today to try and determine what was causing my water leak in the belly pan. It turned out to be the pipe that goes down from the sink and the shower to the grey tank was leaking. I cleaned off the excess water and I am going to use a hair dryer to make sure it is completely dry and then apply some clear silicone around the area that the pipe goes to the tank. We backflushed the grey tank and when the tank got full it start leaking. Hopefully that should take care of the leak.

Jim Bonhote
14 Montana 3582RL, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #34
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
How did you backflush the gray tank? The only way I can flush my gray tank is by either running the shower and sink that drain into it, or by connecting a reverse-flo vlve to the sewer drain and closing the valve on the reverse-flo valve and fill the sewer drain thru the reverse-flo valve while the gray tank valve is open.

The backflush on your RV should be connected to the black tank only. If you filled the black tank until it got full, then the anit-siphon valve allows the excess water to be discharged into your RV which probably ran along the outside of the plumbing pipes into your underbelley.

When you are running your backflush, you need to have your black tank valve open at all times to prevent over-filling. Except when the black tank gets empty, you can close the black tank valve and allow the tank to fill some to flush it out, but you need to count our watch the clock and get the valve back open to avoid overfilling. On my 50 gal black tank I can fill thru the reverse-flo valve and thru the black tank backflush at the same time for about 2 1/2 minutes which will probably fill the tank about half full. That's enough for me to get a good rinse. I would never fill my black tank full to flush it.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Jimmer, If you have a leak/crack where the drain pipe enters the gray tank, silicon is only a band aid fix and will not last long. Without seeing it, I can not tell you how I would go about fixing the issue. Can you take some pics and post them ?
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #36
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
I set a timer for 10 minutes on my phone. That way I do not get distracted and forget. One guy in our campground closed the black water tank valve and turned on the rinser, forgot, got in his truck and left Water came out the sewer vent on the roof, stool seal leaked some but not a lot. Leaked enough inside to make a big mess.Washed off the roof and sides. One of the neighbors shut the water off
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #37
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
That just happened in our park last week. A couple came into our park close to dark, set up the RV, hooked up 2 hoses connected to a wye - one to the city water and one to the black tank flush, turned on the water and left. Their neighbor later heard water running and found water running out the plumbing vent above the RV. He shut the water off. It flooded their RV. They had a lot of fans running the next day. Sure made a new SOB old quick.

I think it's about time they changed the Anti-siphon valve so that it connects to a hose that drains out the bottom of the RV instead of draining into the mid-air inside the RV. And that if any pressure gets into this hose, it shuts the water off to the black tank backflush. It's not rocket science. It could even be an after-market add-on. As simple as a re-designing the anti-siphon valve with a shut-off on the inlet side activated by a pressure detector on the overflo side connected to a new drain out the bottom. Hello Montanna.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #38
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Sorry, but I got to say it. You cant fix stupid !!!!
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Everybody makes mistakes but this is one you don’t need to make.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #40
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Decided to get rid of the anti-siphon valve today. Got me a couple of shark-bite elbows and used my pex tool and tied it all in. Installed me a $8.00 anti-siphon connector in the convenience center then added by quick disconnect on to that. I will just have to remember to blow the water out of the line when I winterize even though I am pretty far south and my rv stays in an enclosed building all winter. I may move the anti-siphon to the end of the water hose so the line drains after each use. For $12.00 this gives me some pretty cheap peace of mind.