Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #41
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Southwest Colorado; near Durango.

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #42
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Ah nice area. Back when I was a younger I skied up there. At the time they called it Purgatory. Thanks for your help!
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #43
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
The disconnect in the front compartment is solely used to disconnect the 12V power to the dedicated inverter which supplies your residential refrigerator. The disconnect in the convenience center disconnects the 12V power to MOST (not all) of the 12V devices. Notable exceptions include the hydraulic system and the propane detector.
Roadrunner, I didn't notice this before, but it might explain the other disconnect you have. I do not have a residential refer.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #44
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
We still call it Purgatory.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #45
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Battery Disconnect On/Off = Total Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Yes, by "off" I mean the connect/disconnect switch in the battery compartment is now turned to disconnected and the convenience center switch is set to disconnect based on how I read Captnjohn's response. If that's not correct can you give me the correct configuration settings that you use? The manuals provided are as worthless as teats on a bull.
Oh, boy the terminology could not be more opposite and confusing. In my case (no residential fridge), there is one disconnect in the convinience center. If I can pull it out, the battery is disconnected and most of my 12v (lights for example) wont operate. If the disconnect is in, and turned so I can't pull it out, then the battery is connected and the 12 lights work.

My question is: the Keystone Owner's Manual says: "The battery disconnect should be on while driving to allow the batteries to be charged." What the frog do they mean by that????

I'm guessing that it means that the disconnect feature is ON so the battery is disconnected from those 12v items. Right? So does it make sense to have to have it in this state (diconnected) when attached to the trailer and driving?

Thanks,
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #46
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ken,

You want your batteries connected while driving to take advantage of the charging you get from your truck.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #47
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Ken,

You want your batteries connected while driving to take advantage of the charging you get from your truck.
It would be so much more simple if they would have a simple switch labeled connected or disconnected. I think the engineer designers would find it easier if labeled 'lights on / lights off.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #48
Penn Men
Established Member

M.O.C. #24253
Questions on Battery

Winterizing our 2019 3791RD for the first time. Weeks ago the water was done, was shopping for cover and finally got one. It’s been on shore power and when I went to close the slideouts the battery died. I referred to the manual which was no help so I came to MOC.

We’ve decided to remove battery to store in the basement on a trickler. But I wanted to understand y’all’s discussion better. I think I see a battery off switch in the battery compartment but y’all mention a second one in the utility compartment which I don’t see, all I see is the inverter and the Dual Motor Sync Velocity Slide Controller. If someone can give me a primer, I’m new to this, it’d be appreciated. Thanks to all.

I am attaching pics, pic#1 is the Battery switch in the Battery Comp, pic#2 is the Slide out Sync, does this play a roll? Where is the 2nd off switch in the utility compartment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05CB4430-A123-4B9B-9EB7-E956D5DA7687.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	5083   Click image for larger version

Name:	9061AA80-BC25-4C9A-A1D8-D0D995A43472.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	5084  
Penn Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #49
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The normal battery disconnect, which does not remove all battery loads resides in the convenience center where you have the inlets for fresh water, black tank flush, etc. There will be a red key that can't be pulled out when the switch is on. I never use this at all if I do any battery maintenance. If the battery is charged, then you can just remove a battery cable (I remove the negative cable going to the montana metal work) and reconnect in the spring when you are ready to use the trailer.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #50
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Earlier posts in this Topic touch on all your questions. But to summarize.
If you are on shore power all thee time, then leave the battery in the unit. The onboard converter is better than your trickle charger. Be sure to have the Battery Disconnect switch so that the key can't be puled out. That indicates 12V is passing from the converter to the batteries.

If you are determined to remove the batteries, not a prospect I look forward to with 4 or 6 batteries, you can do so. The battery cables will be disconnected which obviates the need to play with the red disconnect key.

The disconnect in the front compartment is solely used to disconnect the 12V power to the dedicated inverter which supplies your residential refrigerator. The disconnect in the convenience center disconnects the 12V power to MOST (not all) of the 12V devices. Notable exceptions include the hydraulic system and the propane detector. Pic #1 is the battery disconnect for the inverter and residential refer.

Without shore power, you can leave your batteries in the unit all winter. They need to be fully charged and the cables disconnect to avoid parasitic draws. They will be still charged in the Spring.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #51
Penn Men
Established Member

M.O.C. #24253
Thanks Jcurtis and Carl, this was my DUH moment. I had previously known that key was there but instead I went on a wild goose chase looking through the “basement” for a switch similar to the one in the battery compartment. But regardless, thanks for your reply, I found it!

I live in rural Pennsylvania and I have found these very cold winters have taken a toll on my motorbike and tractor batteries. I put everything in the barn and they are on trickle but after last winter I lost 2 batteries “before their time” my opinion. I have decided to start storing them in the basement where the temps are kinder and I can trickle them thru the winter. I assume the Coach battery is not cheap and since it’s new, I took it out of the Monty and now it sits in the basement waiting for our first Spring trip.

Again thanks guys. Carl, I had read your previous posts and they are very informative, I just wanted to ask the question again, it never hurts to read good info again. This new coach is the biggest we’ve ever owned and there is so much to learn!
Penn Men is offline   Reply With Quote