Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Garmin Updates

I recently received an email from Garmin to update our Garmin (Nuvi650). It offered two ways to update.
Pay for one update @ $69 download or order cd. Pay for lifetime updates (up to 4 per year) @$119. download only. --One time cost.

Has anyone opted for the lifetime updates? I haven't called Garmin yet, but wanted input from someone more in the know?? Tks.

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am toying with the idea. Upgrading 4 times a year sounds attractive, So does the one time fee.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
It took all night and 2GB on my air card for the DL.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have not (yet) done the update but did talk with Garmin about the lifetime option. Keep in mind it is for THAT unit only. If you get a different unit, you lose that lifetime map update benefit and have to pay for updates, single or lifetime, for the new unit.

That's the reason I have not purchased the lifetime option - my unit is getting long of tooth. While it's still working great and still meets my needs, one of these days I'm going to break down and spring for a new Nuvi 755T. At that time I'll go with the lifetime updates.

I've also not yet updated with the single time option, either. I'm waiting until next Spring. At that time I'll make the decsion to get a new unit or update the map on my 2720.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lifetime updates are only good if you plan to keep your GPS (or most anything for that matter) for a long time and live in an area that changes a LOT.

My last seven cars have had GPS' and I haven't had a need to update any of them because of the turnaround. Now I have kept my last two vehicles for 8 years and 3 years so I will consider a one shot update on the 8 year old.

Here's some reasons to consider updating and how often:

1.) Cost is not an issue, if it is, then minimize the update frequency
2.) You want to keep your database up-to-date all the time.
3.) Having problems with the unit that can be fixed with updates.
4.) You are constantly moving around and need to latest updates.
5.) You have learned to rely on the database for current business types that you frequent (KOA locations for example).
6.) Your GPS is feature-rich (expensive) and it behooves you to update rather than replace.
7.) You want to keep your unit a long time.
8.) Upgrading the unit is less expensive than buying a unit.

Just a sample of justifying your decision to update. There is no wrong decision. Pick what works for you and you can certainly change your mind.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Normally I'd agree with you but, in the Garmin case, the lifetime option is well under the cost of just two single updates. And you can update four times per year. Usually the lifetime deals are best for the seller but in this case I think the Garmin deal is a steal for anyone who plans to keep the same unit for at least a couple of years.

The point about whether you live in an area that changes a lot is a valid point for many folks. But not for us fulltimers who travel the country. We spend most of our time in unfamiliar areas and having the most current map that shows that new highway and that new interchange is valuable to us. Unfortunately even the most current map is not totally current, but today's map is still better than last year's map and the one before that, etc. Shoot, in Williamsburg, VA it took me three trips to the Walmart Supercenter with the gps before I could find it on my own! And Vicki will tell you I am good at learning my way around a new area pretty quickly. But that place really threw me.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops, Art, Vicki just pointed out you do mention those who move around a lot might want the more frequent updates. I guess I missed that or CRS set in. Sorry.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Great responses ya'll...and tks. SteveReigle indicates he may get the nuvi755 and at the rate Garmin puts out new models the 755 like my 650 will be vintage...but the 650 works just fine. Examining how important it is to update gave Art's response something to think about. It's like a map in the ole glove box. How long did we keep them there before we replaced it with a new one? Answer: when we traded the vehicle in!!

Tks again.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we run across a visitor center when moving into another state, we check the age of our paper map and get a new one if it's more than a year old. Despite relying heavily on the gps, there are times you just can't beat a paper map.

Dennis, you're right. That model likely will be discontinued by the time I'm ready to move to a newer one. I did my research with intent to purchase this past Spring and found the 755 meets my needs. I don't want to give up anything my 2720 can do but would also like the newer capabilities, like showing speed limit on the screen, etc. But, after deciding on the 755 I got a case of squeaky wallet and figured out I can't justify replacing a perfectly good gps. I must be getting older. In my working days I would have just gone out and bought it.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Dennis - I am thinking about the lifetime updates and will probably go that route. Wish I had them yesterday as I was driving up route 222 looking for 100 north just outside of Allentown, PA. Road sign said to exit and Garmin said to go straight. I was in the left lane and hard to exit so, against my better judgment, I went straight - right off the map!! Told Judy, "Time to update".
Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like my reasoning number 2 and number 4 run rampant for Full timers, Long Timers and heavy travellers. Isn't the main reason for getting a GPS is to eliminate the clutter of maps and tourbooks so we don't get lost or can find something in particular?!

Hey mail2us. The cost for your updates is way cheaper than any offerings I have had. For my car and truck GPS systems, the update price is $450 and $250 and I consider that too high. I will wait a while before updating at that price.

I now can't live without the thing! I depend on a GPS so much, as a backup I also have a laptop with a couple of software programs and a handheld GPS that I can use, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
It is incredible! I tend to do the opposite of what John (bullroc3) describes. I usually go the opposite of Garmin and DW really gets upset. Go figure. Judy likes the Garmin cause she can monitor the speed limit when she can't see the odometer! I have also ended up close to a green pasture following our Garmin, but overall, it is a great aid when travelling.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, I don't know which Garmin you have. On mine I can choose what displays on the main page. I choose not to show current speed. If yours has that option (not all Garmins have that option) then there's your solution to your speed cop.

Before GPS, for a long trip I had to write down all the turns and distances to the turns. Otherwise I'd have to be looking at maps while driving or I'd have to pull over to look. Even with the list of turns, I'd still pull that paper up and check it so I could remember what my next turn is or confirm in my mind that I remembered correctly. I like having Mary Jack tell me a turn is coming up. THEN I start watching the signs to confirm her instructions. But about the only time I actually use a paper map anymore is to check for places we might want to go for sightseeing. Then I let the gps take us there.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
YEP figured one price for lifetime and it's a done deal, also signed up for the e-mail notice if there's update so I don't have to keep checking.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
See Steve, it took a QC guy to jump, review and make the decision! We're still talking how we used to do it. Life is good.
We have a nuvi650 and normally I simply defer to Judy the DW to manage the nuvi. I normally don't go over 60-65, so she can monitor me all she wants. After all, she's in charge. hehehe.