Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Where to carry my two 2000i Generators

Do any of you carry your Honda Gens. underneath in the basement? I was wondering how safe it was if they we're load with gasoline.
I have the 3400 and was thinking of carrying them in the front compartment that is originally built for the built-in generator.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
that is where we carry ours, in the gen prep area
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I built a rack for mine and keep them in the back of my truck along with a gas can and two small propane bottles for the grill. Everything explosive in the back of the truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Since you can close the vent on a Honda genset gas tank, it is no different than a propane tank, spray paint, and all the other flammable stuff in a RV. I carry mine in the front garage until I need it. Then it rides in the back of the truck for my convenience. Too much of a pain to put it in and take out of the garage every day. I always have it with me even if I don't plan to boondock. You never know when the power will go out in some of these campgrounds.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We made a 2X4 frame and it fits perfect infront of the hitch in the bed of the truck. I can put the two 2000 Hondas in it and a five gallon can inplace and I then double cable them down for those that might want to try and take them. This is for traveling purposes and when we get to where we will be using the units we take them out and cable them to the front legs or to the Monte itself. I run the cable through the handles and also through the handle of the gas can. There are also some posts on this same subject. Go to the Search engine on the top or the page and key in Generator racks or the like. If you can't find it let us know! I'm sure there will be more postings coming along!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I carry mine and the six gal poney tank in the bed of the truck. I can operate them from there too.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I carry my 75 pound Boily in the basement drivers side. It stays there all season long. I keep it covered up with a large towel and fits perfectly there.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
We carry our two Yamaha's in the gen compartment, and have created a strap system to hold them in place while traveling. Never had them tip or spill. We take them out when we want to use them and lock them to one of the legs of the trailer. Have fun!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Rondo also mentioned building a rack in the back of your truck. To give you an idea of what we're talking about here are pictures of mine http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/DQ...?sort=3&page=1
I've rebuilt it a little since we got level-up and don't carry a big tripod jack anymore, but you get the idea. This is another of those shared things on the form. I stole this idea from another member.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We carry our 2 Honda's in the basement have done that since we've had our rigs and never have had any problems.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

Same here
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Rondo also mentioned building a rack in the back of your truck. To give you an idea of what we're talking about here are pictures of mine http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/DQ...?sort=3&page=1
I've rebuilt it a little since we got level-up and don't carry a big tripod jack anymore, but you get the idea. This is another of those shared things on the form. I stole this idea from another member.
Say, Dick. Where did you get that short "pig-tail" device used to go between your TV plug-in and the Monty? That looks like something I need.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a tool box in the bed of my truck, which holds both hondas, gas can and too box with room to spare for my kayak.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Say, Dick. Where did you get that short "pig-tail" device used to go between your TV plug-in and the Monty? That looks like something I need.
Don't honestly remember, I've had it a long time. Could have been here: http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-7-Pin-...wire+extension or it could have come from Eastern Marine, Tweety's or Trailer Supply whomever had the best price. Now days I'd check first with Ozz in case it's something he carries.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Same here. I close the vent on the generator. I also installed 2 tie down points that I securely attach a bungee to after running it through the handle. I also lock it to those same points with a heavy duty cable and lock. I surround the generator with foam noodles to keep it from shifting and hitting the walls of the generator prep area. The generator goes wherever the Monty goes.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

Quote:

Same here
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:

Quote:

Same here
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:

Quote:

Same here
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The front compartment is designed to carry generators. But I wouldn't run any portable from there. The main difference between a standalone and the portables is that the standalone is typically wired and plumbed for being run from the front compartment. I don't think the portables would do as well in there. This is why some setup theirs in the truck bed with plenty of ventilation. Or put them on the ground outside the trailer connector but find a way to secure them. Some members have posted stories of portables on the ground that grow feet. That would bum me out big time cuz mine aren't trained to "return home" and I would miss them terribly!

When I am not using them I do what mtheo and others do. Carry them in my truck bed locking tool box. They fit just fine along with a gas can a couple propane bottles and the pancake compressor. Just don't tell anyone what's in there so they aren't "tempted". But unlike mtheo, I can't fit a kayak in there. I'm impressed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
If carried in bed of truck do you run them from there, and if so did you get a longer cord? Our plug in is in the back of our 5th wheel and the cord will not reach to the bed of the TV. My apologies if this is a stupid question and thanks for your help!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's a great question. What I do is take them out of the truck, set them down by the plug, then start them up and plug them in. We don't go anywhere when they are there to keep them "safe". I've only used them twice while in a campground when our campsites had some power issues. It was for no longer than 2-3 hours at the longest. One of these days I'll need them longer and will add a larger fuel reservoir to increase run time and some major chains and locks for security.

Some people do run them from the truck, just park on the back of the rig for the cord to reach until they need to go away, then they just unplug and go. Others have created some significant metal plates and hardware to keep them secure so they can leave them there to keep the A/C or other 110v things in the rig going. I hope you hear of other options because there are some.

I have been known to run some pretty long water supply lines and I can also run some pretty long sewer lines, but I try not to run long power lines (just the one 25-30 foot cord, since there is a long run from the rear of the trailer to the electrical panel already). Others braver than me do run longer power cords and might be able to comment more on this, regarding how to keep the power from dropping if the lines are long.

In case you're curious, a generator in the front of the rig gets tapped into the electric box toward the front of the rig and usually does not have to plug in at the rear connector. That keeps the cord short.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote