Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Cutting holes in your interior panels.

I think most of you know this, but the hollow interior walls of an RV are only 1/8th " thick and a utility knife with a sharp blade will cut through in about 4 passes. This is handy in tight corners where a power tool would not work or if you are worried about wires or pipes in the wall. Yesterday I cut out the panel behind my toilet using a utility knife and it works pretty good. The inner panel is woodgrain and I was able to salvage that for use in my renovations.

I took the tube tv out and put a thin LCD in it's place. Now I am doing the renovations to access the space behind the old TV. My original plan was to put a door on the side over the stairway but there is a plumbing vent and wires in that wall so that would be very difficult to do.

Instead I am going to put two doors just behind the toilet. This gives a wider access to the space and that wall is completely hollow with only a thin stud in the centre which makes this job a lot easier.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good tips, Buddy.
When you can use a power tool, get a plunge router like tool, the Zip router, Lowe's. You can set the depth and cut into the wall just short of coming through the other side, then finish with a knife, or just push it out. This is super on the Black under belly covering as well, that way you can cut an access hole without cutting hydraulic or electrical lines that are just laying on the panel.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:20 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have often thought of cutting into the wall in the Potty Room and accessimg
the cupboard above the TV in our 2955.That cupboard is so high and hard to reach from the living area.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wrenchtraveler -

When looking at new Montys - that was the first thing Dory noticed was the cupboard access above the toilet into the cabinet above the TV. That was a great improvement, as it eliminated the head knocker cabinet in front of the toilet and utilized at least half of the cabinet over the TV far better than ours. I'm assuming your newer rig already has these cabinet doors? Are you talking about adding more below them?

Ken - Keystone must have been reading your mind.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
That's right Brad , I have two doors left from the fireplace install and they will go under the two doors in there. The top cabinet is quite large but the new one below will be way bigger.

I will post some pics when it is done.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks Don, great idea for the access doors. Barb wuld love to have that done for easy access to the cabinet above the TV.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
how about a thin panel tv in the bathroom? LOL
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
A Dremel tool with a cutting disk can also get into tight corners. I've used it at home to cut sheetrock for computer LAN drops as well as installing outlets in my old RV.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote