Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
pdferg
Established Member

M.O.C. #3124
Porta-Bote mounts

We just purchased a 2006 Montana 3400 and have ordered a 12 ft. Porta-Bote to be mounted on the side of it. I would appreciate some advice where to put it and if Camping World would be the place to have it done. Thanks!

Pat Ferguson
2005 Dodge diesel Laramie 4X4
Air Bags

pdferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Well, never heard of such a thing. Just looked it up on the internet and that is really impressive. To bad we don't fish. I would think you could have it put anywhere that the slide didn't need to come out. Or even on the top of the Monty..Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hi, Pat. Welcome to the forum! We have our 12' Porta-Bote mounted on our big slide using the Porta-Bote brackets with painted aluminum backing plates inside the slide. We use foam pipe insulation over the bungy cords (used to keep the boat folded)to keep them and the boat from rubbing the slide. We didn't do this on our other 5th wheel and ended up with some ugly chafing. Ours was mounted by Beaudry RV in Tucson - transferred from old 5th wheel to new Monty. They did a nice job after Bob told them how he wanted it. Camping World would probably do a good job. If you would like a picture of ours, let me know and I'll email one. I haven't figured out the posting here yet.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
P.S. to Pat. A friend of ours removed his spare tire and made a bracket for the boat which lowered with the spare tire mechanism. Another way to do it. I wouldn't recommend carrying it on top of your 5th wheel as the boat weighs close to 70 lbs. without seats or transom. Bob says to make sure you save some space somewhere for the seats, transom, motor and gas tank. We have had ours over 8 years and have used it everywhere - San Francisco Bay, rivers, the Florida Keys and lakes. We love it. It lets you see the sights from a perspective otherwise unavailable to you.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I have a 12' Porta-Bote and made brackets that fit under the Monty. I put rollers on them for easy in and out and it works great. It rides above the axles so no clearance problems. Just got back from a 1400 mile trip and no issues. The brackets were made with materials from Lowes. Send me your E-Mail address and I will send you pictures. We will be at the Great Lakes rally in September.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Pat; I have a 10' porta-boat which I mounted on the long slide on our 2850 RK,It works great!! took it all the way to the Artic Circle and fished some great northern lakes. I bolted the bracket through-hull and put huge washers on the inside. but as someone has noted,do something to avoid the boat from chaffing the side of your Monty. Good Luck;Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
pdferg
Established Member

M.O.C. #3124
Thanks for the useful info! and tip on the foam covers over the bungy cords to prevent rubbing.

Pat and Delona Ferguson - retired part timers
2006 Monty 3400
2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel Laramie 4X4 - Rhino liner long bed - air bags

pdferg is offline   Reply With Quote