Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Looks like today will be the day....

for placing the order on the new 2011 Montana 3750FL. Price, trade, add-ons and everything else has been agreed upon. The dealer we are using (SummitRV in Ashland, KY) has been fantastic as well as the salesman, Bruce. I must mention that we also had considered Camping World at Myrtle Beach for the purchase, and they were equally fantastic. If you are in either area and need a deal, I can only give kudos to both dealerships. Camping World gave the best price by far and the salesman, Rick did everything he could to put us in the rig and I can state without hesitation that I would recommend him to anyone in the market. Our factor was not price alone, but rather the final decision was based on preference for a local dealer for support and service. For those who are interested the details regarding the options, they are listed as follows. We did decide on the Blackthorn interior with the Moving to Montana and Hickory Edition option packages which includes teh 12 cu.ft. fridge that Cathy loves. Then we couldn't stop and added on the Onan 5.5 kw LP Marquis Gold generator and generator prep, central vac, fireplace 30" OTR Convection/Microwave oven, 2nd AC, Wireless rear backup camera, king size bed, dual pane windows, slide awnings, and the new high back chair with step ladder. Now as if that is not enough, we still couldn't stop, we also opted for a Winegard Traveler Slimline KA/KU Multi Satellite (we have DirecTV and that is the only one that supports full HD), upped the 30 pound propane tanks to 40's, and are having the dealer move the Splendide stackables from the 3400 into the new rig (Cathy will not part with them either!!). Wow, what a hectic week, and in the course of typing this, got a call from the dealer and the order is in!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We'll start gathering things for the scavenger hunt.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
No water ballons, it would be my look that it may look like a water leak or something since we know all the connections are hand-tightened!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Congratulations Bingo & Cathy on ordering your new rig. We know you are excited about the new rig and we are right in there with you. We know you will enjoy many fine travels with it. We will be looking for the news when you take delivery.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Congrats Bingo.... but 40# tanks, you are way more fit than me! I hate lifting the 30# into position, I can't imagine 40#.

I have a friend that owns an OPEN RANGE 5er (the brand is relatively new). They also have 40# tanks on either side, but they do it with two 20# tanks on either side. They are on a slide tray and all the plumbing is provided. I have a much better time carrying two 20# tanks than I would a single 40# because of the way they are carried. I would have a much easier time lifting the 20#ers into my truck bed.

But you can't complain about the rest of the rig, at all! Enjoy! Reading your post is like you are integrating all the Forum discussions on what to have for an optimum rig right out the door! Good job!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now..... About pulling that shinny new Montrana with a ..old truck..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rich,
The "old truck" has 25,000 miles on it, none of that pollution garbage (prior to DPF, etc.) and it actually helped with the purchase. Cathy was looking hard at the Mobile and Elite Suites as well as Landmark and I got them off the short list by telling her we would need a new truck to pull those with!!!
Bingo

Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quick thinking Bingo. I head her say at the rally that a new truck was..out of the question but she said nothing about a new camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Hey guys, Congratulations!
So glad it worked out for you. It will probably be a long month now but once you get in it I’m sure the wait will be worth it. Bingo, I would start working on Cathy now about a new truck and keep reminding her that it’s your turn now.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Congrats Bingo. I know you will like your new rig. Must have been having one at the Mid A Rally that really did it.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bingo how could you! How can you abandon the 3400 club? You were my idol and I almost had the formula for placing the 3400 on that new boat dock now your going with a 3750! I am going to have to trash all my figures and start over again. I guess you know that this will disqualify you as the poster couple for the 3400 club. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - especially if it keeps momma happy.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #12
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Congrats on the new rig...I'm sure it's very exciting !!
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations on your new purchase. Now you can start planning for those modifications.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You got that part about planning the modifications right, Dennis. We are already planning to replace the two interior doors (cheap, cheap) with actual doors (wood) and stain them some shade of ebony or black to match the interior. DW is also insistent that the cheapo light globe fixture on the ceiling fan has got to go. I still have to figure out the electrical supply system to get the Autoformer and EMS installed as well. We will also be transferring the new Delta faucet in to the new rig (thank goodness I held off on the soap dispenser installation in the 3400) and will be installing the soap dispenser also. I have a hunch that the "honey to do" list will be growing over the next month while we await delivery!!
Bingo

Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good job keeping the dually truck. I hear a diesel ain't broken in until at least 30,000 miles, maybe more, so you would have been trading in a "new" truck. It's hard to believe it wasn't strong enough to get those larger RVs but I know deep down you wanted to stay in the Keystone/Montana family.

Just curious. What generator are you planning for the new home? Are you getting one big enough for 50 amps? Did you use your Kipor with the 3400 much? I see the Kipor is only about 30 amp (more like 25 amp if 30 amp is peak).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hey Art,
The generator installation is for the Onan Marquis 5.5kw LP powered unit. Our primary use for the generator is a little different than that of most people in that we use it primarily for running the AC when we are mobile in hot weather. We run the AC because the pets (dog and cat) travel in crates in the rig. The Kipor would run the front (13500 BTU) AC with no problems and has served us well (it will still be used for the stickhouse backup when the power goes out). As one of the mods on the 3400, I installed a receptacle in the front of the rig so I could run a 30 Amp shore feed to the rig from the generator which was carried in the back of the truck. So now the obvious question is why such an investment for the pets. It is the pets as well as my back. Your post about the weight of the 40 pound tanks rings true, but believe me, the Kipor was a major hassle. It weighs around 160 pounds. So before trips in the summer, I would have to loosen the fifth wheel hitch (200 pounds or so), and move it to the side of the bed so I could roll the generator on ramps into the truck bed where it would be cable locked in. After returning, the generator would have to be removed since I don't trust leaving it in the bed all the time. So the decision was one that can primarily be associated with aging (Even though I only turned 29 again for the 22nd time in December!). Another thing I considered was that these units can be equipped with an automatic start that will fire up the generator when shore power is lost. A big benefit in 90 degree weather when we are elsewhere and the pets are in the rig. On the note about the truck, ours is rated for 16,600 pounds fifth-wheel towing, and the 3750 fits within all the numbers (at least as far as I am concerned). I like the truck mainly because it is the last model ("Classic") with the unencumbered (this can be read as before the gov't changed all of them) diesel engine. As for the other rigs that really caught Cathy's eyes, they are north of 20,000 pounds, which the new diesels supposedly can pull, but I would not feel comfortable pulling with the current truck. I really have no so-called loyalty to Montana (we also strongly considered a Cameo and Carri-Lite), but this floor plan fits every need we have for the current time as well as the future. Primary criteria for us has lately been closet for stackable washer/dryer, the stand-alone bathroom, closet space, and the 3750 has all of them. The open floor plan from the living room through the kitchen and dining area was another strong factor. If you have never been in one of these new floorplans, they are definitely worth a look see.
Bingo

Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sounds like a very exciting time, sure is going to be a lot of work moving into the new rig and getting it just the way you like it.

Congratulations!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #18
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Good luck on the new rig and we hope to see it on line in Goshen ,, We will make sure they put in all the staples and glue to keep it perfect ;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote