Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
tire valve t-stem

Hello,

I am looking at getting a TPMS. I ran across these t-valves from Hawkshead. With this you can leave the sensor attached and be able to inflate/deflate.

Just wondering if anyone uses this type of stem and have any comments. I have read that they have trouble seating on the rims.

http://www.tpms.ca/TVALVE.html

http://www.tpms.ca/TPMSVALVEPurchase.php

Thanks a bunch!

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I just take the sensors off the tires and check the pressure and then return them to the same tire I took them from. It works well that way and really doesn't take any extra time to do. I would think, not being a tire expert, that this addition just adds a very small amount of weight to each system on the tire.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By tim43

I just take the sensors off the tires and check the pressure and then return them to the same tire I took them from. It works well that way and really doesn't take any extra time to do. I would think, not being a tire expert, that this addition just adds a very small amount of weight to each system on the tire.
I agree Tim. It will add a little more weight to the stem and IMHO, is completely useless. You have to unscrew a valve cap or a sensor either way.

On edit - It also creates another place for a leak to occur, an extra valve core.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Quote:
quote:By tim43

I agree Tim. It will add a little more weight to the stem and IMHO, is completely useless. You have to unscrew a valve cap or a sensor either way.

On edit - It also creates another place for a leak to occur, an extra valve core.
Good point on an extra place to leak. On unscrewing a valve cap or sensor either way, I was thinking the gasket or seal on the sensor. Not sure how they are assembled, but I read about seal wear, so I figured the less on/off of the sensor the better for the seal to last longer?? Just a thought.

thanks for the input!

Greg
Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wouldn't the weight be insignificant? It might affect balancing a tire. I suppose this is intended for those who use the sensor lock which is difficult to remove when you need to refill a tire. If it's an extra place to leak, then it's a good thing there's a TPMS to let you know. It looks like the product includes the whole valve which is why there's a recommendation that a tire store do it.

How does one know what size to order?

If I had a TPMS and I used sensor locks and I wanted to save some time when it's time to put air in the tires, I might consider it. Just know what you're getting into when using this gadget and what to look for and check periodically to ensure things are good.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
How often do you plan on taking the sensor off? Last time mine were off was when I had the tires replaced at Lonnies a year or so ago.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I suppose this is intended for those who use the sensor lock which is difficult to remove when you need to refill a tire.
That's the other thing I forgot, the sensor lock... why I thought this might be an easier way to keep the tires checked.