Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
BD Transmission TorqLoc & BD Exhaust Brake

Any one driving a F250 7.3 Diesel Auto Trans with a BD TorqLoc & BD Exhaust Brake. When towing do you have the TorqLoc switch in the down green light position or the up red light position? I have been told different ways by other people with this system. Which way do you use?

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
when towing you will lock the trany and use the exhaust brake .this will use the trany and the exhaust system to help you brake.if you just use the exhaust system then the trany is not helping you brake.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
thor,
When the TorqLoc switch is in the up red or green down position it is engaged when the exhaust brake engages when you take your foot off the fuel. The exhaust brake disengages when you are back on the fuel pedal and the TorqLoc changes transmission mode depending on if the switch is in green down position or up red position. My question is which is the best way to use the TorqLoc to not hurt the transmission?

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
When we had our 7.3 we had the Bully Dog six position performance chip installed. First position is stock. We then had one of the electronic exhaust brakes installed. That uses the exhaust back pressure valve that is on the truck for warm up. The Bully Dog chip keeps the torque converter locked until twenty m.p.h. The exhaust back pressure valve works about 95% as good as a exhaust brake and is an easy install. Left it on all the time when towing.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
maximo

I have exactly what you have but I have the F-350. No difference really. With the torque loc in the down position the exhaust brake will work anytime you decelerate. I was told by the person that installed it, (if I remember right) that the cruise will not let it work if in that position. With it in the up position its like making it manual. Both positions work and I personally only use the exhaust brake when needed. Not for normal driving on the flat ground interstate. Another thing I discovered with the TorQ Loc was when it was in the up position when climbing a big hill the transmission temp will come down a bit. Why this works I do not understand but a friend said try it and it worked real well in the Bighorn Mtns. Hope this answer your question.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote