Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Dump connection

I recently bought an extension for my dump connection. When I removed the cap to install the extension, I had some water and waste come flowing out. Not a full dump but still quite a mess. I installed the extension and put the cap back on but the cap also seems to leak some water. Both my valves were shut. How can this stuff be getting by the cutoff valves and what can I do to repair it? I am puzzled presently and can not imagine what is going on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There should be three valves, galley gray, bath gray, and black. Are you sure all three are closed?? It would assist the forum members if you would add your rig year and model to your signature line as well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I usually have a little, especially black water, get past the shut off valves. I believe sometimes waste or paper gets caught in the shut off valve and that allows some leak by. With a good black tank drain and flush it is less likely to happen.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
After supposedly correcting the problem under warranty twice - without success - I added a valve to the end of the main drain pipe. Problem solved. Now, I can take off the drain cover with no leakage, and hook up the drain hose. I believe, like others have said, that small amounts of paper, etc keep the black tank valve from completely sealing, and then while under motion some "stuff" gets by and is waiting for you to spill out when you take the cap off!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

After supposedly correcting the problem under warranty twice - without success - I added a valve to the end of the main drain pipe. Problem solved. Now, I can take off the drain cover with no leakage, and hook up the drain hose. I believe, like others have said, that small amounts of paper, etc keep the black tank valve from completely sealing, and then while under motion some "stuff" gets by and is waiting for you to spill out when you take the cap off!
Exactly what I did. Had no problems but its an added security. Plus there is a lot of drain past the points of the shutoff valves and a chance for something to be there.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
With the swing out sewer pipe on the newer units you can just elevate the end of the hose before removing the cap.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

With the swing out sewer pipe on the newer units you can just elevate the end of the hose before removing the cap.
That's what I end up doing also. I am starting to lean towards adding the additional valve though.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Just added the extra valve at end of pipe to mine. Using the swing boom only for storing hose, actually added length to boom.I like to use the clear view flusher in addition to the onboard flusher. Usually flush as many times as necessary to get pure clear water. It also improves the performance of the monitor. This is a mod partially from the forum and partially from past experience with monitor problems on other coaches. I do it to hopefully never have buildup in the tank. May be overkill but it makes me feel better. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
I removed the swing out hose holder because my hose ends and connectors would not fit into it so I am going to add another cut off valve to mine. I am looking at this one:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Drain-...444d32302d5250

It would sure add to my convenience when dumping. Thanks for all the input folks. I really appreciated it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jetenbu

I removed the swing out hose holder because my hose ends and connectors would not fit into it....
A 10' RhinoFLEX hose and adapters fit well into the standard tube. Having a spare 15' around covers those situations where the sewer connection is a distance away. Others have replaced the standard pipe with a longer one available at Camping World.

Quote:
quote: ...so I am going to add another cut off valve to mine. I am looking at this one:
Due to the length of the plumbing pipes and the lack of slope, there always seems to be liquid left after dumping and closing the valves. Most of us use a manual twist on/off gate valve like this to prevent any surprises when removing the cap.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/twist-on-valve/27868

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote: ...so I am going to add another cut off valve to mine. I am looking at this one:
Due to the length of the plumbing pipes and the lack of slope, there always seems to be liquid left after dumping and closing the valves. Most of us use a manual twist on/off gate valve like this to prevent any surprises when removing the cap.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868[/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3][/blue]

[/quote]
That works wonderfully. However, I would caution here that you might consider putting a screw hole in the outer edge of the twist on valve so that you can put a screw into it to hold the valve on. If you don't, then you'll be buying another valve -- like I did! The vibration going down the road caused mine to come off.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
ols1932 - Thanks for the advice. I will use your suggestion when adding the electrical gate valve.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Carl and Susan - I looked at the manual gate valves but due to my back problems I think I will go for the electric so I don't have to get down on my knees and try to pull that thing open. Your suggestion is appreciated. I ordered the electric gate valve yesterday and am looking forward to installing and using it.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jetenbu

I removed the swing out hose holder because my hose ends and connectors would not fit into it so I am going to add another cut off valve to mine. I am looking at this one:

It would sure add to my convenience when dumping. Thanks for all the input folks. I really appreciated it.
This is a great link for all to see. Thanks for posting
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote