Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Adding another incoming power plug

I have a Montana 3625RL that has the incoming power plug in the very back. I carry a generator in the back of my truck that is too heavy for me to unload it myself. My solution was to have my dealership put another power input plug in the front of the Montana. My Montana was generator ready but since I already had a generator, I chose to NOT have a generator installed when I bought it. All the dealership had to do is install the power plug and cable it to where the generator output wiring would normally connect in the large storage bay ceiling. This connection connects to the transfer switch already so it was relatively simple. My dealership had never had such a request before but understood how handy this could be. The cost was not bad and now I do not have to buy an extension cable to reach my generator when I boondock. My generator has a 50amp plug in so I have the same amount of power whether boondocking or on park power. Definitely a win/win situation. I do not expect Montana would ever put an additional input plug on the front of the 5er but it sure works for me.

I am looking forward to any and all comments you all care to share. Hopefully this idea will help others.

jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is what I did on our previous rig and the convenience was the reason. At the time, I carried a generator in the truck as well, and we would run the air conditioner while in transit in order to keep the rig cool (we carried the furry creatures in crates in the rig). I opted for the built-in genny this time around so the need is not there now. Sounds like you have what you need!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
This is exactly what I have done. Very convenient. It beats having to drag out the extension cord.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
duffy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9200
Understand what you are saying , I permanently installed a 50 amp cord underneath the Monty so depending on which power I have just plug in and go.....
duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
This is a great idea. Stopped by my dealer to see what the charge for this. Answer time & materials; was pretty obvious they had never done this. I'm not anxious for them to learn on my [s]dime[/s] dollars.

Can anybody share what the extra plug should cost?

Any pictures of your installation?

Are there any books that show where the gen prep is located on my 2010 3665re. I'm traveling to Tucson, anyone have the install done down that way?

Thanks ... Jeff
jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
The extra plug in cost me in labor 1 1/2 hours. I already had the parts so they only had to have the wire, which they had as scrap so it did not cost me anything for the wire. Tested it all out and it works like a champ. I love knowing I have the convenience and versatility it brings. I would recommend it to everyone....
Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
First you are going to need a 50amp Inlet: http://tweetys.com/easy-lock-standard-inlets.aspx

Generator prep does not include a transfer switch, so you will need a transfer switch: http://tweetys.com/rv-auto-transfer-relay-systems.aspx

Other then some wire (10/3) that should be all you need parts wise.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

First you are going to need a 50amp Inlet: http://tweetys.com/easy-lock-standard-inlets.aspx

Generator prep does not include a transfer switch, so you will need a transfer switch: http://tweetys.com/rv-auto-transfer-relay-systems.aspx

Other then some wire (10/3) that should be all you need parts wise.
Make sure if you order to specify the 50amp version because the ad defaults to the 30amp one
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
With generator prep comes a transfer switch, at least it did in my case. The dealership said it was already installed in all Montana's with the generator prep. I already had the 50amp inlet plug so all the dealership provided was the 10/3 wire they had left over from a previous generator install. I love this mod....
Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
I wrote up a blog on how I did ours in case anyone needed ideas. No gen prep, so rigged up a manual transfer switch and a cord that drops down through the bottom of the passenger side propane compartment, long enough to reach the truck bed. Easy hookup to the Honda gens in the truck bed when making a rest stop or a one-night boondock. We also use this cord (along with a 30 amp extension cord) when the electric service is in a weird spot and only need 30 amps.

http://manualtranferswitch.blogspot.com/
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
mrtgraz1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11692
I just have one question, what happens if God fobid you have a electrical fire. Will your insurance cover a non Ul approved interlock or even the transfer switch, i LOVE THE IDEA but would not want to give the insurance company any excuses not to pay.At least with the dealership installed hook ups , i would think they would be libal. You can buy a UL approved interlock for Square D QO breakers . for $25 BUT THEY ONLY WORK ON SQ D BREAKERS.
mrtgraz1 is offline   Reply With Quote