Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2023, 05:55 PM   #1
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
black tank and gray and galley tanks

can't get any of my tanks to drain . I would think it has to be a stoppage in the terminal portion of the system after the other tanks join it. Have you ever had a septic pump truck try to suction the tanks . I would think you would have to have the entries to the tanks open to prevent damage to the tanks from too high of pressure.. Suggestions welcome

tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sure would help knowing what rig you have. You don't have another valve on the connection where you attach your drain hose? And, are you the original owner and have you ever had an issue draining these tanks before?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Black, Gray and Galley tanks

2014 Montana HC 305 Never a problem draining any tanks before,bought new. Do have the trickle-stopper valve on the end of the main drain but can see it is open. Opening the other 3 valves one at a time or with all 3 open together maybe a few drops but no volume. Considering going into the back 40 acres and opening the end valve and the grey and snaking a long piece of pex in and trying to get an opening in the pipe Haven't used the RV in 6-7 months and trying to remember how to use the forum is as hard as all the wrinkles on the RV
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:17 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm thinking your twist-on valve is bad, is still closed but the handle and rod are out like it would be if the valve was really open.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I agree with rohrmann. I find it hard to believe that all 3 drain valves failed at the same time. Remove the gate valve and try again. I have a gate valve as well. Mine is clear so I can see water flow.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #6
TheEaglesNest
Established Member

M.O.C. #32186
As a registered RV Tech and certified in Black and Gray tank cleaning, I offer my thoughts. Thinking about your tank issues with the information you provided could be several items. As previously stated, the gate valves are not opening or not opening fully to allow liquid flow if there is any. Were the tanks emptied prior to placing the RV in storage? Has the RV ever had the tanks cleaned? The sediment in the tanks settled at the bottom of the tank clogging the 3" black and 1 1/2" gray water tank(s). Recommend contacting a local RV technician that is specialized in tank cleaning to evaluate your tank issues. You can find a certified/registered tech at https://rvtaa.org/locate/. There are several located throughout your state. Note: for tank cleaning, the RV needs to be connected to sewer, water and power. Good luck
TheEaglesNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:41 AM   #7
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
2014 Montana HC 305 Never a problem draining any tanks before,bought new. Do have the trickle-stopper valve on the end of the main drain but can see it is open. Opening the other 3 valves one at a time or with all 3 open together maybe a few drops but no volume. Considering going into the back 40 acres and opening the end valve and the grey and snaking a long piece of pex in and trying to get an opening in the pipe Haven't used the RV in 6-7 months and trying to remember how to use the forum is as hard as all the wrinkles on the RV
Okay I'll go for the elephant in the room. If the fifth wheel wasn't used in the past 6-7 months, could all 3 tanks have been emptied after your last outing?
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 07:13 AM   #8
TheEaglesNest
Established Member

M.O.C. #32186
Yes, it is recommended that all tanks be emptied when putting your RV into storage. If you think your tanks are clean, I have found there is still lots of stuff still in the tanks. I would recommend having your tanks cleaned by an RV tank cleaning special before putting your RV into storage for long periods of time - annual maintenance. It is worth the money to maintain your investment.
TheEaglesNest is offline   Reply With Quote