Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Avoid Connecticut?

Any seasoned New England travelers here?

If you were going to the Maine coast from the Pittsburgh area, would you go through Connecticut to Massachusetts (Hartford, Worcester, Boston area northwards), or would you avoid Connecticut altogether and take the Mass. Turnpike, or some other way?

I have heard the roads through the Hartford area are awful, traffic-wise.

patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Our annual northern route has us on I81 to Scranton, I84 East through Connecticut to I90, then I495 around Boston.

Of course, this is the first time we'll have done it towing a trailer! Maybe someone with towing experience can suggest a better route.

I'd suggest avoiding rush hour through or past any significant city.

And Pat, if you are going to the Maine coast another day's drive would get you to our B&B! We are on the New Brunswick East coast where the water is 30F warmer than in Maine!
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Sunflowers

Our annual northern route has us on I81 to Scranton, I84 East through Connecticut to I90, then I495 around Boston.

Of course, this is the first time we'll have done it towing a trailer! Maybe someone with towing experience can suggest a better route.

I'd suggest avoiding rush hour through or past any significant city.

And Pat, if you are going to the Maine coast another day's drive would get you to our B&B! We are on the New Brunswick East coast where the water is 30F warmer than in Maine!
Use the same route with our Montana, and the TT before it. Other than the mountain you have to climb on I84 eastbound as you enter NY, this route seems to be about as good as you can find towing a fifth wheel...in my opinion.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I can attest that driving through Boston and I didn't like it even for an automobile. I wouldn't do it with my trailer. The other cities you mention didn't bother me too much.

I've been around there in Spring, Summer and Winter. I really want to be in New England in the Fall!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I live in Connecicut. Avoid I-95 from New York Border to just past New Haven during the rush hour (3:00-6:45 pm). Friday during the summer avoid I-95 anywhere in the late afternoon to past rush hour.Most traffic appears to be heading toward Rhode Island and the beaches. Avoid any road going into Hartfor during rush hour (I-91 and I-84). Lots of traffic and the roads can not handle the load. If you can avoid the rush hour traffic you shouldn't have any problems.Good Luck....
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hi Pat,
We have traveled I-84 to it's end in Sturbridge, MA. At that point we are only about 15 miles from my brother's house up Rt-49, the Podunk Pike, as locals call it. We have taken this route 4 or 5 times in the last 3 years. Once or twice with a 3400RL, and the rest in the SOB pulling a TOAD.

To us, it's all in the ride, so recently we have been taking I-78, picking up PA-33 to US-209, on up through the Deleware Water Gap. Nice scenery. Pick up I-84 off of US-209. I did not O take that route with the 3400Rl, but the SOB is 40 feet pulling a Saturn Vue and we had no problems. One slight detour for road repair last year on US-209 that narrowed down, but I still fit between the lines and I'm 8' 6" wide according to specs.

We are in Gettysburg right now and will be departing for that route on Friday. Only variation will be using US-15N, going around Harrisburg, and hitting I-78E.

Happy trails.

Edited: I have been through Hartford during rush hour, and during non-rush hour. Having driven in other areas, including around DC beltways, I found Hartford to not be any different than any other city.

p.p.s., If you parked that Montana in the spot in the picture on your signature, you will not have any difficulty on any roads you take.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Pat,
If it were me...others input has been spot on, as "time of day" matters;

Pa -> I80 East
Pa -> I81 North to Scranton
Pa -> I84 East...through NY *Back up passing I684 dependent on time of day, into Ct *Back up going into Ct dependent on time of day
Ct -> I691 East
Ct -> I91 North *Merge back to I84 does back up dependent on time of day
Ct -> I84 East
Ma -> I90 East
Ma -> I495 North
Ma -> I95
NH -> I95 *Back up dependent on time of day
Me -> I95...how far??
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Last fall we traveled I95 to I495 to I90 and then I84 on our way west. I wouldn't do it again. I495 and I90 were a mess. I90 was all washboardy and I495 had cliffs going on and off all bridges. Actually I90 pretty much sucks all the way to South Dakota.

Try going north on I91 from Hartford all the way to Brattleboro VT. Then take state route 9 over to concord NH (not sure of the route but very straight forward) and then on to I95 right at the Maine border. You'll avoid: Massachusetts toll roads, yuppie bumper cars at rush hour, and the bridge speed bumps. Plus, an added bonus, you'll be traveling through some nice NH hill country.

It will take you longer but you'll arrive with your rig in one piece and a smile on your face.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Forgot to mention, the approach to Hartford from the west on I84 is tricky when it comes to knowing what lane to be in. There are lots of 'exit only' lanes that sneak up on you and it's best to do this stretch very carefully or you could find yourself towing in city traffic in a heart beat. I'd fly it first with Google Earth to get familiar with the approach.

I think that's a bigger issue than the traffic. Just go slow and let the beamers fly around you.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
We have taken I-287 to I-87 to I-90 to avoid CT all together -

It adds some additional tolls, some additional miles (approx 40) - but in the end, the added mileage and additional $$ are well worth, avoiding the aggravation of taking I-84 thru CT.

As far as I-495 in MA - its is a heaviliy traveled road (By-Pass Route around Boston), traffic moves steadily except during Rush Hour (7a-9a) and (4p-6p) and other than driving slow over the bridges thru Larence & Haverhill - I-495 is not that bad of a road.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Ray - Thanks for the tip on taking I-87 to I-90. I always hated driving I-84 through CT.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Thank you all for your suggestions and observations! I may have a problem the way I planned my stops on this trip, so I'm still not sure of the time of day I'll hit the Constitution State. I'll let you know how it works out. There's a reservoir in Massachusetts I'd like to visit, and may take the Mass Pike route anyway because of that.

P.S. Wayne, thanks for noticing! It took about a half hour of driving my travel buddy crazy, but I finally did it; I have more stubborn in me per pound than most folks. I won't say how little space there was between my slides and the fence on either side of the trailer (that would be bragging) but my dainty little fists just fit in the gaps. Felt so good I could-a slapped my Granny...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have used I 84 to Mass Pike to 290 to 495 to 95 for years, sometimes six or eight times per year, not always hauling but at least twice a year. Those bridges at the north end of 495 are brutal. Although I haven't driven it in a long while I am going to try I 95/128 to Mass Pike to 84 this fall. My mapping program tells me it is actually 3 mi
shorter than 290 to 495.

If you take that route to Brattleboro you will see a lot of beautiful country but it will take a lot longer.

If you want local Maine info let me know.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote