Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Montana_3048

M.O.C. #3048
3650RK

We purchased our Montana 3650RK at Suncoast RV in Brunswick, GA while we were down from NH for two months staying at Jekyll Island CG (great place). The dealer in Brunswick, GA repaired a couple of the immediate major problems but was unable to do all of them. And, the list of bad workmanship & lack of attention to double check the unit before it was sent out is lengthy.

The converter was no good; the microwave was no good; the slide outs did not go all the way out. I could put my fist between the slide out & the wall. These were just the immediate major problems. The list of minor but necessary repairs are the length of your arm.

We have been camping for 37 years, this is our 13th RV & it is, by far, the worst preped & double checked unit we have purchased. Our disappointment in the Montana product is great as we have heard & read so much about the highly esteemed quality of Keystone.

We wish, at this point anyways, that we had stayed with a Jayco unit, which was what we owned at the time of the Montana purchase, as it was hands down a better product than our 3650RK.

I'm not saying that Keystone won't fix the myriad of problems we have it's that I am very disappointed that the legendary attention to detail that Keystone is alledegly know for is totally lacking in our 5ver.

Montana_3048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Brad and Cathy. Sorry to hear of the many problems. That certainly can be a downer. Hopefully the dealer will get you fixed up and that will be the end of any big problems. Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about all the problems. We just purchased our 2955RL last month. So far we have had no problems other than the bedroom tv did not fit properly. The dealer gave a different one and it fit perfect. Gosh sure hope things work out for you. There is alot of help here on this forum. I know I would not of accepted the unit. I would of told them when all was fixed to call me. Maybe a call to Keystone would help help, maybe they should be aware of what is going on. Good Luck and keep us posted.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 AM   #4
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Just some food for thought, I have a 3650 RK, have had no major problems. This is my second Keystone RV, the first was a Cougar, again, no problems. Before that, I had a Jayco, wow, problems left and right with leaking. I guess my point is no matter what RV you get, you might get a bad one here or there. dosent necessarly mean they are bad. Just like cars too. Good luck with yours, hopefully, you can get everything straightened out.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As I have mentioned many times before on these forums Quality control in the Rv industry Sucks. I did send a(I think nice" E mail) to keystone on the subject.As I spent many years in Organizational development I know that there is no excuse for poor quality control and is usually a result of, poor working conditions, low pay. Managements disregard of Employee concerns to name a few.... If you get a chance tour the Montana Factory and ask the tour person where the quality control check points are.. The pre delivery checklist..Don't leave home without it....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually both times we toured the factory they did show us some units that had finished the assembly line that had long pieces of tape indicating where re-work is required. So there is some quality control, just not enough.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
If the unit had that many problems I would have passed it up before purchasing it.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We toured the Montana Factory last July..We were greatly impressed with many things.We had toured several other factories and this was the best one.However I sort of have an "eye" for organizational issues in the workplace.I guess I see things the average person would not. a employee must have a "Stake: in the organization.He must feel that he is treated with dignity and respect..he must feel that he is part of a team working towards a comman goal.A employee that feels that he is being treated fairly will want to do their best..poor workmanship in a product is in a large part a direct result of employee dissatisfaction. I spent a lot of time at that last station before the unit went out the door..That a unit got that far with problems indicates the lack of quality control. Good QC is practiced at Every step of the building process..
As I relayed to keystone..You could probably add 100.00 to the cost of a unit and spend it on improving quality control issues and increase your sales..quality control pays off.....OOPPs..I am retired...sorry....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
Montana_3048

M.O.C. #3048
AN UPDATE

We are now back in NH & currently, the unit is being serviced from stem to stern by CAMPERS INN in Kingston, NH. I had emailed my list of problems to Keystone, they got back to me immediately & promised to square things away to make me a happy customer. They notified CAMPERS INN that I was coming in & they had a slot set for me to bring the 5ver down to them 1 day after 5 got back home.

So far, things are going very well & I am pleased with the respnse of both Keystone 7 CAMPERS INN.

Thanx for the replies.
Montana_3048 is offline   Reply With Quote