Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Front Cap issues continues

Well for all that have followed and the ones that have not in regards to my past posts with the issues we have with our front cap on our 2011 it only continues.
1. December found 2 obvious prior poor repairs and a flat spot/indentation in front cap.
2. Called Keystone and asked if could bring to factory.
3. Told no to factory, would have to take to dealer.
4. Took to dealer 150 miles away.
5. Dealer said would need new cap and would have to go back to Keystone.
6. Dealer never followed through or contacted Keystone.
7. Called Keystone and they immediately got on it.
8. Keystone got us connected with another dealer and body shop closer to home to take it for estimate.
9. Body shop said could not be repaired, needs knew cap.
10. Keystone orders new front cap.
11. Mfg of cap looks at pictures and says it does not need new cap and they can repair it.
12. Ask how they intend to repair, answer body filler, me not happy.
13. Keystone assures me it will look like new and need to give the mfg. of the cap the chance to make it right, ok understand.
14. OK Here We GO.
Keystone arranges with the new dealer closer to us for a open bay in thier garage for the caps mfg. mobile repair tech to do the work on 6/29/11 at 9:30am. The day before the work is to be done mobile repair tech calls to verify time of 9:30am on the 29th. We arrive at dealer at 9:00 and call the mobile repair tech to see how he is on time and that we are here. Mobile repair tech said he did not know it was a 6 hour drive and would be 3 hours late for appointment. We hang out killing another 3 hours waiting and at 12:30 Mfg. mobile repair tech arrives. What would you be looking for a mobile repair tech to be driving,a service truck, maybe a van, no a small RED BMW ! Now he has just driven 6 hours to do this repair and within 5 minutes has looked at it and says that it can not be repaired and will need a new cap. Gee it seems we are back to the same conclusion I said and everyone else they have sent me to since December. Hauled trailer back home and now waiting again for what and where they want to do and where we need to haul it next. End of story.

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Totaly unacceptable in my book. Sorry for your pain sir. Its frustrating to have paid the kind of money we do for these things and then have to fight to get them right!!

Keep us posted please. There are a lot of potential buyers lurking here daily. Wonder what they are thinking?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Just got a call from Keystone that the mobile tech guy reported I told him we had it repaired while in Florida ! When what I said was we had it less than 60 days and while in Florida up on a ladder washing and waxing we discovered it had been repaired. Can't believe they would think I had it repaired out of pocket on a unit 60 days old and the decal replaced to only cover half the repair. I think the cap mfg just does not want to deal with a new cap.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just a thought, not so good after the fact, but, I think I might record any future conversations, especially those done in person, like with this repair dude who cannot read a map!

Tell them you are recording it, believe that is required by law, but, if not, tell them anyway. And, if they should object, I would be very very suspicious.

Right now, with this non-map reading dunce (sorry, "I didn't realize how far it was" is totally unacceptable) it is your word against his. Unless you are lucky enough that someone from that dealership happened to hear the conversation.

Twisting what was said is also NOT acceptable. Get the story right dude!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jliveit

Well for all that have followed and the ones that have not in regards to my past posts with the issues we have with our front cap on our 2011 it only continues.
1. December found 2 obvious prior poor repairs and a flat spot/indentation in front cap.
2. Called Keystone and asked if could bring to factory.
3. Told no to factory, would have to take to dealer.
4. Took to dealer 150 miles away.
5. Dealer said would need new cap and would have to go back to Keystone.
6. Dealer never followed through or contacted Keystone.
7. Called Keystone and they immediately got on it.
8. Keystone got us connected with another dealer and body shop closer to home to take it for estimate.
9. Body shop said could not be repaired, needs knew cap.
10. Keystone orders new front cap.
11. Mfg of cap looks at pictures and says it does not need new cap and they can repair it.
12. Ask how they intend to repair, answer body filler, me not happy.
13. Keystone assures me it will look like new and need to give the mfg. of the cap the chance to make it right, ok understand.
14. OK Here We GO.
Keystone arranges with the new dealer closer to us for a open bay in thier garage for the caps mfg. mobile repair tech to do the work on 6/29/11 at 9:30am. The day before the work is to be done mobile repair tech calls to verify time of 9:30am on the 29th. We arrive at dealer at 9:00 and call the mobile repair tech to see how he is on time and that we are here. Mobile repair tech said he did not know it was a 6 hour drive and would be 3 hours late for appointment. We hang out killing another 3 hours waiting and at 12:30 Mfg. mobile repair tech arrives. What would you be looking for a mobile repair tech to be driving,a service truck, maybe a van, no a small RED BMW ! Now he has just driven 6 hours to do this repair and within 5 minutes has looked at it and says that it can not be repaired and will need a new cap. Gee it seems we are back to the same conclusion I said and everyone else they have sent me to since December. Hauled trailer back home and now waiting again for what and where they want to do and where we need to haul it next. End of story.
I was told several times when I was in business that, "Good Guys Finish Last". Well we practiced taking the high road even when we didn't think it was our fault. Succeded beyond our wildest dreams. Same guys still struggling. Keystone would do well to take the high road, cheapest advertising money can't buy. Maybe they will catch on.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
It is unfortunate there is no such thing as customer service anymore. This applies to all business. There are a few acceptions and I applaude those who still believe in the "old belief of honesty and pride of doing the right thing."
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
I think now he may have go the idea from when I told him Keystone had me take it to a body shop for estimate. Or you know how it goes when one person tells another and another and by the time it gets to the last person its nothing like original said.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
What a mess! Hope Keystone steps up and gives you a new cap.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Keystone has stepped up to a new cap ! Got another call today that the mfg. of my cap is not Keystones supplier now that they are using another supplier and the mfg. that made mine offered $500 and decals for me to keep my defective cap or Keystone would put a new cap from new supplier on. Did not have to think very long. Let me say Keystone has been very helpful through all of this.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jliveit,
Glad to hear it! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Glad to hear Keystone is doing the right thing! Incompetence is an epidemic these days...sometimes it seems like we deal with it daily to some degree.
Persistence usually does pay off...good job!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
What a mess!!!! I am glad to hear you will be waking up from this nightmare soon.

Jack
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
have been a "lurker" here for some time,from what i can get out of the posts it seems to me that keystone is taking the heat and getting bad raps for something that is not entirely their fault or at least out of their control

other than the first call where they said to take it to the dealer as far as they knew it had been resolved as they were out of the loop by the dealer not getting in touch with them

but now at least they seem to have stepped up and are trying to resolve the situation,maybe not as fast as one would like but everything seems like it has been done in the proper steps

it seems like they are in contact with you and trying to get things done but you were already p---ed off at them (as i would be) when the first dealer was the bad guy here

if he had done his part this would all be over and hopefully every one would be happy

not trying to start anything but like i said this is just my opinion for what its worth

i guess what it boils down to is service is only as good as your dealer makes it,as places like keystone rely on them to get things done before they escalate to this point

cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Well said cotter key. Each time I have had an issue with a repair or warranty item, it has always been with the servicing dealer. On the few occasions (no more than 5 with this and our previous TT) I have e-mailed or called Keystone directly, my issue was resolved and relatively quickly too.

I have noticed that I only seem to have problems if I have had a warranty item that the factory needs to get involved in. If it is something I am paying for, then the work gets done and the dealer is happy to take my money rather quickly.

I recall at one of our rallies a Keystone factory rep telling us how the process works, or is suppose to, and if it did, things would run smoothly. I believe the majority of the time the dealers are just giving us lip service and telling us what they think we want to hear. Don't get me wrong, there are dealers out there that still do really care about customer service and satisfaction, but their numbers are shrinking and they are getting harder and harder to find. If you do find one, stick with them and let the rest of the members of this forum know who they are and where they're located by posting in the "Dealer Ratings" thread on the "Repairs & Service" board. If you find a bad one, put that out there too.

This entire post is, as always, JMHO.
Jack
Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Ok after the then cap mfg saw the cap they offered me $500 to keep it or Keystone offered a new cap. I took the new cap, they ordered it and shipped to dealer. Dealer scheduled appointment to replace the cap for July 3rd. Called today and said new cap was on but did not have all the decals to replace and one of the ones they did have had a bad krinkle so would have to order a new one. Also said they did not send new trim strip for front cap but had put the old one back on and did not look to bad but would have to order new trim strip??

So hopefully before it is 12 months old I just might have my new Montanna that I paid for and trying to get fixed all this time. Offered me the use of my camper until the parts come in but I said just keep it until it is done, as I'm tired of hauling it everywhere that I have had to for the past 9 months just to get it this far.