Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
busterwms
Established Member

M.O.C. #6931
Norcold refrig says Ll oP

Well, we had our frig loaded and ready to head out tomorrow when the Norcold Two Door Model 1210 came up with a "Ll" "oP" message. Which means the high temperature limit switch is open. The book says this is not owner serviceable, see a dealer or authorized Norcold Service Center. Anybody had this problem? What happened next? Are we going to miss our trip to the FL Keys? Rats

busterwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
try switching over to electric if you can plug in somewhere to cool down. There were some re-calls on this type of issue on these units. It is mainly a LP issue.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
We cad a sob the the Norcold was part of a recall. The added the limit switch and sometime later got the same error as you. The had to order the part and we were on the road, so they have me bypass the limit switch, which allowed the 12 volt system to work. It worked but they told me to get it fixed right away. The recall was because of an increased risk of fire.

Hope that helps
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I remember reading here the newer limit switches are resettable. You use a big magnet to reset the black box. The upper right corner comes to mind but don't bet on it. A Search here for LiOp might find the directions. Either that or Google it. The information is out there somewhere.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Try removing one of the 12 volt leads, wait a few seconds and reattach. That worked for me on my old motor home
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
If you decide to bypass the high temp limit protection and run the fridge on 110AC, DO NOT set it in the automatic or LP position - set it on AC only until you get it fixed. If you don't, you run a significant risk of fire!

Bypassing is relatively easy, but get it fixed ASAP. I think that Norcold will cover the cost under their recall - check with your tech first and he will know for sure.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
busterwms
Established Member

M.O.C. #6931
OK!!! Took Carl n Susan's advise and looked around for the answer as they suggested. Could not find it on our blog but found the answer, I hope, on Heartland's Blog - http://www.heartlandowners.org/showt...Code-Quick-Fix - same problem as I had. Held a strong magnet on the board just below the red light (while the frig was on) and "click", the red light went off. So far the "Li oP" message has not come back on.
Thanks for your help! It's off to the Keys tomorrow! You guys are the greatest!
busterwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Vodde had a similar thing happen while we were in Fla. He had a mobile tech come out and reprogram it. After that everything was "cool". Pun intended.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

I remember reading here the newer limit switches are resettable. You use a big magnet to reset the black box. The upper right corner comes to mind but don't bet on it. A Search here for LiOp might find the directions. Either that or Google it. The information is out there somewhere.
They are as you describe. My RV guy showed me how. Strangest thing I ever saw!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
ohiomoen
Established Member

M.O.C. #18457
Our Norcold 1210 worked fine at home. When we got to the campsite, the L1 oP code popped up. Of course, we were in a state park with no internet. Reservations for four days camping along side a beautiful lake, so didn't feel like going home. We bought 3 22 lb bags of ice, and used most of it in the freezer and refrig. Got home today and checked the users forum and found the link to the same problem on the Heartland forum. Held my "pickup tool" magnet just underneath the red light for around 30 seconds, then heard a slight snap from the black box directly below the limit switch box. Refer is back on! Thanks to the forum for providing valuable information!
2 x Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
ohiomoen is offline   Reply With Quote