Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite

Not to drive business away from Lippert but, does it really bother you that much if the 5ver moves a little?
The reduced (not eliminated) movement is a secondary benefit. The ease of setup is the primary reward from a Level Up system. Looking at a site and guessing how many boards or blocks are required to get the rig level side to side; down on your knees wrestling with the front drop legs; dealing with pin box stabilizers, JT stabalizers, etc.; waiting for the exorbitantly slow electric motors; blown fuses in the landing legs; stripped gears if you over extend/retract the front legs; are all activities/issues that disappear with the Level Ups.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #22
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Carl had a point, but I'll continue to deviate a bit from the OP. I'll propose another point of view as it might depend on your age and how "automated" you were in the years leading up to that next BDay. I won't deny the level up would be handy and provide a firmer footing ... it just isn't @$5000 worth of handy to me. I sometimes smile reading about "how it takes too long to set up" because I look at the RV lifestyle as having little time restriction. It takes what it takes. I'm a bit younger than some and still bend pretty well ... stacking a few blocks of wood and turning the T's on my JT Stabilizers just doesn't seem like something to dread ... it's just part of getting there. 5K buys a lot of gas to water ski with ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #23
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
#1 According to my most recent build/options sheet (Dec.7/2013) the 6 point level up is now a $3475. option. It must be worthwhile as I have been unable to find an unsatisfied posting.

#2 From reading the great postings on this thread it appears perhaps half the people use wood/plastic blocks of some kind so I guess we can flip a coin. I have an additional question about blocking under the tires on one side to level. When I set up the first thing to do is level from street side to curb side. This entails rolling the rig up with boards on one side quite often. Do those with level up continue to do this or will the level up correct for say 4" of height difference from side to side without using wood planks at all???

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #24
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I don't use any blocks under my wheels any more. The level-up takes care of it so far. But if your rig is 4 or 5 or more inches off side to side it wouldn't hurt to throw down some blocks under the wheels and then add a couple under the level-up legs also. That is a lot of space to make up for other wise.

The last time I set up a good friend of mine, who is also an RV'er, was with us. He was dying to see how the level-up worked. I hit the Auto-Level button and he watched intently. 2 minutes later after it finished I looked at him and ask "Well, what do you think?" He looked straight at me and said "I Hate You!" He then turned and walked away. Hate to admit it but I had the biggest smile on my face.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #25
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

The last time I set up a good friend of mine, who is also an RV'er, was with us. He was dying to see how the level-up worked. I hit the Auto-Level button and he watched intently. 2 minutes later after it finished I looked at him and ask "Well, what do you think?" He looked straight at me and said "I Hate You!" He then turned and walked away. Hate to admit it but I had the biggest smile on my face.
Absolutely Priceless I am sure!!! Now that you mention it I have a bud that I will have to try that on, he usually get's the last quip, we shall see!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Dieselguy,

I agree with your comments. I however, am not as young as I used to be (and you may be) and after returning from our last trip I found out I have and aggravated an apparently herniated disc to where it took me down hard for almost 6 weeks. The ensuing sciatica and inability to move, sleep, stand, or crawl around and under the 5er kinda scared me and made me worry that our trips in the 5er fishing, sightseeing, and visiting might be coming to an end. $5k is about right for a retrofit and install; however I found you can reduce that by about 20% if you get them to install at an RV show and also get say a military discount. Granted, even at a paltry $4K that is a lotta gas for water skiing; but if getting there is too hard then that becomes the trade. Unfortunately for me I don't think water skiing 26 miles thru parts of the Panama Canal as I did as a kid is an option with the disc they way it is. Glad to hear some are still able to do that. Take advantage of the good health, it can slip away quickly and you may need to consider a trade as I have. Carl has pretty much laid out the advantages; I am just waiting for the shoe to drop and find out the downsides. As an engineer I know that nothing comes for free and someone someday is gonna inform us of the large maintenance bill to replace pistons due to sand/grit getting in them and trashing the seals; or maybe a tire is gonna take out a pad; or.......But as we all know who RV, there is a cost to everything and we make the trades to suit ourselves.
RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #27
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I do not level side to side. I have been parked where the tires on one side of the unit were both off the ground.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #28
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We sold our last rig because my multiple back and neck surgeries have severely limited my range of motion. The level up system is a life saver for me. I keep it serviced and depend on it completely. Value to me is priceless. I have had three legs replaced, under warranty, because of cracks, as I have reported before. That said the system is impressive to watch and easy to learn.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #29
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Carl had a point, but I'll continue to deviate a bit from the OP. I'll propose another point of view as it might depend on your age and how "automated" you were in the years leading up to that next BDay. I won't deny the level up would be handy and provide a firmer footing ... it just isn't @$5000 worth of handy to me. I sometimes smile reading about "how it takes too long to set up" because I look at the RV lifestyle as having little time restriction.
I don't totally disagree, but I have set up at some sites that has taken me 45 minutes of setting up to actually get things level for my slides. Being full time and traveling, saving time setting up will add up over time. Even though I am retired my time is still worth something and I would rather spend it doing something else. I for one think the level up is worth the cost if you use it often enough.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #30
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
When your lot is so I level as to not allow legs to reach level. When water might rise around shafts. These are the most important times.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
being older had a lot to do with it. The 6 point was a must on the new Big Sky as we are growing old a feeble.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #32
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I'm with richfaa. I messed up my back hand cranking the jacks on our horse trailer. Auto level is a must with a fiver.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The selling points on the 13 Big sky were "old and lazy" things. The 6 point level up system push a button and watch. The auto awning. Push another button and watch. We got tired of yanking the awning up and down. If only they could invent something that could get those now very heavy propane tanks into the compartments we would be very happy campers.
Of course the G614 tires were a peace of mind item. IMO the full body paint was a bad idea but we will deal with it.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #34
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Richfaa,

The invention you seek is available. Use smaller and lighter tanks. Just kidding!

What is your displeasure in a full body paint? Your Big Sky still looks really nice in the year 2025 (per the picture).
RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #35
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just to qualify my previous reply ... I'm not knocking getting old or people that have had a rougher time getting there than others. I'm 60 ... my time is coming whether it be easy or hard. There are several silent subscribers to the MOC that are not full timers nor ones that would experience the greatest benefit from some of the "bells and whistles" on new fivers. Some options are too pricey to have "just because" if say you're new to owning an RV. I as always just want to offer another point of view to keep the playing field even on the posts I participate in.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #36
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If the location you are parked at is too far out of level, the system will tell you. We tried setting up at a site like that, and the left rear pad was about three inches off the ground when the system shut down. Had to lift the jacks and add blocks to enable the system to finally level the rig. And the really big benefit of the system, even though their lawyers will tell you not to do this, is the ability to lift the rig to change a tire. Until we put on better tires, this was a regular need.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RidgecrestDad

Richfaa,

The invention you seek is available. Use smaller and lighter tanks. Just kidding!

What is your displeasure in a full body paint? Your Big Sky still looks really nice in the year 2025 (per the picture).
The Big Sky is about a week old in that picture. The body paint is pretty BUT on MY 2013 3402 Big sky the paint chips easily on the front overhang. In fact it chips easily everywhere. Under that paint is the original white gel coat and it looks ugly when chipped.
If we keep this thing it is going to cost us to protect the front against chips.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #38
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Rich, I've never owned a Big Sky, but I did own 2 motor homes with full body paint. I agree, nice to look at, but a bear to maintain. Expensive to have minor scratch repaired
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 AM   #39
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
We are fairly new to RVing. Our very first TT had a 4-point Level-up system, so we were spoiled right off the bat. When we started looking for a fifth-wheel, hubby told me we weren't even looking at anything that didn't have auto-level. I really like the rare occasions when we set up in the rain. Just hit the button and step under the front of the trailer. I stay dry and the trailer levels itself.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #40
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'd be careful about standing under the overhang when operating the level up. That's just me talking you understand...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

We are fairly new to RVing. Our very first TT had a 4-point Level-up system, so we were spoiled right off the bat. When we started looking for a fifth-wheel, hubby told me we weren't even looking at anything that didn't have auto-level. I really like the rare occasions when we set up in the rain. Just hit the button and step under the front of the trailer. I stay dry and the trailer levels itself.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote