Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Help, Help

Was doing the dishes and had a good stream of hot water then all of a sudden very small amount of water coming out.. Still have a good stream of cold water.. What do you all think could have happened????

Also no Hot water in bathroom..

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I think the check valve has malfunctioned. Common problem. You might have heard a small clunk when it happened. If you have a single faucet fixture in the kitchen you might try turning the water on to cold and then slowly moving toward hot. In addition, sometimes it gets better over time. I used mine that way for over six months before I fixed it. good luck
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, Dave is right.

See slideshow:
http://tinyurl.com/Ozzcheck

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Yep that is what it was and now have Hot water after a temporary fix. Thanks to CmdrDewey for the fast response, Thank you OZZ for the link the slide show helped a lot.. Thank you H John Kohl for all the help, You guys are great.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good call CmdrDewey! I'll file that fix in my memory bank. I never would have thought of that.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Had it happen to me and I took the valve out and it's still out.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
komokoa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10191
What's the purpose of this valve?

Thanks Ken
komokoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
From ole Ron Hazelton the RV Doctor:
A: Albert, I don't have a diagram for you, but it is easily understood logic. At the back of the water heater, you'll find a cold water inlet and a hot water outlet. Obviously, you'll connect the existing cold water line to the cold inlet. This is the point where you'll also want to install a one-way check valve directly to the cold water inlet with the directional arrow pointing into the tank. This will prevent heated water from migrating out of the water heater and feeding back into the cold system. This usually isn't an issue unless the cold water line tees off to another fixture very close to the back of the water heater.
I have seen where the cold connection to the toilet was tee'd very close to the inlet of the water heater and every time the owner flushed the toilet, steam would rise out of the toilet bowl. Installing a check valve at the water heater inlet curtailed that immediately. Most RV manufacturers now do this at the factory. From the hot water outlet on the water heater, simply route the water line to every faucet with a hot water valve. Typically you'll end up with three fresh water check valves: one at the cold inlet to the water heater, one at the city water inlet and one located at the outlet of the water pump. When on city water, you'll want to keep water from entering the pump and when operating the water pump, you want to keep the water from spewing out the city water inlet.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
komokoa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10191
Thanks, Ozz

Cheers Ken
komokoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
As usual Ozz, you're a font of information. Thanks!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I'm not sure I'm reading OZZ's (Ron Hazelton), response correctly, but, I have a hot water backflow valve on the hot water out side of the heater to keep debris from floating back into the heater. I had to replace this valve as it malfunctioned and closed up thus, not allowing any hot water from exiting the heater. I carry a spare now....I think this may be the same valve as CmdrDewey is talking about????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
yepper
Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think ole Ron had too much egg nog when he wrote that article. The check valve is on the hot outlet. If you have to winterize replace it with a good one; if not, I think you can chunk it.

I have always wanted to check the pressure on the Mountaineer city water plumbing when the water heater T&P valve is weeping. I know when you open the faucet, there is a pressure burst. The RV system is a closed system (due to city water inlet check valve), and I believe all the water lines are at the pressure the P&T valve relieves at. A check valve on the cold inlet might be a good idea. Of course, the hot side plumbing will still see the increased pressure. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the check valve at the outlet of the heater serves to help when winterizing,(as you so wisely have noted in the past) it would depend on the routing of the supply lines as to where the check valve is located, Montana's and Mountaineers may be piped differently than his example, as you stated, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one at the inlet, keep the hot water where it belongs, and the cold water where it belongs... every one behave in the water system please....
I know it is a 'squeeze point' and often fails, but that's show biz' it seems to work well most of the time.
I am still in the camp where I think you shaould have them. BUT, I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn last night..