Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

We had a blow out this summer and ruined a fender. We are considering getting a tire pressure monitoring system. Does anybody have this and is it worth it? We want to be able to stop in time before doing damage to the rig.

Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we have one..The system can not warn of a blow out. It will warn of a gradual loss of presure that can result in what apears to be a blow out. Wehae the pressure pro system...there are others on the market.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There have been posts from others that the TPMS alarm will sound in the event of air pressure loss after a blowout, but Richfaa is correct that it cannot warn that a blowout MAY occur. In other words, when the TPMS says you have a problem, there are no doubts, just pull over or you may cause MORE damage!

There are now several makes and models of systems that with the competition is causing the prices to drop, but check the product information for the features list. There are several features to think about to ensure you get what are looking for. For example, digital numbers, multiple displays per tire, gradual versus drastic air pressure loss, cyclic displays per tire, audible alarms, number of sensors supported, etc.

I don't have one, but it is on my list as soon as I fix my load/weight problem. In the meantime, I use the old fashion method of frequent stops, frequent walkarounds, and constant vigilance of the side view mirrors. However, I had a blowout once when I was on a downhill, on a turn, thought I had a blowout, but I couldn't see the angle to confirm it. A TPMS will tell me immediately that I have a problem, and exactly which tire - end of story, just pull over, no wasting time thinking if there's a problem or not!

Definitely nice to have.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I have the PressurePro System and will have nothing else.
This system is fantastic and the customer service is unbelievable.
If you do decide on this system use this website,you won't be sorry.
I forgot to mention,the PressurePro is made in USA,which as far as I'm concern means a lot.Jack
http://pressureprosystem.com/
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The last couple of tire problems that we've had were tread separation issues. As far as I know there is no system currently on the market that would have warned me of the impending danger.

If I were going to install a system on my set up I would get one with a heat sensor as well as a pressure sensor.

Good luck with finding and installing a system you like.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
Ihave tire pressure monitors which alerted me to a slow leak...saved the big sky rv. since i have replaced the mission tires with g rated tires....since might have a blow out but i hope to be protected with the better tires...
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Ruth we also run the Pressure Pro System and have for several years. We are on our second set, sold the first set with Truck and 5th wheel. Ordered another set and still using them. I can also suggest and highly recomend you talk will Pat and Mike McFall they are full time RVer's and do this as a side job. They can and will answer all your questions. They are very professional and HONEST. Take a look at their web site. www.PressureProSystems.com I want pull a 5th wheel without the system, as a matter of fact I switch them to my other car trailer and Gooseneck equipment trailer. Good Luck.... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On our latest problem( Spring center pin broken) we had thread seperation on three tires and as Hamrad notes we did not get a low pressure alarm as the tires had not lost pressure..yet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Great point Rich! For a tire monitoring system treat it like the idiot light in your car. They work AFTER a failure occurs and you need to STOP! But at least you don't waste time trying to figure out if something happens and create more damage or weaken the other tires that are now carrying extra weight.

I had a situation that the tire separated and I was losing air. I didn't discover it until I made a planned stop and noticed the tire was low. Looking close I saw the tire separation and replaced the tire. With a TPMS I would have been notified sooner and replaced it sooner - I was lucky it didn't blowout.

Because I don't have a TPMS, we don't drive longer than 1.5 to 2 hours, but with a TPMS I would like to extend my range to 3 or more hours - for those of you who travel in the southwest, wide open deserts, you'll know why I'd like to stop less frequently.

Good luck on your TPMS selection - for me it's not a question of yes or no, it's when I can get one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I too have the pressure pro system.They do though now have a system(another brand)that not only monitors the pressure but also the temperature.And another nice feature is the user can replace the batteries.Not so with the pressure pro.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It seems that everyone has their own opinion concerning the TPMS and they should have. No one should be thinking that because someone else has the system that they should also. Though the TPMS will not alert you to possible tread separation or bulge in a tire, certainly a walk-around each time you stop to fill with fuel or at a convenient rest stop will. The TPMS will definitely alert you when you have picked up a nail or some other type of shrapnel because you will most certainly have a slow leak begin to show. Other unforeseen things can happen to a tire and the TPMS will not catch it, however when the TPMS, in catching a slow leak will prevent you from overheating a tire and probably ruin it, not to mention the damage to the rig you will see if it goes completely flat.

Is the TPMS worth the expense? For me, YES. You will never know the peace of mind that the system gives you. As a disclaimer, I am in no way connected to the company that makes and sells the system nor am I connected in any way to any distributor. I merely am voicing my opinion and you can take as that. By the way, peace of mind when you travel full time is priceless.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I for one never invested in a TPMS, maybe that's because I can never seem to go anywhere . I did just buy a P3 controller so maybe our future is looking up. Pressure Pro would be a top consideration for me, mainly because of the positive feedback I've read on this forum and Heartlands, ...Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Orv hit a good point: no system can replace walking around and looking at the tires! When we were going through Montana a couple years back, I discovered our axle was bent and had caused both rear tires to wear out the inside edges to the point the cords were showing. Another hundred miles or so and we would have been in big trouble. Nothing like changing two tires on black asphalt when the temps are 102 degrees! $750 later, we were on our way again.

I do have getting a TPMS on my list of things to do.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The Pressure Pro System will not warn you of a Blow out but you will know about it instead of driving until it completely shreads the tie. It may not prevent you form destroying the side panels or the wheel well area but again you will get a warning. And if its at night you will drag the 5er several miles before you know you have had a major tire failure. The late model Pressure Pro Systems does warn of overheating, don't know the settings but I believe they are set by the factory. Mike or Pat McFall will know the answer. I still say the Pressure Pro System is a good investment. This is our first pull with the Freightliner "AWESOME RIDE" and it was nice traveling at 60 mph to be able to push a button and know what each tire pressure is. I will be lowering the rear tire pressure down to 90 lbs prior to departing for Elkhart on Sunday. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
PatMcFall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7943
Good morning folks,

Delaine and Lindy, you are correct. The PressurePro does have a high pressure warning. It comes from the factory with the alert set at 24% but can be set by the customer to any level from 10% to 45%. If a tire heats up due to dragging brakes, bearing problems, etc., the pressure will rise in the tire and the PP will alert the driver to a problem.

I would like to respond to an earlier post and explain why PP does not have replaceable batteries. When PressurePro began development of the current generation of sensor, they worked within the DOT and SAE and both asked PP to provide sensors which were sealed. After discussions, it was agreed that this was the best avenue for several reasons. The original PP sensors would unscrew and allow the batteries to be changed. Three (3) new batteries were required each 12 to 18 months. Customers would screw the caps on too tight, cracking the plastics or not tighten the caps enough allowing contaminants to get into the sensor. After 3 to 4 years, these sensors had worn out the electronics and needed replacing anyway.

Last and most importantly, sealing the sensors gives the sensor one more level of weather “tightness” and is much more secure at preventing air loss should the first two levels fail. PressurePro sensors are a safety product and in order to be at the safest level, the sensor needed to be sealed. Sensors are averaging over 4 years of life and are providing up to 5.5 years of monitoring before the batteries fail.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Safe Travels,
PatMcFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
And now you know why Mike and Pat have such a great reputation as dealers for Pressure Pro. Thanks for the good explanation Pat. We are sure happy with ours.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote