Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
Montana_3602

M.O.C. #3602
Hopeful Owners

Hi Everyone!!

Our names are Danette & Fred McKee and live in Vancouver, Washington. We have been looking at 5th wheels for a couple of years now and have seen a lot of them at shows and on lots, but always go back to the Montana. We are looking to purchase our first 5th wheel in about 6 to 8 months and are getting very excited. We want to full-time after retirement and see the country, but that won't be for a few years yet. In the meantime we want to take shorter trips with it when we're on vacation. At first, we wanted to get the 3295 but I am so in love with the 3650, as it feels just like being at home. We also like the 3685, but Fred would like to have 2 recliners instead of one of the couches and we were told that they could'nt do that. From what I've been reading on the forums, the 3295 is extremely popular and have also read about a few of you owning the 3685. But I haven't read anything about the 3650 and have wondered why!! Is there a reason that this coach is not that popular. Do any of you own one? And if so, do you like it and how is it on livability and comfort? Anything you can tell us about it would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for all of your expert opinions.

"Soon To Be Monty Owners"

Danette & Fred

Montana_3602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hello and welcome to the MOC Forum. The choice of floorplan is so very individual. Our Montana is neither of the floor plans you mentioned and we are extremely happy with it. The quality seems to be fairly uniform across the floor plans, so make yourself happy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We have the 3575 no longer available & love it. You will have to decide what is important to you. Some like the rear kit. & some don't. Some like the door at rear of 5ver like the 2955. It is just a personal choice.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Danette and Fred, welcome to MOC! As Stiles and Gene said, floorplans are extremely individual. Apparently, since you considered both the 3295 and the 3650, you have a predilection for the rear kitchen. I liked the 3650 when we first started looking at Montanas but really did not care for the “bump out” on the sofa. I did feel that the bar was a wonderful touch and saw a Jayco Designer the other day that had the same basic design, so there must be some popularity for that look.

We love the space in our 3295 when the slides are extended as it is a wonderful living space. Still, you are very smart to be asking for input if you have any doubts. Once you have it, you can go back to the 3650 and consider those while again looking at the unit.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, Danette and Fred! You said "but always go back to the Montana." You don't know how many times we have seen prospective owners say those same words. And we said them once upon a time, as well! You probably already know Montana is the number one seller in North America for the last four years, and now you know why.

We also like the 3650RK. It's a gorgeous model. Keep in mind the 3650RK, 3400RL, and 3500RL were all new models in 2004. The 3295RK has been around since 2001. That's one reason so many of us have that model.

One thing to keep in mind if you plan to fulltime is carrying capacity. You will be surprised how much weight you will add to the rig when you start fulltiming. If you have a brochure, you can see the numbers. If not, go to http://www.keystone-montana.com and click on specifications.

Good luck. I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of the Montana and Mountaineer models. It's just what works best for you and, most importantly, what "feels right" for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hi Danette and Fred
Welcome. Keep looking, to into each unit, sit down and imagine your morning, your evening, your down time. Do you have others that will travel with you or visit you. We looked for about five years at the Montanas. We had fallen in love with the 3295 because it was the first unit we ever saw that had a place for computer. This was five years ago. When we finally got a dealer that would work with us (we were self-employed for many years and credit companies don't SE) he had a 3400 on the lot. We loved it and still do but if the deal had not been right we would have taken the 3205. We also liked the front LR model but it didn't have a desk.
Side Note - We have a daughter name Denette - she has 3 sisters, Denise, Dynell and Dalene. All of them the first syllable is the same. ( I know I'm nuts but once you start it you have to keep going or someone will be hurt). Also my grandmother's maiden name was McKee. My great-great grandfather homesteaded in Kansas and there is a family cemetery in Hallowell Kansas for the McKee family. James McKee was one of the ancestors. Any connection?
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:44 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum. I have to echo the comments about choice of floorplan being individual. We have the 3255RL (no longer available) because we fell into the deal. It fits our needs - enough storage for extended stays, a computer area that accomodates our printer, and enough roominess to be mighty comfy. We aren't fulltimers, but if we were, I'd probably want more storage, a regular desk and the entertainment center closer to the seating. Just the planning and searching will be a great adventure, to say nothing of that final decision, ordering and taking delivery. Good luck and enjoy the process.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
Montana_3602

M.O.C. #3602
Just wanted to say "thank you" to all of you that responded. Your input is very much appreciated. It's a good thing we don't have to go out today and choose one!! We want to have our choice made by the end of the year and we'll just have to keep going back to look. That's the fun part!!

Fred is concerned about pulling a heavy unit, such as the 3650. We have a 2004 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 6.0 engine, long bed. Can anyone give us an idea of how that would pull something as heavy as the 3650? Would appreciate any info on the truck.

To Parrothead: I love your daughter's names, especially the "Denette" one!! What a great idea! No, we are now the same McKee's, but that is so interesting. What a small world! Fred's family is from Indiana and there are a lot of McKee's out there that are not related.

Thanks again!

Danette & Fred
Montana_3602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
I think your truck will pull anything that Montana has to offer.

I recommend that you also look at the models you like with the slides closed. Accessibility does vary and it might help you narrow your choices.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Danette and Fred
My great great grandfather came from Illinois to Kansas. I have not done the history on this part of the family yet but I bet somewhere they were all related. I traced my Dad's family several years ago and it took clear back to 1640 to find where they started in the US.
Hapoy Trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree your truck can handle any of the Montanas. Our 3295RK is heavier than the 3650RK's GVWR and we've very successfully towed it over mountains, including the Rockies, with a '99 F350 V10 gas, then an '03 F350 with the 6.0 diesel, and now tow it with an '05 F250 6.0 powerstroke diesel. The biggest problem you'll have in my opinion is your smile muscles getting tired.

I think you'll find the Montanas tow beautifully, at least our two Montanas have. No white knuckles here, even in heavy winds, even being passed or passing 18-wheelers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome! have you considered looking for a used 3655FL? they stopped making them in 2003.if you can find one, it would have the front livingroom similar to the 3685, but it does have the two recliners. the catch is there is only one slide out in the lr. instead of two (3 total) we had a 3655...it was a nice unit, but we traded for the 3685 to get the extra couch.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:37 AM   #13
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
Danette and Fred,

I have a 2005 3685FL and love it, but as stated often, the floorplan is very personal so go with what suits you. I totally agree with the statement that you should look at the unit with all slideouts retracted. I travel a lot and like to take a break at rest stops. I found some units have features such as the refigerator inaccessable if the slideout is retracted.

I also do lots of computer work on the road, but felt a laptop would work at the table or couch, and personally didn't see the need for a computer work desk, although many folks look at that as a plus.

I wanted the dual couch because they also fold out onto beds. I am a NASCAR fanatic, and the extra beds allow me to bring friends.

The 3685 front living room is elevated, so if you are in a scenic area, you have a higher view. Again, this is why *I* selected the 3685. It all boils down to PERSONAL choice and what suits me may not at all be what suits you. Like I tell my wife (and it drives her crazy), "The reason Baskin-Robbins has so many flavors is because different folks like differnt things."

I will say that the fact you are looking at the MONTANA shows your intelligence is above average...
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote