Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Outside 12 volt light

The 12 volt light underneath the overhang works intermmittently. That is, the switch. I don't think it is a loose bulb, but my question is, can I, and if so, how do I remove the glass lens to check the bulb. I tried squeezing the two ends and also top and bottom. It looks like you should be able to remove the lens so you can get to the mounting screws. Most likely it is the switch. Do I have to remove the whole assembly to replace the switch, which I assume I can buy at Home Depot or any hardware store, or is it a Camping World rip off special.

Thanks, Lou

grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That light was bad on my rig, too! I was able to gently squeeze the top and bottom at the base of the clear cover and it came right off. The first thing I did was replaced the bulb but I had a feeling that wouldn't fix it. The light remained terribly intermittent until it just plain stopped working. I eventually took the thing apart and I found it was the switch which was a piece of crap. I used a piece of wire to bypass the switch and it worked every time I made contact.

Rather than go back to the dealer so they could replace it with another piece of crap, I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v switch (less than $2) that was almost the same size but seemed a lot more durable. With a little bit of shaving and a little bit of filling in it works just fine. The switch is so much better and works every time now.

If you are unable to find a replacement switch (I got the Radio Shack store's only one)I suppose getting a replacement housing with the switch from an automotive or RV store would have yielded the same thing. I don't think those assemblies are too expensive.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks Art for the info.
Now that i know it is top and bottom to squeeze, as you say gently, I will continue to work on it until I get fustrated and the plastic lens cracks. I replaced my single 12 volt light over the dinette with a two section light from Camping World. If it comes to this, I might be able to use the switch from the fixture I took out. But like you said, it would be replaceing crap with crap.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Good post. Mine has not worked for a couple of years.....guess i haven't missed it much. Knew I had power to the light and bulb was good. Thought I had a ground problem. Going switch shopping in the spring.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
From an engineering view, the light is in a difficult environment--wet when it rains, etc. Then put in cheap parts--result is parts failure. I went thru the same exercise. Basically the switch is designed for use inside an RV where it will not rain or have mud and water thrown up on it when you drive. Well--thats my 2 cents for today!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mine didn't work from day one and last year at the fall rally in Goshen, Keystone replaced it and it works fine now. Thank you Keystone......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote