Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
suspension upgrade & loose suspension nuts

hi everyone.i have been ready the nine pages of checking and finding loose suspension nuts .everyone retorqueing all the nuts .I have been thinking that if there is room for a second nut that we could use the second nut as a jam nut to stop the first nut from loosing off.we could check them and if they dont come loose anymore then this could solve the problem of loose suspension parts.just a idea.

thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
On the dexter axles the washered nut is a self locking type that does not require a second nut to lock the assembly. The retorquing application is generally because of u-bolt stretch to a point where tightening again will be unlikely; and the application, say the third time would only be verification that the nuts are at 70 to 75 ft lbs torque. If the u-bolt continually stretches, it will pass its yield point and break; ths is very uncommon. These u-bolts are fine thread and of grade 5 quality.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the topics i read that this bolts at some replys were that the bolts were as loose as 20 lbs torque and some were hanging on by threads. self locking nuts usally do not back off so some this axles that are having problems must not have self locking nuts.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

hi everyone.i have been ready the nine pages of checking and finding loose suspension nuts .everyone retorqueing all the nuts .I have been thinking that if there is room for a second nut that we could use the second nut as a jam nut to stop the first nut from loosing off.we could check them and if they dont come loose anymore then this could solve the problem of loose suspension parts.just a idea.
At the fall rally this was brought up and the Dexter tech said you can add a second locking nut if you want to. It`s like the wheels, once they loosen and are retorqued they will stay tight.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There are two types of self-locking nuts that I am aware of. One has a nylon insert that locks the nut in place and the other is a nut that has been stamped with a small rectangular punch on the sides to compress the threads in that area. Of the two types, I believe the ones on our trailers are the second type, and I have no faith whatsoever in these, as I have seen them come loose in other applications (my Toro lawn mower for one example). I am considering either adding lock washers or as suggested another nut. Problem is I have lock washers, but no fine threaded 1/2" nuts, so it will probably be the lock washers.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
I will check for type of nuts that are on our u-bolts. I thought that they were of the fared washer type that is self locking. With todays standards the old so-called lock washers are not used as thay can break and spread out from under the nut with force. All truck u-bolt have a flat continuious washer under the nut that has extra heigth and threads for more strength and is of grade 8 or more for quaility and added tensile. The ny-loc nuts with the nylon as a locking mechanism are difficult to find in a grade greater than 3 ( poor quality).
Old 10-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Can the u-bolts be replaced with higher quality ones?
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, you would have to remove one and take it in to a suspension/spring shop and they will copy/ bend a set of bolts for your requirement. Likely not necessary unless you have stretched or stripped you original bolts. We have had specific longer u-bolts made up for a thicker spring pack and also if adding a block under the spring pack to give more clearance on trucks. They make up and sell u-bolt, flat washer and heavy duty nut, usually of grade 8 or better standards.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Going to grade 8 would allow you to up the torque, but you may run the risk of damaging the axle tube if you go too high. I think the factory ones are fine, we just need to monitor them.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
mybe I'll just take my nuts off, drill small holes from one flat to another as in across a corner and safty wire they in place like I did on aircraft while I was a mechanic. Can not come loose then reguardles of torque or wear.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

mybe I'll just take my nuts off, drill small holes from one flat to another as in across a corner and safty wire they in place like I did on aircraft while I was a mechanic. Can not come loose then reguardles of torque or wear.
If the bolts stretch, the nuts will still be loose - they won't back off however. But drilling them will allow water (and salt if you travel in the winter) to enter and rust the bolts from the inside.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
If you are concerned about them backing off , which is unlikely you can always use a product called Loc Tite medium strength. They also make a produst called thread locker in red but it takes heat to loosen or remove.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I would'nt be too concerned about them backing off once you have made sure the nuts are properly torqued. Our unit has covered many miles and many rough roads in six years of fulltiming and I had 2 nuts that turned maybe 1/8 of a turn. If you Loctite them and damage or stretch occurs to the u-bolts you won't know it because the Loctite will keep the nut from moving when you put a torque wrench on it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #14
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Question? How come the U-bolts come loose on our tv's?
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

Question? How come the U-bolts come loose on our tv's?
Because the bolts tend to stretch with use from the repetitive pounding of the pavement against the suspension.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
Besides u-bolt stretch we also see flexing of the u-bolt plate which contributes to u-bolt loosening, that is the flat steel plate with 4 holes that the bolts retain the axle to spring mounting with. this plate is subject to as much stress as the u-bolts. We ocasionaly saw this plate broken when performing comercial trucks and trailers.
Fred
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #17
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
Oops, that should have said performing truck and trailer inspections
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote