Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm with Carl ... our 3150 is plumbed for a washer, but we have no use for one the way we use our rv. The trapped water in the lines to the washer make our bathroom faucet stink to high heaven after a period of time. I just capped off the lines under the sink since we will never use them ... problem solved. Like said ... flushing will do the trick as well, but it will be temporary unless you flush every so often.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
dieselguy and Carl. One more question. How does the water from the washer affect the bathroom faucet though. Does the bad water mix with the good water some how or is it just the smelly odor mixing some how to the water or is the oder coming from the AAV piece. and if odor is coming from AAV then you think that is bad. Thanks again guys.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #23
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
At least on my plumbing … the washer lines are T'd into the bathroom sink lines right under the floor riser the sink cabinet sits on. Before I capped off the lines, I flushed them out via the washer shut off knobs in the closet … it was rancid!!!!!!!!! I'd guess that crappy water leaches back into the faucet lines when you are not using your fiver for several days. Flush your washer lines … if the flush water doesn't smell really bad … you have another issue.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #24
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
OK thanks buddy. Going to camper sometime this week before the weekend and give what you say a try,hope i smell something coming out of the hose into the vent pipe for washer or ill have to try who knows what next.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
dieselguy and Carl,well went to the camper this morning turned on campground water and hooked a long hose to the washer hook up, hot side first. Had a shut off on the other end in the bathroom. Water flowing into the toilet i could smell a odor plus pink antifreeze came out also. took hose outside the door let it run at least 10 minutes then did cold side of washer same way,only a little antifreeze came out but not as much of a odor. Turned heater on to get water hot and tried bathroom sink again and couldnt smell odor anymore so guessing that was my issue,will see this weekend when we go back so thanks for all the help Chuck.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #26
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You'll have to cap off the lines or flush them regularly otherwise the smell will return.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #27
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Funny things is dieselguy bought the camper last year in May and used it 7 times over the summer with no issues of smell then, i winterized it and took it to my seasonal site this April for this season and have been using it almost every weekend since April until now going on 6 months until now just started to smell. Question,how did you cap or cut that water off to the washer lines. Like to be able to use those lines if i ever do put a washer in at a later date. Like to be able to get shut off valves of some kind. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Easy fix. Go into the basement and find the lines that feed the washer and install valves as close as possible to the water source on both the hot and cold lines. One benefit of doing this is that the next time you winterize the lines, close the valves you just put in to the washer and you will not to ever winterize them again since antifreeze will stay between the valves you installed and the washer valves.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #29
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Our experience was the same ... used the fiver for some time before "the smell" got our attention. On our unit, the washer lines were T'd off the sink lines under the sink pedestal. I just used caps on the existing T's under the pedestal the sink cabinet sits on in our unit. I had to take up a small piece of paneling, but when put back in place ... it doesn't show it. I didn't go with valves as capping is cheaper and if I ever want to use the washer lines, I would just simply remove the caps and hook the lines up as original. I left the washer lines empty as there is no need to keep antifreeze in empty lines. Our 2011 has the Flair It style of fittings. https://www.ebay.com/p/Flair-It-RV-F...5502183&chn=ps Yours might have the PEX lines which are just as easy to cap. http://www.sharkbite.com/product/end-caps/
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #30
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Thanks dieselguy and beeje. Be my project at winterizing to either install valves or just cap them.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #31
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
We had this exact problem with the bathroom water faucet in our 2012 3150RL. Stinky water from the tap, then it is OK after it runs for a few seconds. It took us a long time to diagnose. The camper was plumbed for a washer/dryer, which we did not have, and the feeder lines "Y"ed off from the bathroom faucet about 2 feet below the counter.

We solved the problem by installing an in-line shutoff on both the hot and cold lines to the washer, a few inches from the "Y" connector.

Later when I winterized I blew out the lines with low pressure air, then I closed the valves for good and I won't have to worry about them freezing. I guess I also could have pumped antifreeze through them and then closed them.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #32
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
To see if it is your AVV valve, put a baggie over it and tape it good. Does the smell go away? If it does, that's the problem.
I would also sanitize the entire system.
When leaving the RV for a long time, put a teaspoon of vegetable oil down all the drains. This will keep the water from evaporating.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #33
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
To see if it is your AVV valve, put a baggie over it and tape it good. Does the smell go away? If it does, that's the problem.
I would also sanitize the entire system.
When leaving the RV for a long time, put a teaspoon of vegetable oil down all the drains. This will keep the water from evaporating.
Chances are it's not the anode rod. If the rod was causing the smell, you'd smell it at all the faucets.
Note: The anode rod is only for Suburban heaters not Atwoods.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #34
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Do you leave your black tank back flush connected to a hose just turned off at the faucet? If so, that would be the source of your leak in the storage. Water trapped in the hose will leak into the bathroom cabinet as the water pressure disipates in the hose. When done backflushing you should allow the hose to drain empty outside after turning off the source valve.

If you're only using the RV once a week, and depending on how much hot water you are using, I agree with others that the water heater and the washer line could be the smell. The water line never get's emptied unless you winterize it and the water in the water heater can have some age on it if you're not using much once a week.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #35
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
If your unit has been sitting a while with no water usuage the water in the traps and especially in the water heater will sour. Smells awful until it clears.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #36
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Just a update on the smell. Went this weekend for the first time after flushing the washer hot and cold lines earlier last week before this weekend and as Carl and dieselguy said it was my issue the stale water in washer lines and no smell this weekend. Thanks to everybody with getting me straight and what to do. Chuck.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #37
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Md.firefighter3791rd, Its a small world, I also live in Westminster md. Just make sure you install valves in the hot and cold lines to the washer so you do not have the issue return.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #38
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
We had this smelly problem one winter in Arizona. Found out the water hose itself from being exposed to the sun for a length of time had algae form in the hose thus even with city hookup it smelled bad in the bathroom mostly. could have treated the hose with bleach but decided to buy a new hose and fixed the problem.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #39
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Hey beeje,yeah it is a small world. Yeah i'm going to do the shut off valves when i winterize it at the end of October where my camper is,first time doing the seasonal at Drummer Boy in Gettysburg and the season is over end of October.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
For that exact reason our rigs water system is emptied of all water (possible) between trips. All tanks, fresh included along with the water heater. I also sanitize the lines a few times a year.