Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
WHO does the navigation and how?

Who does the navigation in your 5er when you are hauling it around and hitting the hard road??

1.) Pilot OR, Co-Pilot??

2.) Do you use maps, or GPS??

3.) IF, you use GPS, is the Pilot or Co-Pilot responsible for setting the route and monitoring along the way??

4.) If you have GPS, is it on a lap top or dedicated unit, such as Garmin?? (this is not intended to be a poll of WHICH GPS you have if you have a stand alone/dedicated unit)

5.) For those of you who do have a dedicated unit, do you just "listen" to the commands or do you actually use the unit as a map, in addition to the voice commands.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
1. Co-pilot does all the navagating as well as serving as "games" director ie: name all the states and their capitals, movie and song titles, etc. Pilot just drives where the co-pilot tells him too. This arrangement works very well. Pilot impressed that co-pilot hasn't gotten us lost yet!

2. Use maps - this co-pilot operates in the "dark" ages and does things manually. However, she has on her Santa wish list a lap top computer for she would love a GPS. In addition would save her from MOC withdrawal now that we are going to be headin' southwest for the winter.

3. Don't use GPS but route basically planned by co-pilot with some input from pilot.

4. N/A

5. N/A
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We don't have or use GPS. We do use the computer with MS Streets and Trips for planning the evening or morning before travel begins. We both look over the route, and I make write down a basic "How to get there" (route, milage of significant route/street names, directions of turns)on a small notepad for reference while traveling. Having both of us look at the route again just before we start out is really helpful. Zero the trip odometer as we leave, and just keep track of where and which way to turn. I try to stay two "legs" ahead mentally. example: "right onto US yy at 142 odometer miles, then left onto US xx at 165 miles"

Copilot does the enroute navigation. Just follows along on the basic maps, nothing fancy. We also have the phone # of the intended park available for a cross-check of computer generated destination area directions azs we get close.

I don't really want to have a computer running on the seat consol while we are driving...too many distractions as it is. I may break down and get a good GPS (I'v been using them for many years) but the old way seems to be as good. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much information, especially when you are clipping along at 60 mph or in heavy traffic.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
None of that new fangled fancy stuff for me.
I get out the old map and look at where we want to go and we go. I usually try to travel 300 to 400 miles per day in the general direction of where we eventually want to be. If at 200 miles we see something we like, we stay over and eventually get underway a day or two or three later.
We mostly travel by the seat of our pants and for the most part do not have a definite destination for that day. This past September was the first time that we planned a trip and actually had reservations. That of course was for the MOC rally. From there we aimed the Monty south knowing that eventually we would arrive in Florida and we didn't have a reservation.
I hate commitments and a reservation, to me, is a commitment. Had all the commitments we needed when we both worked.
Using our system we can stop at that small town carnival or whatever without worrying about keeping that reservation at some campground some 100 miles down the road. There are too many attractions, events, celebrations, etc along the way that we were not aware of and would have to pass up if we had some commitment.
AND that is the reason we DO NOT need any of that new fangled stuff.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We mostly use Streets & Trips for mapping routes ahead of time. (S&T has more detail than most paper maps). We will use our GPS if we are in strange territory or a congested area. Sometimes the co-pilot likes to follow along on the laptop just to see how we are progressing, (or to keep her lap warm?) I mostly do the route planning, sometimes weeks or months ahead, and modify it over time as people give us tips and advice on where to go, or avoid. And if you ever do get lost, the GPS is a Godsend!

(Presently in Gulf Shores, AL.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We use the Garmin 2610 street pilot. It is great. It has verbal turn by turn instructions that are pretty darn accurate. We first plan our trip by using the atlas and the good sam web site. After we plan where we are going, the pilot sets the course on the Garmin and off we go. It is easy to set up, and has a lot of features for finding rest stops, restraunts, gas stations, shopping, sites, and more.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Copilot is directionally challenged. Pilot always knows where he is going and too stubborn to ask directions. Don't have GPS and don't like maps so we just point and go.

Copilot tells pilot where to turn just as he passes the turn. You know, "I think you were supposed to turn there, weren't you?" Pilot never admits error.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
1.) Pilot
2.) Delorme Street Atlas and GPS to Laptop
3.) Plot the trip before departure and listen to turns as well as copilot monitoring turns on laptop. Use a power inverter to power the 110 powersupply for the laptop.
4.) GPS is the Delorme unit conntect to the ham radio for APRS (HAMRAD tracking) and also split to the laptop.
5.) Voice commands from computer and map.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 AM   #9
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
We use a Garmin Quest unit to drive by. Both the pilot and co-pilot enter the commands. I (pilot) use the voice commands to drive by. There is no need to take your eyes off the road. We also use the GPS to find fuel and food. When we get down to 1/4 tank, we simply ask the GPS to find the nearest truck stop, and follow the directions to it. It is also great for finding food. You select the type of food you desire, and it does the rest. Sure beats randomly driving around looking for food!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
1. Pilot

2. Delorme Earthmate GPS on a laptop. Use maps only on short, local runs when I manage to get lost (GPS not in use).

3. Pilot. (my co-pilot and Stiles' must be closely related)

4. Laptop.

5. Mine's sitting on the dash but connected to the laptop that's on the console. It issues verbal info in advance of a turn and again as you get closer and again when the turn is imminent. I listen to the voice but also use it as a trigger to glance at the screen. It's very nice to be able to tell the upcoming turn is a left-hand exit or a cloverleaf to the right, or whatever. I've become a believer, an adherent, and actually feel somewhat naked when traveling unknown areas without it. No longer do I have to make mental notes how far to the next turn. A quick glance at the screen tells me exactly how far and the name of the street/highway. To answer your question, I both listen to the verbal prompt and I use it as a map. Sometimes when we're pulled over I'll do a search for a particular store, like Walmart or Flying J.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:25 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Mama is the navigator. She loves Streets and Trips. We have several options for our trip to Alaska next summer already in the program. It's great for finding campgrounds, restaurants, and hundreds of other sites. We love to check to see how far we are from our destination.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:08 AM   #12
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Stiles, I love your answer!.
1) Pilot (co-pilot is directionally challenged also, and doesn't do well reading maps, especially while moving) As Stiles says, I know where I'm going and too stubborn to ask for directions (mostly)

2) Right now we're using maps and/or Mapquest. Since we just bought a new 2980 and SuperGlide, the Garmin GPS is on next year's wish list.

3) N/A

4) Planning on gettng the Garmin 2620 dedicated unit, but also like the idea of the Pioneer unit that replaces the radio and has a screen that comes out and up in place when in use.

5) N/A
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:08 AM   #13
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
1. Co-pilot
2. We use maps
We try to stay on main roads also. My dad likes to travel through all the small towns which is nice, but to much stop and go for me.I knew I was in troube following him in West Virgina when we passed the sign that said " NO BIG TRUCKS"
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:28 AM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
1. Pilot and Co-pilot plan th eroute
2. I use MS Streets and Trips with GPS on a PC. I like the larger screen on the PC.
3. Copilot does most of the directing but pilot takes a look evry now and again.
4. I leave the GPS on to see how we're tracking.

Good luck in your decision.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:10 AM   #15
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Glenn, how do you address the sleeping? If you end up in a town that you haven't planned on staying at do you just look for a campground or a Walmart?
-------------------------
"Using our system we can stop at that small town carnival or whatever without worrying about keeping that reservation at some campground some 100 miles down the road."
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:29 AM   #16
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
We navigate jointly, but I plan the 2005 trips on Streets and Trips software. I study the route and anywhere I see some hairy places along the route where we might have problems ( going through cites with lots of turns, etc) I go over them with my wife. We use a Magellan Platinum GPS connected to a lap top. It has worked great for us. I built a Lap Top holder that places the lap top between us on the center console. She does all the looking at the lap top while we are moving and if I have to look at it for a particular problem she might be having with the route, I pull over and stop when I find a place to park. Have not had to do this very often.

There are a lot of systems out there and more and more RVers are using them or at least a GPS. We like the one we now use.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:44 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by captbanjo

Glenn, how do you address the sleeping? If you end up in a town that you haven't planned on staying at do you just look for a campground or a Walmart?
-------------------------
"Using our system we can stop at that small town carnival or whatever without worrying about keeping that reservation at some campground some 100 miles down the road."
We have not overnighted at any WalMart or truck stop. I just can't see overnighting in the middle of a big old parking lot or being kept awake all night listening to the big rigs coming and going.

So far we have been lucky on finding a campground within a reasonable distance. It may mean back tracking a few miles but usually they can be found.
There was one time we found an area we wanted to stay in so we pulled into a restaurant for a bite to eat. While there we asked if there were any campgrounds close by. They said there was one just down the road. Well we drove "just down the road" for about 15 miles and guess what? There was no campground "just down the road" at least none that we could find. I feel they sent us on a wild goose chase. Anyway that 30 mile detour cost me about 2 hours of travel time. And because of that wild goose chase it was the first time we were still on the road after dark. It was also the first time we pulled into a campground after 10 PM. Got lucky as the office was just closing as we pulled in. And because I was not a very happy camper, it the first time we never unhooked the truck from the Monty. AND the last time I will ever stop at that restaurant.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have the 2004 version of Streets and Trips and like it a lot. Has anyone upgraded to 2005? Is it worth the $$? What new features does it offer? I looked at the box but couldn't determine if it would be a worthwhile investment.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have S&T 2005 as well as Street Atlas USA 2005. I prefer S&T's route planning but prefer SA's voice prompts for tracking the route. I can't compare S&T 2004 with 2005 but 2005 is really nice. If they had voice prompts I'd stay with it. But I'm the navigator as well as the driver and I don't want to spend a lot of time checking to see if a turn is coming up so I rely on the voice of SA to tell me there's one coming up. Sure wish I could merge the best features of each. Maybe Microsoft will buy out DeLorme one of these days...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #20
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We also have the DeLorme Street Atlas 2005 with EarthMate GPS usb. It is new for us, but works well. And I especially liked the price of $119.00 for the combination of SA 2005 and GPS unit. The voice prompts are great, and all is well. Just finished a mounting for my laptop on my console. The only problem I have had so far is needing to to just a bit more "tweaking" of the trip in advance than I had to do with Streets and Trips. BUT... I have found out that I can no longer lie about my actual speed since it shows to my co-pilot as plain as day. (so I will use one of the other screens that shows turns instead of speed and direction)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote