Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
**New Technology Available**

I learned something yesterday!
While talking with AllConnect about new service I learned there is new technology available. At least it’s new with my understanding. I was told it just came out this year.

With Dish network (possibly others ?) a person can have their home television programs available while on the road and all you need is a lap-top. A satellite dish would not be required. The only requirement would be that you would have to obtain a connection to the internet. With any Wifi connection or your own internet connection; I understood that all you would have to do is log onto your account to receive your normal programming. It makes sense to me.
Has anyone on here tried this?

If so how do you like it?

What do you think?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Nope,

Assuming that you would require unlimited amounts of connectivity via your wifi system?? Betting many parks would really frown and do not approve already of that much streaming on their systems.

Our Millenicom is restricted to 20 GIGs per month, I know how fast streaming can suck that up. 4 days of streaming a live convention last year did major damage to my usage. SIGHH

Unless I am not understanding, which is so totally possible! LOL
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Carol has the same feeling about it as I do. When we signed up last summer they were bragging about it, but we have a satellite antenna anyway and don't want any streaming going on over our Verizon cell connection so I've never tried it. When we sold the S&B I dropped Netflex for the same reason.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Yes, we have that ability with with Directv it is called Directv Everywhere. But as others have said, some parks may not like you streaming over their connection and I certainly wouldn't use my Verizon Data Plan. But you could record shows & movies on your Laptop and if it has HDMI connection, watch them on your TV....
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Yes I have the Dish sling adapter that allow me to watch anything I have recorded on my Dish PVR. It sling adapter was $99 with a $99 rebate (free) with no monthly charge. It really needs high speed connect to internet. With this I can watch live or recorded shows on my iPhone, iPad, laptop or desktop. I use the word can, but I don't see any need to as we also have the tailgater from Dish.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We use the DISH version to watch TV from our receiver in our 5th wheel while on our own network. The app is smart enough to determine if you are on your own wifi and if so, only uses an Internet connection to log into DISH servers and authenticate you, meaning no heavy Internet usage.

It's nice when sitting outside of our rig.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
COLOR me TOTALLY confused.

OP, states: all you need is a lap-top. A satellite dish would not be required.

snfexpress, you state: use the DISH version to watch TV from our receiver in our 5th wheel while on our own network

I have been spring cleaning Tana today, and probably sniffed way too much windex, but, I don't see how these two scenarios are the same??

HELPPPP!! LOL

And, snfexpress, I don't get the no internet useage. MORE HELP! LOL

So, the moral of the story, no more Tana cleaning for this gal!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

The Dish adapter on our S&B Dish receiver is wirelessly connected to the internet. We are able to connect to the Dish receiver anywhere we have internet service, thus if we have internet we can watch anything the PVR has recorded or watch "live" TV on our computer or Ipad or iPhone. However if the receiver or internet is turned off in the S&B house there is no signal obviously. The tailgater system is much better and more reliable too at a cost of $7 per month when we actually use it and zero when it is not used. Nope, I have not been using any window cleaner
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Mrs. Country Guy,

Here is how the DISH app works...

If you have a high speed Internet connection, you can watch satellite TV on your iDevices. Here is the kicker...If you launch the app and you are on your local subnet, meaning you are on your local wifi network, the media streams locally as opposed to over the Internet. No Inet usage!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

COLOR me TOTALLY confused.

OP, states: all you need is a lap-top. A satellite dish would not be required.

snfexpress, you state: use the DISH version to watch TV from our receiver in our 5th wheel while on our own network

I have been spring cleaning Tana today, and probably sniffed way too much windex, but, I don't see how these two scenarios are the same??

HELPPPP!! LOL

And, snfexpress, I don't get the no internet useage. MORE HELP! LOL

So, the moral of the story, no more Tana cleaning for this gal!
You do have to connect the receiver in your home either wirelessly or wired to be able to access it from your computer if using the remote method. I believe Michael does not have a home location and is just using it in the close proximity to his trailer.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You are correct, Keith.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sigh, must have inhaled more of that windex than I knew, because despite your fine descriptive methods, I am still foggy on this.

So, I'll just believe ya, it won't suck up my Gigs.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Mrs. CountryGuy,

Do you have a wireless access point (AP) in your 5er? Or, do you connect each computer to the CG access point for Internet?

If you have your own AP, the SlingAdapter streaming of your satellite programming will stay within your local AP. The iPad app to receive the streaming programming only goes "outside" your AP to log you into DISH's servers to authenticate you and make sure you are not tapping into someone else's SlingAdapter.