Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
cumminalong
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13168
brake

Which engine brake is prefered for a 06 Dodge 2500,Pacbrake or Jacobs thinking of putting one on John R.

cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I went with the Pacbrak. No particular reason why I chose it over the Jacobs. I do recall somebody saying if you lose vacuum to the Jake you cold be stranded but if the air pump stops working for the Pac it just doesn't work. Not sure if that's correct. Seems to be one of those ford vs chevy type arguments on the web
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Just a thought, before you do anything, stop by a Cummins shop with the engine serial number and find what valve springs you have.

Not sure about your '06 but on a older one I had, I had 30lb springs and had to change them to 60lb springs so the EB would not cause the valves to float.

You do not list what transmission you have, if auto might have to do something to raise line pressure so it can hold at off throttle.

Might check here. Cummins Engine Forum

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I had the BD Power exhaust brake on my 2001, it was vacuum operated but even if you lost vacuum to the system it would only result in not being able to use the brake.

Newer vehicles use an entirely different system than my old '01 Newer ones use the variable pitch turbo vanes to create the back pressure on the pistons, as opposed to restricting the exhaust on my '01.

I think any of them will do the job, it is a matter of cost and preference to product.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I really like my PacBrake PRXB on my 2007 (5.9) Ram. It has worked flawlessly for 5 years and I installed myself. Bought mine off ebay and very pleased with seller/transaction.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
I have a 06 CTD w/auto trans and 3:73 gears. Purchased the Pac Brake and installed it myself. Very simple installation, can be done in a couple of hours.
No modifications of any kind were required. I have had this unit since 07 and have had to replace the compressor once and a check valve. Pac Brake has given me super service and the product works better than I ever expected. I would not tow without it. Worth every dollar I paid for it.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
The Jacobs was a factory option in 06 with the automatic transmission. The engine and transmission software is already there for it.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The Jake brake is a Cummins product. It was developed by Mr. Cummins so it will work well with your engine.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use the Banks Exhaust Brake.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
I went with the jacobs on my 06 CTD Dodge and love it. the failsafe is open.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
cumminalong
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13168
Thanks to all that answered I:am going to lean to Pacbrake for being the most simple install an operation of it.Will put the truck in the shop after Xmas an give it a service an install a unit,ready for trip to Arizona in Mar,Thanks again John R.
cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I am not familiar with Dodge, but both Banks and Bully Dog make an electronic braking system that uses the turbine to seal off the exhaust and act as a brake. There is no cutting or welding, everything is plug (literally) and play. But as I said, I don't know if it's made for the 06 Dodge. I'm putting one on my 06 Chevy when the weather warms up (spring).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Not sure if you have an Auto Trans but, when I had the Pacbrake installed I had the shop replace the trans pan with a deep pan, new fluid, check the bands and add Trans temp gauge (which I've also wanted for years). I was a bit worried about possible stress on the 48RE auto. It took a while for the 05 to be supported by PacBrake and as I recall it was due to the 48RE. Obviously they've since figure out how to work with it and none of this may apply to the 06.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I installed the Jacobs exhaust brake on my '07 5.9 Cummins w/ manual trans, mostly because of engine warrantee considerations. It works OK, but in my opinion, it is not quite strong enough. Although, being too strong is a realistic safety concern, as a friend of mine with a different brand, jack-knifed his rig while hooked up to a flatbed trailer hauling a backhoe on a wet downhill road.

The general consensus at a local, well respected, truck repair/hop-shop facility that specializes in Dodge trucks, is that the Pac-Brake is the way to go.

I had the vacuum pump fail after 4 years on a camping trip, and had to wait a day for the nearest Cummins Repair Facility to get one shipped to them (Hint: Do not go through a Dodge dealership for a Jacobs system or parts, as they will charge a whole lot more than a Cummins Repair Facility). I did the pump replacement myself and it was a piece of cake.

Whether or not a vacuum pump failure will strand you on the side of the road, depends on what type of failure it is. The vacuum pump is separate from the actuating assembly, and is driven by a longer-than-stock serpentine belt.

Pump related failures are the most common problem with the Jacobs.:

If the failure is only diaphragm related in the vacuum pump(not generating a vacuum), then the unit just quits working and you can still drive the rig, just no exhaust brake to slow you down (which is what happened in my case).

If the failure is a bad bearing in the vacuum pump assembly, it depends on the level of failure, whether or not you will be able to continue your trip. If the bearings are just squealing a bit, then you should start looking for a place to get safely off of the road to do repairs. How far you can go before complete bearing or shaft failure is a crap-shoot, push it too far and you may get stranded in a bad situation. In the event of complete failure, you will either burn up, derail, or break the serpentine belt.

Which brings me back to the longer-than-stock belt. I always carry an extra stock length, and an extra longer-than-stock belt. That way, if the pump seizes, I can install the stock belt and be on my merry way (without an exhaust brake), ....or, if the serpentine belt just flat out breaks from being deteriorated, I can put on the longer belt and continue on with a working exhaust brake.

If there is a failure in the butterfly plate assembly (the part that blocks the exhaust flow), if the butterfly gets stuck in the closed position (broken return spring or carbon build-up making it stick closed), most likely you won't be going anywhere until you can move it to the open position.

If the failure is wiring related, and the brake is not engaging, most likely you can keep travelling without an exhaust brake.

In hindsight, if I had to do it all over again, I would most likely get the Pac-Brake.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote