Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Dish satelite questions

We have Dish satelite service that is proving problematic- We have "Dish Mover" which is part of our agreement with Dish- Dish is supposed to send a tech to our site and hook up the satelite as I am unable to do it myself- The technical stuff is not my forte- In our present wiring system, we have only one tv which works on the ota antennae, but will not receive cable- The ota booster has been removed also- We need help from fellow Mocers who have fought this fight- Please share your knowledge so my DW becomes human again [ she needs her daily tv fix to be nice to be near ]- THANX in advance for all replies- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
It's probably just me, but I don't quite understand what you are asking. Are you asking about wiring your rig or about dish? I'm so confused.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I'm kinda confused too, but I'll take a stab at it.

Make sure all coax cabling is RG-6 from the dish to the rig's coax input. Then make sure you use the jumper ports. You'll need to connect one port to the receiver's satellite input and then the other is the output from the receiver to the other port which is the input of the trailer interior. There's a very good chance the Dish tech has no idea on how to do this, since trailering is not there forte and without a schematic (which doesn't exist), they'll be clueless.

What's confusing us is that only one TV works and not both which implies a problem with the internal wiring maybe caused by the removal of the booster. Or maybe on your 2000 year model it's different that what I'm used to (maybe the internal wiring is NOT RG6). One shouldn't have to remove the booster in any case, just don't turn it on if you don't want to use the OTA.

There is a diagram, that I don't have but maybe someone else can post it. But I don't know if it's accurate for a 2000 Montana.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I had a 2000 Montana 2850RK ... it came with RG59 cable back then which I don't think will be a problem with today's satellite signals due to the short run of wire in RV's. For whatever reason, I never could get the satellite to work at all whether the booster was off or on and I yes was using the infamous jumper near the living room TV. Perhaps this is why you have removed your booster earlier. I ended up removing the jumper and watched the bedroom TV using just the batwing antenna and booster. After I isolated the living room TV from the bedroom by removing the jumper, it was as simple as hooking the satellite cable from the dish to the connector on the outside. Then I hooked a short cable from the cable wall plate behind the main TV to the satellite receiver input. I then hooked a short cable from the satellite receiver output to the back of the TV ... align the dish and I was watching satellite TV. Since satellites and RV's were just getting acquainted around 2000, you may well have to run a new antenna wire into the bedroom to get the satellite signal available to that TV. (unless you already have).

On Edit
Here's a link as to why and how things have to be changed in older RVs to accept a satellite signal http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/17/rv...cable-rewiring
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If your question is why you can't get the customer service folks to help you, it's because they're in India or some other place and don't even know what an RV is. If this is the problem, call and ask for an RV tech. Dish has dedicated RV techs and they will transfer you to a real live American who knows about making Dish work in an RV.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
The other problem is that the voltage to run the LNB (feedhorn on the end of the dish) is higher than RG59 was designed to handle. Over time the insulation breaks down and causes intermittent problems thus the switch to RG6.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Needed to vent my frustration with Dish and their frequent changes to the "agreement" we supposedly have- We will stay with Dish but will buy our own equipment instead of "renting"- My inability to set up the d!@#$ dish is the straw that broke the monkeys back- That plus the fact that the Dish subs changed the wiring of the tv's so we have no 12 volt booster for the ota and are unable to hook up to cable where available certainly accelerates my frustation- THANX again for all replies- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
tulwick1
Established Member

M.O.C. #7209
The RG 59 will not be a problem. You can not have any spliters in the circut. The ampiflyer will have to be bypassed. Some time the digital siginal may pass through it but not always. Need to have a stright cable to the reciver. RG6 or 59. both will work no matter what dish says. My house is wired with RG59U and works just fine.
tulwick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
kcjolley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9226
I went to a dish tailgater and that ended the setup problem.
kcjolley is offline   Reply With Quote