Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Radio Reception?

I picked up my unit a few months ago and was not able to receive any AM radio on the stereo. FM was marginally okay but not great. I have the unit replaced because the CD changer would not eject. The next unit still had the NO AM reception. I took the unit out and the manual said the AM antenna should be extented away from the power so I did and still no reception. I took the unit back to the dealer for other problems and he replaced the stereo. I haven't checked it yet. Any suggestions for antenna placement etc?

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
check BigAl52 posted today. It all sounds like the same problem. It might give you a little insight to your problem.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
They leave the wire antenna's wrapped up just as they come out of the box, If you or the dealer pull out the sterio and unbundle/stretch out the antenna wires it helps but it is still not the greatest receiver.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deerrahn

check BigAl52 posted today. It all sounds like the same problem. It might give you a little insight to your problem.

And--- where am I going to find BigAl52 posting by derrahn?
Thanks
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Danny,
We haven't tried the AM side of our tuner but we did have a significant problem receiving FM. We could only get one or two FM stations no matter where we were. Our stereo unit is a SHARP dual cassette/3 disc AM/FM system. I checked the instructions that came with it and saw that it is suppose to have a wire antenna with the unit. I removed the stereo from the cabinet and the antenna was attached but coiled up. I uncoiled the antenna wire, ran it up through the hole for the power cord and stapled it around the inside of the cabinet. We now get great radio reception. I hope this helps.

Jack
Old 12-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
every dollar is critical to the manufacturer when builing a camper.The couple of dollars saved by NOT putting a real antenna on the camper adds up when multiplied by the number of campers made.Same as not putting enough clamps on water lines so they won't bang around , using staples instead of nails, etc..things the consumer has to do for themselves,,goes with the territory. I mean we only pay 40K or more for these things...what do we expect???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have had the dealer attempt to fix our AM/FM but it really doesn't work all that well. We don't use the radio and probably won't. The CD player works well along with the DVD and the surround sound. I do agree with Rich, our old TT had a nice "real antenna" and we had much better reception than we have now, but like I said, we don't use the radio in the entertainment center.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I'm sure there is some type of an after market antenna you could get at radio shack, but i've never looked into it.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Get a Marine antenna to mount on your roof..Actually the Long wire antenna that you found coiled up will work ok..most of the time..
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I haven't picked up my RV from the dealer after the fix yet but I can't believe there should be a reception problem with any unit. I have portables, walkmans, etc. that get good reception without any external antennas.
I have a boombox that I will take with me if they can't get it fixed.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
We replaced our player with another of the same and then uncoiled the antenna and stuck it out the window up to the roof. Guess what, no change. The TV antenna booster is also used for the antenna. Lets see if I have this right, turn on the booster to get better TV and turn it off for better radio, also turn it off to get cable TV, or is it the other way around? This is just another piece of junk that has been added to our great Montana's.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:57 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just to be clear..Keystone /Montana selects and approves every vendor item that goes into our great Montanas. keystone knows exactly what the quality of each vendor item is... When you think about it I do not think Keystone(or any of the others) manufactures a single component the makes up our Montana.The camper is a collection of vendor supplied components assembled by Montana. The responsibility for the quality of the vendor supplied items is Keystones..This is not a criticism of keystone..that's just the way it is..IMHO.