Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
eazytime

M.O.C. #4522
remote control furnace

im haveing problems with my montana's heating system, it is the new remote control type t-stat, and no mater what i do it seems to have a hard time staying at one tempature, i can set it 71 and it may get as cold as 60 or as hot as 85, for no apparant reason, ive called a local repair facility and had it looked at, even had the controllers changed out, but the problem still occures. nobody can seem to help me out with this, have any of you seen this problem, help,
thank you, eazytime

eazytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The longest post ever on this forum is about the remote thermostat. Do a search and you will find it. We've all replaced with Comfort Control. You need to contact Dometic.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome to the forum, Eazytime! This is one reason this forum is invaluable. Follow Parrothead's advice. This was a seemingly good idea that went bad. No more remotes coming out of the factory, I believe. Huge input from this forum may have been part of the reason for the change, but Keystone is an A+ customer service company, although not perfect, they are the reason that Montana/Mountaineer 5vers are number one in US sales.

Again, welcome!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Montana_3360
Established Member

M.O.C. #3360
We have the remote AC/Furnace and (knock on wood) we have not had any problems. The remote is velcroed facing the thermostat about ten feet from it. It is set to the "I feel" setting. It Stays within 2 degrees of the setting on the remote. When not in the "I Feel" setting, it does not keep the temperature as consistant. We have the same good luck on AC and furnace.
Montana_3360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Want to get a good laugh? We looked at 2 Cambridge models last weekend and they both had the Dometic remote thermostat in them. See what you can get for $84,000.

I talked with the dealer about them and he asked me to tell him how to resolve the problem with those units. Guess what web site I sent him to?
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We replaced our complete remote unit twice before dometic gave us the new non-remote digital thermostat system. It was one of the best modifications we made to the Monty. Best of luck. The I feel mode is a way to avoid the problem. Ours was off exactly 10 degrees. If I set it at 82, it was great for 72 whether A/C or heat. If I set it to 72, it would shut off at 62 on heat and wouldn't ever get off on A/C because it was trying to get down to 62. Best of luck if you go back and look at the longest post - thermostats. Second longest may be the Qwest stereo.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My 06 Montana 2955RL was made in August 05 and it has the infamous remote control which I am fairly certain is a flawed design.
I just spent 2 hours out in the Montana checking out this system to see how aggressively I will pursue the Comfort Control non remote which I understand is now coming in the later 06 models.
I took my wife's digital cooking thermometer out to the unit for this test.

Leaving the remote control unit in it's little holder right across the hall from the wall unit. I got pretty good results. I left my big kitchen fan on low speed for this 2 hour test because I believe an RV need a little moving air to avoid cold spots.

The temperature outside is a cool 35 F only 3 degrees off frost. I opened all my daynight shades because I don't want to have to sit in a dark RV to be comfortable.

I found the system worked very well in the regular mode but my set point is 2 degrees off. I had to set the remote to 77 to hit 75 degrees. The furnace would run until the temperature hit 75 and this was verified with the very acurate digital cooking thermometer. The furnace would stay off until the temperature hit 73 degrees and then start up. That is only a 2 degree drop and not that bad at all. With the big kitchen Fan running on slow pushing air down, the whole fifth wheel was very consistant and I could not tell a difference from the bedroom to the living room.
Sitting beside my big picture window in my T Shirt, I felt no draft from the double pane windows and to touch they were much warmer than the only single pane widow I have on the unit, the door window.

I was quite pleased with the system until I hit the " I feel " mode and then the temperature climbed up over 80 degrees .

It is interesting that Don and Judy's system is completely opposite of mine.

If mine stays this consistent I will just keep it and not bother with the " I feel" setting.

I really studied the instructions and you must make sure the geen light is on steady and not flashing. I had to reset everything on the remote to get the green light to stop flashing.

One last point, when I hit the room display, the temperature it shows was exactly the same as the digital cooking thermometer. They both showed the room temperature as staying exactly between 75 and 73 degrees in the unit, outside was 35.

The furnace was running about 10 min and stopping 10 minutes to hold this range . If I would have vent cushions in all 3 vents, the furnace might run a little less and of course I would always run a 1500 watt heater if I had a full hook up site so I am pretty happy with how comfortable my new Montana is in cold weather.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You must be one of very few who got a "good" unit. Most everyone else has been off 10 degrees. Please don't suggest we all didn't read the instructions and try different things, like fans, etc. We did and still had problems. Glad yours is working out for you. I'm glad to be rid of it.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Of course I would not suggest that everyone else did not read instructions and I started out the post stating I believe the remote system is flawed. I had not had the time to go over my own manual and the first few times I used the system, the green light was flashing and I had huge temperature spikes. I have read every post on this subject and a 10 degree set point error is what a lot of people are having so because my unit was made after so many of these system complaints maybe Montana tried with limited success to improve the remote's performance before they scrapped it all together.

This system did come out as an upgrade but like many new ideas, it just doesn't work very well.
Once again , if my post made it sound like I thought others were not reading the instructions, that was not my intent. I meant to say I could not get it to work until I studied the manual.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Wrenchtraveller -

Just to clarify, the unit is made by Dometic. I sent two units back to Dometic so they could analyze them. Perhaps they fixed the problem, but I'm not sure that they understood the problem for quite a while. I actually wrote a problem statement and sent it to them. I think that Keystone put pressure on them to avoid the finger pointing - is it the system or the way it was mounted? Just wanted to clarify that it was Dometic's problem to fix.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rames14 , Thanks for the info and if Montana is no longer using these remote control units anymore, it should be easier for us to get the Comfort Control parts we need.