Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
tires-a different perspective

WILLACY COUNTY -(that is in Texas) Two Valley families were awarded nearly $12 million by a Willacy County jury in a verdict against the nation's largest tire maker. Both families were involved in a horrific accident just outside Matamoros on New Year's Eve in 2006.

The Willacy County panel found a manufacturing flaw in the Goodrich tire made by Michelin North America contributed to the crash. A tire on an F-250 pick up truck driven by Jesus Guzman of Raymondville separated from its tread causing the vehicle to swerve into oncoming traffic. It collided with an SUV that claimed the lives of six people.

Ariel Flores, his wife, and two children from Pennsylvania, and his nephew and friend from San Benito were all killed. A 10-year-old child in the pickup was paralyzed.

I have Michelins on my truck and Bridgstone on the trailer and I am very happy with both FWIW

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Same here.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The lawsuit maybe something new but tread seperation is almost always considered a manufacturer's defect. I am surprised it took this long for such a suit. I guess having 6 people die and a child paralyzed finally got some attention.

BUT you can bet that this ain't over yet. Both Goodrich and Michelin will be appealing this verdict all the way to the Supreme Court. If they didn't appeal it there will be hell to pay. Such a decision will open the entire tire industry to lawsuits much like doctor's malpractice suits and you see the problems with rising health care costs.

BTW-NO tire manufacturer is immune to tread seperation
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey

I have Michelins on my truck and Bridgstone on the trailer and I am very happy with both FWIW
I am curious - what kind of Bridgestones?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:

I am curious - what kind of Bridgestones?
Duravis 500
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Those are the ones I am looking at. How do you like them, David?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Every product has problems... The manufacturers need to be held accountable for defects something we do not do in the RV industry and we will continue to get a low quality products till be do..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #8
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I agree with Rich, We need to hold the RV industries feet to the fire a bit here to get better quality
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Hopefully not too political here but anyone notice in yesterday's paper that China is upset because of an import duty that our nation wants to put on Chinese tires coming in. Not in place yet, and percentages are still being discussed but it could be as high as 50%. Perhaps that will price them up where the tire problems we've seen reported in this and other forums finally get resolved for the better!! USA made tires may become competitive.....

On edit - Moderator -- I feel I was cautious in my comment above however, if you feel it is improper - feel free to delete as appropriate....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
And French ones? Korean? Japanese?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Skypilot, you are not too political at all. I posted on this topic also - haven't got my hand slapped... yet...

Tariffs on tires can be a political topic by default, but the market structure and potential changes in an area/product that is critical to RVers can't be ignored. These world events that impact us MOCers directly - like tire imports - can be discussed without bringing derogatory partisan politics into the fray.

It can also be discussed by bringing derogatory partisan politics into the fray... So far I don't see it here.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys JMHO but I think the Japanese tires are alot better than the china ones. My tire guy said the quality control in japan is exelent. I believe I remember rich saying almost the same thing. I have a new set of LT235/85/R16E falkens. A very good looking tire That pulls great and already has a 700 mile trip on them. again JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
David,

I like them a lot so far. I bought them in March on the recommendation of LonnieB. I have 3155 miles on them as of this writing. It is hard to pin it down but I think they are quieter and ride better than the OEM Tacoma's that were on the rig. As a recall, they were about $800 for four mounted, balanced and installed and the came to the park in Texas to put them on. And, Lonnie, thanks again for the advice. I just wish you had been a bit closer.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
So its wrong to say China is the Japan of 30 years ago? I looked at the tire I went to buy very close and was not suprised where they came from and where I left them "on the rack" Junk is Junk
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:

David,

I like them a lot so far. I bought them in March on the recommendation of LonnieB. I have 3155 miles on them as of this writing. It is hard to pin it down but I think they are quieter and ride better than the OEM Tacoma's that were on the rig. As a recall, they were about $800 for four mounted, balanced and installed and the came to the park in Texas to put them on. And, Lonnie, thanks again for the advice. I just wish you had been a bit closer.
Wow, if Lonnie recommended them, now I know I like them. I did ask my tire dealer where Bridgestones were made and he told me the US and Japan. He immediately qualified this by saying that Japan is nothing like the problems coming out of China. He was very happy with Bridgestone. He also made the "China junk" comment in our discussions.

The price I was quoted was $200 each installed/balanced. So that matches your price, David. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:

David,

Wow, if Lonnie recommended them, now I know I like them. I did ask my tire dealer where Bridgestones were made and he told me the US and Japan. He immediately qualified this by saying that Japan is nothing like the problems coming out of China. He was very happy with Bridgestone. He also made the "China junk" comment in our discussions.

The price I was quoted was $200 each installed/balanced. So that matches your price, David. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Imported goods such as tires, toasters and many other items are a fact of life in the our global world. What I don't understand is why junk like Mission tires and other brands like them can continue to put our lives at risk without the authorities doing something. The issue of shackle failure is another case in point. The RV industry and its suppliers seem to operate under the radar even when when such safety issues become evident. If these tire and suspension issues affected cars the companies and/or importers would have been dealt with. The Mission tire thread I started some time ago is still active and yet Tireco is still operating and is reported to be sending Freestar tires as replacements. It is horrible to think that a loss of life will be necessary before some action is taken by the appropriate authorities. Even something as simple as supplying each unit with a clearly written service manual/schedule similar to that supplied with all cars and trucks is not done. Instead a bundle of manuals, many of which cover several models, is provided requiring careful research to extract the info needed for a specific rig.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by berridge

Imported goods such as tires, toasters and many other items are a fact of life in the our global world. What I don't understand is why junk like Mission tires and other brands like them can continue to put our lives at risk without the authorities doing something. The issue of shackle failure is another case in point. The RV industry and its suppliers seem to operate under the radar even when when such safety issues become evident. If these tire and suspension issues affected cars the companies and/or importers would have been dealt with. The Mission tire thread I started some time ago is still active and yet Tireco is still operating and is reported to be sending Freestar tires as replacements. It is horrible to think that a loss of life will be necessary before some action is taken by the appropriate authorities. Even something as simple as supplying each unit with a clearly written service manual/schedule similar to that supplied with all cars and trucks is not done. Instead a bundle of manuals, many of which cover several models, is provided requiring careful research to extract the info needed for a specific rig.
I'm going to try to tip toe around this without getting into politics, but it will be difficult. Suffice it to say that there is a large segment off our population who abhors government intervention in these types of issues. Some are businesses (naturally) but many are plain folks like you and me. Their beliefs may be considered Libertarian or conservative, but revolve around the an economics principle that states that business is self regulating, meaning that if a business produces junk, the public will stop buying it. While that logic is in large part true, it doesn't always address the grey areas, such in this case, tires. I don't know percentages, but not all these tires have failed, and I know of no deaths or even serious injuries that resulted when they did fail.

The reality is these tires and their related problems effect such a small portion of our society that the overwhelming number of people and politicians in this country don't know or even care that the problem exists.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by berridge

Just curious. Did you file a complaint about the tires with the NHTSA? Lots of reported failures on the internet, but very few complaints at the NHTSA website. That amount will never get a recall.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Those are the ones I am looking at. How do you like them, David?
Dave,
I bought my Bridgestone Duravis tires from Lonnie at his recommendation 22 months ago and I've been very pleased with them. I think it pays to go with the experts and not just on what some of us consumers might think. We can only provide our experience.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote