Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Roof sealants

Question for today is about the grey goop that surrounds all the things that jut up through the roof. On our last outing I noticed that almost all of them had what I would describe as spider cracks developing. So...do I need to remove the old and put down new, or is it OK to cover the old over with new? What is the stuff called, how do I clean it, etc? Thanks for any input!!

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Question for today is about the grey goop that surrounds all the things that jut up through the roof. On our last outing I noticed that almost all of them had what I would describe as spider cracks developing. So...do I need to remove the old and put down new, or is it OK to cover the old over with new? What is the stuff called, how do I clean it, etc? Thanks for any input!!
I think what you want is a good caulk. I always buy what is recommended for rubber roofs. I caulk around things that jut up with self-leveling caulk. Most RV dealers handle this stuff. If you're using caulk on the roof itself (like to seal a little hole), then you should use Dicor recommended sealant that is designed for rubber roofs. Our rig is 13 years old and I've always just caulked over the spider cracks.I hope this puts you in the right direction.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The Product is Dicor Rv Sealant it is self leveling They have a website that will instruct you on using this product including preparing the surface. Price should be $10 to $12 for a caulking cartridge. This is the product the trailer mfg use
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wonder if the spider cracks are just on the surface, and not all the way down? But Orv is 'spot on' as the British say, Dicor is the best covering to use. Be cautious, as is seems to seek out human flesh.. I always get about as much on me as the roof.
Ken and I posted at the same time, he is also 'Spot on'
They sell it for vertical and a different stuff for flat surfaces also. I carry it cheaper than the price above, I think around $8.19 or so, may be a bit higher.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote