Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #21
John Shasky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11165
On my 200t Montana, I had to replace the left landing gear as it was un-greased from the factory. It was blowing fuses. warranty repair replace fuse with larger fuse! continued to fail until the landing gear failed completely. My Good Sam extended warranty would not pay full price for the replacement as they said that they would only pay wholesale price. Dealer couldn't get that price. Of curse that is a whole different issue. After $100 deductible and my cost of about $200 my share for the part and a damaged landing leg sent to my home by Lippert (they sent a new one), I had the new one installed and greased the right side. No problems since. I did trade the 2007 in for a 2014 with Level up system. I also have a new left landing gear available for sale cheap!

John Shasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #22
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
A old-timer told me that on a side to side sloping site to make sure both front legs take the weight at the same time either by shimming the low side pad or adjusting the leg holes otherwise one jackleg is taking all the stress till the other one catches up and over time _ _it can happen.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #23
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
About a year after I bought our Montana 3485 the landing gear failed for the third time. I called Venture, the maker of the landing gear, and they told me it should be a dual motor system. So, I bought the new master landing gear for the right side, the motor, wiring harness, and a rebuild kit for the original left side. Cut out a lot of steel to install the right side jack-screw, and found that the jack-screw was 1/4" bigger that the original, thus, would not fit. Grind some more. I called Venture, and they told me that their tolerances were that big. Got it finally installed, and the left rebuilt side failed in the driveway. Called again, and they told me. " probably the ballnut." Ended up buying another jack-screw (more grinding because it was 1/4" bigger) for the left side Don't buy the rebuild kit, since the ballnut fails and it is not in the kit and they don't sell it.). Also, the wiring harness is 3" so you need 6' more wire (10 guage) to reach across the 5th wheel. It now works and since the jack-screws are independent each can be lowered to the ground and the the entire can be raised uniformly. However, if I had to do over again I would have gone hydraulic.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote