Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Sometimes Pet Ownership SUX( update)

Murphy's bad knee went south in a bad way this last week. We took her to the vet today and they did 480.00 worth of xrays and told us we could cut off the bad leg but that the good knee has got arthritis in it too so it may be better to put her down. We have been thinking about this for the last year since they did the 3300.00 TPLO surgery which did not work. We hoped the new drug trial this spring would work, it did for a week or so but things have been just going down hill for the last few weeks. She is still sleeping off the reversible sedative they gave her and won't drink or eat anything. She is squeaking which she NEVER does. She has always been very stoic and sort of aloof to her pain but not is vocalizing it. We can't handle her hurting like this and if it doesn't get better by tomorrow then we will have to put her down before Monday because her quality of life is crap at the moment. We thought we might not be bringing her home with us when we left last fall but at the time it was just talk. Now we are down to the wire and it never gets easier. Since Betsy and I have been together we have had to put down two dogs and one cat. I also found my last yellow lab just after he was hit and killed by a neighbor on an icy road. I keep swearing that I won't get another but here we are with two, soon to be one large labs. I have had pet skunks (descented), ferrets, sugar gliders and dogs and it hurts like hell every time one dies or has to be put down. I know exactly how Tammy and Bernie feel right now as I have been there many times and it never gets easier. Murphy has always been a physical dog, head buts and hugs were more important to her than kisses. Gonna miss her. Beau is the kissy snuggle dog. I really do not want another dog at the moment. Maybe in a year or after we get home but maybe not. Betsy has said since we got this new rig that when the dogs are gone we won't get any more till we move back to sticks and bricks. I guess that tomorrow will tell... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, I'm sitting here crying with you and for you. We are still walking in your shoes and we miss Little Bit so bad it hurts. She was our shadow for almost 12 years. The other day I made a sandwich for lunch. I was putting some chips on my plate and dropped one. I called her to come and get it. Then remembered she isn't here. I sat and cried. We know we did the right thing for her, but we didn't like it one bit.

You'll do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. You are in our prayers, both for wisdom and comfort.
Tammy

Reading thru the tears, I am fully convinced that as much as it hurts at the end, every day from our first meeting with our pets are pure love. Pain heals quickly, the love and memories last your entire life.
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave and Betsy,
I know first hand what you and Tammy and Bernie, and all the others who have furry friends are going through. It is a very tough decision that one has to make. We have had dogs since 1961 when we first got married. We have had our share of decisions to make, and we would turn right around and rescue one from the SPCA and every one of them was loved till the end. The decision is about the quality of life that the little furry one will have. Dogs can live with three legs with no problem, and I have even seen dogs that had wheels under their butt because both back legs were gone, and they did fine.

God bless and help you in your decisions.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dave and Betsy I am so sorry to hear about Murphy and I can also relate to your feelings.We had a large Old English that lived to be 13 years old,she ended up with cancer and we had to lay her to rest. We now have our two labs,the same color as your two,these dogs have gone through two TPLO's each and it hurts to watch their pain and suffering. My chocolate today threw up twice and is very quiet which is upsetting to me,their sisters and are 10 years old.
I pray to God,there truly is a RainBow Bridge. Murphy is in our prayers.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al and I are very sorry to hear about this, and send forth good thoughts and prayers. It really is a tough time.

We lost our little Abby at the end of September, and we both still have moments when we remember her, with saddness cause she is gone, and smiles for the little imp she was.

God bless, your love for your furr kid shows through in your post and you will do the right thing, when needed, cause ya love that furry soul and, well, you will do the right thing.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Dave and Betsy,

I am so sorry to hear about Murphy, it is so hard to see them in pain, but I will pray that she rallies and feels better. I think the decision is the hardest part. Labs are wonderful dogs, all our best to you.

Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
The decision to send a dog, (or any other animal), to The Rainbow Bridge is never an easy decision. Obviously, one must weigh the quality of life issue very carefully. My DW managed a Vet Hospital in Alaska for 12 years and saw many very happy three legged dogs during her stay their. As a matter of fact, one of the Doctors had a three legged dog that loved life. The decision to replace a pet is also a very difficult decision. Sometimes it is better to wait for the grieving process to occur fully and sometimes it is best to go for it right away. When replacing, one should consider a different breed as you may have a tendency to compare the lost pet to the new one. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometihing to consider. Cathy and I sent our Sam (golden Retriever) to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge back in August, last year and there isn't a day goes by that we don't think of him. We only had him for 5 years, but what good times they were. Are we ready for another? We don't feel we are yet. Being fulltimers does present a different situation for pet owners as you all know. When we are ready we will probably seek out an older dog that needs to be rescued and possibly a different breed. This is the longest we have been without a dog in our 39 years of marriage.

I only write this to share our feelings and experiences with those of you going thru this process. Whatever your decision is, you have our support and prayers. God bless our furry friends as they are truly Gods gift to us......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Thank you sooo much to everyone for your support. I had suggested last year that we do another TPLO on the other knee and amputate her bad leg. I have no problem with a three legged dog. However, now the arthritis in her other knee is obvious so it's not an option anymore and it wouldn't have lasted that long anyway if we had done what I had wanted to do. Also, she has no good leg until her surgical knee gets better.
Dave and I have discussed wheels but I don't know much about them. And, as hard as it is, there has to come a time when enough is enough. That is our responsibility as pet owners. When Dave and I reach the end of our lives, we will be greeted by our wonderful pets, all of them.
We still have the big boy and he is a sweetie.
We will take Murph in to the ortho vet tomorrow (Tuesday) and until then, we will keep her as comfortable as possible. If something else happens in the meantime, we can still can call the vet today or the emergency vet tonight.
Once again, thanks for all the support in what is a horrible time.
Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So sorry Dave and Betsy. You two will be in our thoughts.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Betsy and Dave,

We are sooo sorry to hear about Murphy. We'll be thinking good thoughts and praying for all of you tomorrow.

Robin and Doug
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We just got back from the Vet that did Murphy's surgery. This was the last stop before we put her down. Well Murphy got a reprieve, We are trying her on a new course of injections that coat the damaged joints with a synovial fluid replacement. One shot a week for 4 weeks. Then one shot every two or three weeks from then on. About 30 dollars a shot and I can administer them. She has improved a lot since three days ago as she was totally stoned on pain meds for most of that time. They worked their magic and she started to eat yesterday and drinking water the day before. She is now back to what she was before went down last week. So we will see what happens in the next few weeks. Kind of strange situation, Saturday night we were ready to put her down and now she seems relatively normal. Glad we waited. We are heading back to Cheese Land starting Thursday, we will be spend a couple days in Kings Bay to do laundry then west on I-10 to I-55 and north to Cheddar Land..
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Woo Hoo! Now, that's great news! You just brought a big smile to my face! But probably not as big as your smile! Y'all be safe traveling and be sure to keep us posted!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
That, indeed, is great news! I hope the stuff does the job and you have a lot more time with your "pup". It is amazing how quickly they can go from bad to good! Sort of like little kids in that respect.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

We just got back from the Vet that did Murphy's surgery. This was the last stop before we put her down. Well Murphy got a reprieve, We are trying her on a new course of injections that coat the damaged joints with a synovial fluid replacement. One shot a week for 4 weeks. Then one shot every two or three weeks from then on. About 30 dollars a shot and I can administer them. She has improved a lot since three days ago as she was totally stoned on pain meds for most of that time. They worked their magic and she started to eat yesterday and drinking water the day before. She is now back to what she was before went down last week. So we will see what happens in the next few weeks. Kind of strange situation, Saturday night we were ready to put her down and now she seems relatively normal. Glad we waited. We are heading back to Cheese Land starting Thursday, we will be spend a couple days in Kings Bay to do laundry then west on I-10 to I-55 and north to Cheddar Land..
That's great news Dave and Besty. I sometimes think they feel neglected because you haven't spent any money on them lately. LOL
We'll keep those prayers going,I know she'll turn out alright.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
If this stuff works with dogs then I hope the FDA approves it for my use, my knees are worse than Murphy's. What the hell, I am already doing a shot every Saturday night for my MS, another would just be frosting on the cake.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
EXCELLENT news on the fur kid!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #18
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Dave and Betsy,

Hooray!! So glad to hear that Murphy rallied and so happy to hear she is back to her old self so to speak. I'm going to go give my girls an extra hug since I can't send one to Murphy. Love those Labs!! Eat some cheese curds for me when you get to cheeseland, both my parents were born and raised in Wisconsin, so I spent many summer vacations in the Dairy State.

Sharon

krtam is offline   Reply With Quote