Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Hauling Small Personal Watercraft on a Montana

Our plans are to spend a great deal of time “on the road” fly fishing in both rivers and lakes upon semi retirement. We are trying to make our 5er decision with this in mind. It would appear that either a single or double seated pontoon inflatable is the most viable option. I have seen bike and motorcycle racks on the tail ends of 5ers. I know there is a ladder and tail light visability issues back there to take into consideration.

Some 5ers have hitches under the rear end that hold about 500lbs. Would it be possible to have an aluminum box with security locks on it built on the rear to hold a personal water craft.? Some of the pontoon watercraft models have aluminum frames that may or may not fit into such a box, but perhaps the frame could ride on top of the box and secured in an upright position if the frame were built correctly.

Anyone seen anything along these lines in their travels? Most pontoon watercraft weight under 500lbs when broken down. Some even have the ability to put a 12v trolling motor on the frame. We are not big bass/lake fishers. Mostly trout, but that may change over the course of time.

The other option might be the bed of the TV, but we are hoping to leave room for an auxiliary gas tank or a gen set down the road. We will be hauling with a F350 DRW. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Robert & Kerri

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz has posted a series on a rack he put on the back of his Montana...may want to check with him. Pretty sure the existing hitch is not rated at 500 lbs...if you need that much weight capacity you will likely have to do some work on the existing hitch; however, I seem to remember some member comments on how the increased weight on the back of the Montana might cause some frame issues??????????????? Have you done some measurements in your truck bed to see if you could just carry your water craft in the truck bed??
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robert & Keri, Keystone says the tongue weight for the installed hitch should not exceed 200 lbs. They only want you carrying bicycles on it, that's why it's only 1 1/4 inches. Have you looked into the "Foldaboat" watercraft (I think that's what it's called)? I have seen these under the fiver and on the side of the fiver. Might be worth looking into. Hope this helps.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Robert,
The Montana company really does not like to have anything more than around 200# on the Lippert frame, but many do and are doing fine.
My hitch is about as stout as they come, but I don't know about 500#, the carrier is rated for 500-600#, the hitch for 500#...the frame...??
Many have suggested the small trailers with one or even two swivel wheels. I would go with that if it were me and I could afford it.

Here is the hitch and carrier:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another alternative to consider is installing a front hitch (I have Hidden Hitch) on your truck. You can get the trays that are rated for 500 pounds that go into the hitch. You will have to check clearance of headlights though. I have carried a bike rack with four bikes in this manner for years. I am moving the bikes to the back of the rig and am considering an aluminum or steel tray for the front for added carrying capacity. I installed my front hitch in less than an hour at a very reasonable cost.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I have a 10'6" inflatable with inflatable keel and a solid removable floor. It will take an outboard motor and is stable and roomy enough for two adults. It weighs 117 lbs and deflated fits in my storage compartment. I have taken to putting it in on the bed inside the Montana deflated and in its bags and on a piece of plastic. My DW and I can carry it inflated almost anywhere. This is the model I purchased but they are available in different brands with different options. Just make sure it has a keel as without one it is like rowing a inner rubber tube.

http://www.seabrightmarine.ca/sd330.html
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I bought one of the boats off this company. They have 1, 2, & 3 person boats and I can carry a 12' aluminum boat on my over cab rack. See pic in my signature.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have a 10 ft port a bote that folds up to just 8 inches high and I carry it underneath my 3400. I think it weights about 80 lbs carrys two people.
http://www.porta-bote.com/

above is their web site. I think there are several of us on the MOC that have this boat. Some have the 12 footer and some the 14 footer.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have the porta boat also. Carried it under the 2955. Works great. They do sell brackets for the side but kinda hard to attach it to the side of the Montana but people have with good success. We have thought of putting it on a rack over the cab of the truck also.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I don't think the stoutness of the hitch is the issue...it's the weak Lippert frame. That's why Keystone says put only bikes back there.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I like to fish, mainly fly-fish and have been trying to resolve the same issue. I have a rubber inflatable, no keel and hard to get out of much less fly-fish from. Have a bass boat and Jon boat, can’t double tow. At the camping shows I looked at the Porta-Bote and the guy said he has customers that fly-fish standing on the seats. If you can stand in the SeaBright I would think that would work also. We both know we can fly fish sitting down but standing is better. I will be following this discussion real close.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I use both the Pontoon Boat and Aluminum Boat for fly fishing. The boat loader is is adaptable from 10' to 16' boats. This is who I bought mine from.
http://www.loadit.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
We appreciate the info! Ozz’s platform is EXACTLY what we are looking for. If you ever decide to open a cottage industry making 5er rear cargo platforms please put us on the list!

We are leaning toward a Outcast FishCat 13 which is a double seated pontoon boat with aluminum frame. Single seaters are probably easier to deal with, but… “we are in this together!!” (Translation…. I row, she fishes, she catches fish and brags about it to anyone who will listen….). Here is an article in FlyFishing magazine about inflatable pontoon rafts and a link to Outcast.

http://www.flyfishmagazine.com/html/..._pontoons.html

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/.../catalogs.aspx

If left assembled the frame is 109” high by 57.25” wide. It can be broken down further which would of course require reassembly at location. It ships in two boxes of 54”x26”x12” and one box 8”x6”x69” which are the oars. Total shipping weight 147lbs. That doesn’t include accessories like pumps, anchors etc.

It would be preferable to leave most of the frame assembled and then secured to the rear of the fiver. Does Keystone sell an accessory bike hitch for the back of the units? If so, what are they rated at? Probably just have to bite the bullet, buy the pontoon raft and then discover the most efficient way to carry the largest frame assembly on the Montana.

We are going to do this, so eventually our success (or failures) will be known. Thanks again for all the suggestions. It’s really nice to know there are a good number of fishermen out there in the community.

Cheers,

Robert & Kerri
Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Robert and Kerri,
Thank you, feel free to copy it and make it yours.
Keystone purposely just installs, or OK's install of a 1-1/4 receiver hitch, so you can't load them up with cargo.
I pushed the Max at my weights, Don't think I could have gone much heavier build-wise. I can carry more than I would feel comfy with carrying on the Lippert frame.
Remember, if you want to carry something heavy and large the two-wheeled swivel wheel trailers seem to be the answer.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
These are all very intresting and something to ponder. I have been towing a LOWE 165S behind my 2955RK up until lately. I had a MorRyde pin box installed and that put me a little over the legal towing limit. When the wife found out, there went my RV and Fishing trip combos. Sure hate to get a shorter RV or boat but I like the over the cab set-up for a second smaller boat..
OldRetiredMSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #16
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
"I had a MorRyde pin box installed and that put me a little over the legal towing limit"

Thanks for the info Top... were you overweight or too long?